No more 123's for me !!!

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
No more 123\'s for me !!!

I now have PILA batteries for all of my small tactical lights.
Surefire G2/G2Z/3Z and I have PILA's in all of them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Pila GL2R/GL3R/GL3X/GL4R, all have Pila's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif GL3R is mounted on a shotgun
Streamlight Ultrastinger, Surefire 8NX (nicd), not as nice as Li-ion but rechargeable.

I still have my P60/61 lamps and a bunch of disposable's laying around , but I won't use them except in an emergency or for hi output

Darell

Flashaholic
Re: No more 123\'s for me !!!

Excellent, madecov. Renewable is a slick way to go. Next thing you'll know you'll even want a rechargeable car, or something crazy like that.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

Or some "bare" Li-ions at 25% the cost of Pilas!

123s are for suckers! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif

Peter

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

Rechargeables are the way to go. I have about a dozen Pilas. I only buy 123's for testing mods that I build for others.

i7r7

Newly Enlightened

If only we could get Pilas in Australia /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Oh well, looks like I'll continue paying $6AUD for each 123 battery.

Jeff

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast

I got a question for you guys, Are the flashlights just as bright with those rechargeables? At $1.25, 123's ain't to bad. Is the voltage up to 3 volts? What is percentage runtime? (123 vs PILA). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
NikolaTesla

An Arc is the Spark that takes away the Dark--

**Sig is too long...Edited**

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm almost there too. When Gransee makes 2x123 packs for the Arc4, I'll be 123-free. After that, I'll be like Darell and Gransee and buy a rechargeable car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Darell

Flashaholic

*WARNING* off-topic response to CM....

Darell has a rechargeable car. Gransee has a migh-mileage gas car with a bit of battery assist. Today's hybrids recharge the same way that "tradional" cars operate - by burning gasoline. Mine burns nothing.... just need to point out this fine detail.

*WARNING MODE OFF*

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast

i7r7: JSBurlys ships Pilas worldwide

NikolaTesla : Lithium-Ions are 4.2v. As to runtimes, it depends on what lights you use them in, but it will be slightly less than CR123 primaries. The 168s pila is the same size as 2x123, but only has 1400mAh. Typical CR123s have around 1300mAh.

Once you go rechargable, you'll never look back...i just keep CR123s around for my M6.

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Nikola,

I posted the comparison with my L4, but the post seems to have disappeared.

Here is a comparison of my L4. On 123's it produces 570 candela and runs to half brightness in 85 minutes. On Pila's it produces 510 candela and runs to half brightness in 55 minutes.

Tom

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast

I guess I haven't paid enough attention but I thought that Li-ions will over-drive the lamps in lights like Scorpion, TL-3, TT-1&2 etc.

1) Must different lamps be subsitiuted for the originals?

2) A Pila 168 will equal the run time of a 123?

3) Minimum cost of ten generic (but acceptable & available "168s") plus charger?

4) Number of useable recharge cycles and does capacity diminish with each recharge?

Some day I'd like to go with "123" Li-ions, or something better, but cannot afford it now. Because there are positives and disadvantages to everything, what is the downside to Li-ions besides cost?

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Darell said:
*WARNING* off-topic response to CM....

Darell has a rechargeable car. Gransee has a migh-mileage gas car with a bit of battery assist. Today's hybrids recharge the same way that "tradional" cars operate - by burning gasoline. Mine burns nothing.... just need to point out this fine detail.

*WARNING MODE OFF*

[/ QUOTE ]

OT response. DOH! I committed yet another faux pas. You're absolutely right and I understand your wanting to make that extremely important distinction.

CM

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Darell,

Just to clarify your off topic information...

What exactly is a "migh-mileage" car?

Tom

Darell

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
SilverFox said:
Hello Darell,

Just to clarify your off topic information...

What exactly is a "migh-mileage" car?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think what I was getting at is that when people first see the sticker on a hybrid, they're often heard to say "Migh, that's high mileage!"

Thanks for asking. I hope this clears it up.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gifDarell never makes typos.

cy

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
LitFuse said:
Or some "bare" Li-ions at 25% the cost of Pilas!

123s are for suckers! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gifPeter

[/ QUOTE ]

Where can you get li-ions at 1/4 cost of pila's?

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

cy,

We got some Li-Ions a while back on a group buy from China. You can still get them domestically at reasonable prices. Check out sabahoceanic.com or slavin4u.com. They run less than $10 each depending on size/capacity. Be forewarned about the dangers of bare cells. DO NOT use these unless you are aware of the risks and are willing to accept them and indemnify me and cpf yadayadayada. Seriously, please be careful with them and only use the proper charger, do not short circuit etc. etc.