Help troubleshooting 2013 F150 HID headlights

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all.

I need a little bit of assistance with diagnosing and issue I have with my 2013 Ford F150 HID headlights. They are a D3S format. When I turn on the headlights, the driver side functions just fine, but the passenger side will rapidly flicker for about 1/2 - 1sec and then shutoff. Is this indicative of:
  • The bulb going bad
  • The igniter going bad
  • The ballast going bad
  • Other

Thanks!

Ls400

Enlightened
Have you tried switching the passenger and driver's side bulbs?

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not had a chance to do that yet. It started happening early this morning, and I just wanted to see if anyone had any input in this before I dive in.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
2013 Ford F150 HID headlights. They are a D3S format.

MY13 can mean built/put in service in CY12-- it's now very nearly 2019 so you've got 7-year old arc-discharge capsules. It's probably them.

Swap the capsule positions. Did it follow the capsule? If yes, replace both capsules at the same time.

Did it stay on the original side? Then it's probably the ballast-- the igniter is integral to the D3S.

Last edited:

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
MY13 can mean built/put in service in CY12-- it's now very nearly 2018 so you've got 7-year old arc-discharge capsules. It's probably them.

Swap the capsule positions. Did it follow the capsule? If yes, replace both capsules at the same time.

Did it stay on the original side? Then it's probably the ballast-- the igniter is integral to the D3S.

Ahhh. That's right. The igniter is part of the D3S assembly. I'm so used to the D2S format. So really, only two things I need to worry about. Capsules or ballasts. Thanks for the input everyone.

Moderator Note
I messed up my dates and arithmetic involved. Oops.

--Alaric D

Last edited by a moderator:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
If it does turn out to be the bulb/igniter (problem moves to the other side with the bulb when you swap them), you might as well upgrade for better seeing; put in a pair of these. And either way, have the lamps aimed with a machine.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it does turn out to be the bulb/igniter (problem moves to the other side with the bulb when you swap them), you might as well upgrade for better seeing; put in a pair of these. And either way, have the lamps aimed with a machine.

I've been eyeing those as well, thanks to the ever helpful, useful, and validated information you two have provided on this forum. :) It really helps us to sift through all of the junk products and information with regards to automotive lighting.