Psa/topic of discussion, or perhaps help

JasonOk

Newly Enlightened
I've got a 2005 gmc sierra 2500hd truck which originally came with 9005/9006 reflector headlights. Common upgrade or so i thought for this truck was the c-3/denalli lighting package, which replaces the reflectors for projectors what except 9005 high/low. Changed those out for the 9011's toshiba's from a good source, and have had a great driving experience since.
So why the post and where's the but?
Well while they are great going down the road, hell i rarely even need the high beams, i find it lacking in the low speed neighborhood environment.
I can count more times than once a pedestrian has surprised me out of the shadows, and for me thats to risky, i don't want to be that guy driving around with the fog beams on but i don't want to run anyone over either.
Question: did i miss something or do these lights need some supplement in low speed high pedestrian traffic environments?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
A couple of basic questions: (1) Did you put in genuine GM headlamp units? (2) How (meaning both what procedure, and what setting/specification) were the lamps aimed?

JasonOk

Newly Enlightened
Answers: (1) yes they were purchased through gm and researched the brand upon receiving because i guess i expected it to say gm or acdelco, however they had different branding on them and after checking that out i realized that gm had outsourced that part for production, and that these were truly designed to be in the vehicle.
(2) i haven't been able to find a shop in central oklahoma that has an optical aiming tool, so i did my best with the wall method at work. We have about 100 yards of decent level concrete and a wall of course which i used. (anybody know of a shop around central oklahoma with an optical machine? i could keep them busy lol.)
I think the biggest problem here pedestrians walking around in dark clothing. Reflecting back on said occasions i can't remember anytime they were wearing something bright and just seemed to appear out the shadows.
However just making sure i've done everything i can do to avoid any problems

Last edited:

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
I know what you are saying. A good many years ago, I stopped at an uncontrolled residential intersection in Seattle's University District (full dark and not close to a street light), put on my right signal, and began to let the clutch out. At that instant, without pausing or slowing, a person in black ran off the right curb and directly in front of me (note: college kids who have been told pedestrians have the right of way, often assume that makes them invulnerable to harm from vehicles, regardless of their behavior). That still ranks as one of my closest calls. I'm still not sure how much I should credit the clear Cibie series 175 fogs mounted below the bumper (big lights with 120 degree wide beam pattern, and they were lit) and how much credit goes to the fact my 1978 Saab 99 Turbo had cornering lights. But I'm glad I had wider light than just the low beams from my 5-3/4 Cibie H4s.

Width and coverage of low beam patterns certainly does vary, even though they meet the same mandatory standards. I live up in the hills these days, but still have similar concerns about seeing to the side. Two days ago, I swung around a sharp curve on our two lane blacktop highway, and saw a bull elk along the road, big enough that I flashed back to my experience with moose in residental yards in Anchorage. I was driving the Crown Victoria, not the Corolla, but I have a friend who totalled an F250 on an elk. You do not want to hit one. I was glad he turned around and headed over the bank when I leaned on the horn(s). I was on my way to check our other property; when I arrived I headed across the field and into the woods to check a log barn there. I found that what I wanted most was not long range light, so much as light to the side so I could see what I was turning toward as I made a full lock turn.

I really liked my Cibie booster beam auxiliary low beams (I bemoan their fate in another thread here), because they combine the wide spread and lack of upward glare one expects in a fog light, with a center hot spot that outranges my low beams. If you have fresh genuine GM lights, properly aimed, and you are still not happy, it might be time to think about auxiliary lights (only after you have done all you can with headlights). I know Virgil has mentioned a time or two that the Bosch Compact 100 fog has enough extra reach in the center of the beam that it might serve the auxiliary low function better than most fogs.

I just wanted to wish you success with your lights, and let you know others have similar issues with seeing to the sides.

Last edited by a moderator:

JasonOk

Newly Enlightened
I just wanted to wish you success with your lights, and let you know others have similar issues with seeing to the sides.

Thanks bud!
I do have space on my vehicle for some kind of side mounted work/flood light if deemed sensible

Last edited by a moderator:

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
I intend to do just that on my old F250. Police and security patrol cars have run "alley lights" for many years. There are times when you really want to look to the side and see if it's passable or there's a stump in the way (like last night, when I checked our other property in the lifted Jeep, then decided to cut across the recently selective logged area to come out on the other side next to the two story high brush pile - after all, I did it in daytime with the tractor). The factory fogs are not at their best, but they did help me see to the sides.