Thinking about giving up my retrofitted HIDs and going back to stock + HIRs?

2fast2furious

Newly Enlightened
I have a 14 Ford Focus SE (US model), which I believe uses H11 for low beam (Europe may use H7).

Due to having issues with my HID retrofit (was very happy with them when there was no issues) and my being unwilling to pay someone or a shop to fix the issues, I'm thinking of just putting my stock lights back on and replacing the bulbs with HIRs.

I found out that these Osram Rallye have been discontinued (although, not sure if I could have used them anyway, as it's H7, and I think I have H11).

From the CPInc store, I was directed to its replacement, the "Vosla H7 +120 bulb." Again, not sure if I can even use that because it's H7. I did find this Vosla H11 version, though.

From this thread indicating that the Rallye have been discontinued, and specifically, this post, it looks like the Vosla may not be a good replacement, but is still pretty good overall.

I'm looking for increased visibility for night driving. I don't do any performance related activities. I mainly drive in city streets or freeways at night. Mainly, suburban driving.

Which HIRs are right for me?

I'm concerned about not burning anything out in the cabling, so perhaps the Philips Xtreme Vision XTV (not sure if those come in H11)? Would the Vosla H11 burn anything out as it might be an over wattage bulb?

Thank you!

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Welcome to the board.

You're doing the right thing. Halogen headlamps only work safely, effectively, and legally with halogen bulbs. You might have been happy with your HID kit, but it was dangerous (not to mention illegal): wrong amounts of light everywhere, way too much light close to the car, way too much glare, etc. There is a way to have legitimate HID headlamps in a '14 Focus: install the original Ford optional HID headlamp assemblies. They're expensive even on the used-parts market ( www.hollanderparts.com or www.car-part.com ).

Your halogen lamps take H11 low beam bulbs and H1 high beam bulbs, and those are the only kind that will fit and work. There are no HIR bulbs that will fit. An H7 won't fit or work. Another thing that won't work is "LED bulbs", no matter what brand they are.

The best H11s are these or these (no strong preference between them).

Headlamp aim is super crucial; it's the top main thing that determines how well you can see to drive at night. See here for a good description of headlamp aiming.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

-Virgil-'s already covered the long and short of it. Those HIDs may have been visually impressive, but they were a severe downgrade for you and the drivers you share the road with.

All I can add is that if you're the kind of person that hangs on to cars a really long time, and if the rest of the car is mechanically sound and looks good and is overall pleasing to you, then the correct factory equipment HID upgrade may be well worth it. Aside from that, getting the recommended H11s for your low beams, and the Philips X-Treme Vision H1 for the high beams, is the way to go.

That car, potentially made and put into service in 2013, may need a good examination of the lenses; it doesn't take long for sun and weathering to damage them. Based on that, you may be due for new lamps *anyway*. That might make the swap to the factory HID lamps a little more competitive-- if the used parts you get are also not in poor condition.

And, of course, correct aim is important. The best headlamps are no good if misaimed.

2fast2furious

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to the board.

And, of course, correct aim is important. The best headlamps are no good if misaimed.

Thanks, guys!

I am intruiged about the idea of OEM HIDs, but I do not believe that they exist in the US for my make and model. I believe the ST model in Europe may have HIDs as as package option, but I don't think that is available in America. Assuming the price is right, I may consider those. [EDIT: I just looked at those links and the prices for the ST xenon lights range from $650-1300, usually, for just one side. I think I've already spent about $650 or so on parts/labor, not to mention the many many hours getting everything together, so I don't think I'm willing to shell out any significant sum as above for OEM HIDs).

In the interim, I may just go back to my stock lights. I have them sitting a box in the trunk of another non-operable car, so hopefully they have not been damaged by the elements.

Are there no HIRs for me to use for H11?

And otherwise, Philips H11 X-tremeVision seems to have better reviews than the GE Lighting H11 55NHX/BP2 Nighthawk Xenon Halogen. I don't care about that "BMW/LED bright white" look, but do care about increased visibility on the road for me. The Philips also has 10x as many reviews as the GE bulbs.

2fast2furious

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to the board.

You're doing the right thing.

I had posted a message earlier but it's either stuck in moderation or it didn't successfully post.

I appreciate the comments.

The OEM xenon/HIDs for the ST model that can possibly swapped into my SE are quite expensive ($650-1300 per side) and I don't think I'll be spending that much on an econobox Focus :p, especially after having spent quite a bit of money and a lot of time and effort to get the current pair working. Everything was fine functionally before I left the car at the shop for an extended period of time (about a month) and when I got the car back, it was not working.

Guess it's just bad luck on my part!

Unfortunate to hear that there is no HIR available for my headlight type. Are the Philips the best bulbs to buy? I am willing to spend up to $50/pair if it means improved lighting. Not sure if you guys were just being cautious due to the price of the bulbs, or those Philips are the best ones to get. I think I'd opt for the Philips over the GEs, as the Philips have 10x more reviews and a better rating on Amazon.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had posted a message earlier but it's either stuck in moderation or it didn't successfully post.
I see a previous post; it may have been released from moderation after you posted this one. Probably best to wait for a post to come out of moderation than to make another, since it would just also go to the queue.

The OEM xenon/HIDs for the ST model that can possibly swapped into my SE are quite expensive ($650-1300 per side) and I don't think I'll be spending that much on an econobox Focus :p, especially after having spent quite a bit of money and a lot of time and effort to get the current pair working.

I understand not wanting to spend a lot of money on an inexpensive, non-classic/collector/rare car, but there's still value in a car that quite reliably gets you from Point A to Point B, or Point A to Point G by way of a few interim points. Sadly, spending money on your current HID setup was not well spent-- it wasn't really going to succeed no matter how reliably the lights turned on.

Everything was fine functionally before I left the car at the shop for an extended period of time (about a month) and when I got the car back, it was not working.
From a technical standpoint, the lights were inoperative the moment they were changed.

Are the Philips the best bulbs to buy? I am willing to spend up to $50/pair if it means improved lighting.

Between the two H11 bulbs posted, buy on price. Right now, the Philips will win that contest. Both are excellent choices that represent the state-of-the-art in H11 bulbs. For the H1 between the X-Treme Vision and the NightHawk Xenon it's probably also true.

In the interim, I may just go back to my stock lights. I have them sitting a box in the trunk of another non-operable car, so hopefully they have not been damaged by the elements.
So long as the lenses weren't exposed to UV light, or had mechanical exposure (like sitting lens down on a scratchy surface) they should be fine. Also check for dust ingress; if they were in a box that shouldn't be a problem. You can rinse them out with distilled water (there's also a labor-intensive cleaning method here, with my preferred cleaner being Simple Green but Windex is just fine) and dry them in a warm, dry area, lens down on soft cloth so the moisture evaporates up and out).

Not sure if you guys were just being cautious due to the price of the bulbs, or those Philips are the best ones to get. I think I'd opt for the Philips over the GEs, as the Philips have 10x more reviews and a better rating on Amazon.
Careful of reviews, though-- you'll find excellent reviews of the deeply tinted blue toy bulbs, the worthless LED drop-ins, and people giving a one-star review for an excellent product because they didn't like the UPS driver's attitude. And then there are shill reviews and the like.

Last edited: