What kind of LED / reflector combo is best for a very NARROW spill / strong hotspot?

I need a light for parking lot patrol and I'm trying to figure out what LED/reflector type combo is necessary because the lot is already super well lit, I just need to see into the woods / behind bushes / sheds without lighting up the other areas.

I compared everything I own, and my deep reflector lights like MH20GT and Skylumen Delta (oslon Manker U21) have the most narrow beams, but I don't own many lights, and these are still WAY too wide spill. I basically want a really wide angle LEP thrower or similar, so that from 100ft away, you only light up an area about the size of a car. No more, no less.

Sadly zoomie, zoomed mostly in, seems to be my only conclusion, and I don't like this solution. Are there any other ways of having a tight beam profile? Very very very narrow angle spill?

hsa

Enlightened
A standard 2 dcell Maglite has 168 lumens with almost 43k cd. It has about a 4degree beam and if you put a glass lens in it will light up a 2" reflector to look like a brake light at a quarter mile. It will do it all night on fresh batteries and is great in foggy/hazy conditions.

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I like the Maglite for this too. The spill can be made pretty dim and throw is far and pretty tight. I have a tall tree in back a quite a few yards away (not sure exactly), but I use it as an aiming point to see differences in my lights. Another one with good throw in a smaller package with not a lot of spill is the older Malkoff M60 that can be found on old Elzettas or sometimes on their own. I would prefer the newer Malkoff throw lights, but they will have more spill than the M60. The M60 on an Elzetta Bravo is a pretty small package and you can always buy other Malkoff drop ins for it along with a lens kit.

jeff51

Newly Enlightened
Take a look at the wowtac a3 and a3s. These are basically a quality version of the lens type focusing lights. Focused to spot there is basically no spill.
And you can get them on Amazon and don't have to wait for a China shipment.
Amazon link removed Bullzeyebill

Last edited by a moderator:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are two factors. One, as you said, the deeper the reflector the narrower the beam, with less spill. Two, the smaller the die on the LED in that deep reflector, the less spill. Unfortunately, the smaller LED will usually mean less output. You may have to look to a light that has an aspheric lens, since those do a good job of collimating most of the light into the center beam.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the HDS 250 rotary which is amazing for a 250 lumen light. It matches my First-Light Tomahawk at over 150 yards. Xp-g2 Cree
I was first using this in Logistics security, patrols, etc. but now it's my main go to light

Thank you all for your replies so far!

While the aforementioned suggestions may be practical, Id like to purchase something that is on the leading edge of new technology, rather than going back a generation. Stock Maglites (and any alkaline cell lights) are out of the equation for this reason.

HDS is incredibly expensive, and low powered generally for runtimes and practicality. Not interested in these either.

Are there any aspheric lights (not Zoomies) that still somehow put a wider spot than a pencil beam alone? Like.. a jumbo fat sharpie beam LOL. Perhaps like a XHP70.2 LED or a quad with an aspheric lens?

Still as far as I can tell, the only option is something like a Haikelite HT35 zoomie on constant 80% focus with 1500ish lumens... but it's underpowered to its size ration (2x26650 can easily handle 3k lumens for 5 mins without stepping down or becoming too hot - yet it only has 1300-1800 depending who measures it.)

There are two factors. One, as you said, the deeper the reflector the narrower the beam, with less spill. Two, the smaller the die on the LED in that deep reflector, the less spill. Unfortunately, the smaller LED will usually mean less output. You may have to look to a light that has an aspheric lens, since those do a good job of collimating most of the light into the center beam.

So which lights have the deepest reflectors in 26650 or 21700 format? U21 and U22 Manker? And an oslon black flat LED? But sadly this is still too wide if spill, as I already own a U21vn... so need a much deeper reflector (but NOT WIDE only deep) and even smaller die (which doesn't exist right?), or some other solution?

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since the hot spot is coming from the reflector, and the spill is coming from the led directly, and variances in the reflector, you can put a sleeve on the head of the light to allow all of the spot while blocking the spill.

Or maybe use an aspheric lens "zoomie" light.
Mountain Electronics has a Zoomie aspheric host if you want to build a custom light with parts off their shelf, I think they might sell the complete light as well.

Since the hot spot is coming from the reflector, and the spill is coming from the led directly, and variances in the reflector, you can put a sleeve on the head of the light to allow all of the spot while blocking the spill.

Or maybe use an aspheric lens "zoomie" light.
Mountain Electronics has a Zoomie aspheric host if you want to build a custom light with parts off their shelf, I think they might sell the complete light as well.

Excellent suggestions! But is it possible to cover/color (black sharpie) over the lens or with a metal washer fitting the head diameter, to block out the outer spill? Would that damage the light or transmit even less output than a zoomie zoomed to the equal amount that I would be physically covering up?

I dont like a sleeve (made a few temp ones for experimental purposes), as it requires an unwieldy 2-3 inches of sleeve length sticking off the front of a 40-60mm head. But I think you're onto something. Partial outer lens cover as aforementioned?

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Instead of using a pigment, you could experiment with some mylar or aluminum foil... cut circles of various sizes and position them in the center of the lens, this will block and reflect spill light coming from the center, while allowing the reflector to project the spot from all sides.
Once you have the size right and have a way to center it, you could use a little contact cement to keep it in place semi permanently. Shouldn't hurt the glass.

Clarifying, the outer spill comes from the led at the center, the spot comes from the reflector sides.

Last edited:
Thank you eh4, will see what I can experiment with for sure!

Alternatively, what lights have extremely WEAK/dim spill so that even with a wide spill (or possibly wider is better to spread the minimal spill around to make it weaker and less noticeable at 50-200 feet) it doesn't disturb areas around the hotspot?

There is an 8ft fence with bushes around it that needs to be targeted, but there's a house with windows directly behind the fence... so oslon or another LED with ultra weak dim spill could possibly work?

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some posters are going to know some great options, I haven't looked into any new lights in a while.
As mentioned before, -you want the smallest LED die (perfect point source of light + perfect reflector would mean all spot and no spill), and a deep, smooth reflector, not orange peel.
I have an Armytek Predator with a warm XB-H led that throws nearly as well as the newer HI models, as the hot spot is more intense due to the small LED size. Without a sleeve it still has a dim spill zone, but the spill is smaller than my other lights which have shallower reflectors.

If you get one that works, the armytek predator really is a neat light.
I'd get another with the XB-H LED in a heartbeat if I lost this one. The spill is dimmer and smaller than most.
I wasn't impressed with the HI high intensity model, big, mushy hotspot from the larger led.
- My main use is for spotting street numbers from a car at night without lighting up windows btw.
Secondary use is that it's a comforting handful with the 2x 18650 -battery tube and two protected batteries installed. I use bicycle innertube to cover the white lettering and improve the grip, eliminate clanking and dings.

Lastly, if you got one of these, I'd recommend not bothering with the Pro model, that's what I've got and I'm never needing the 2nd line of options, and frequently getting into the 2nd line inadvertently.

Last edited:
look for recoil optic, it has almost no spill

WHOA!! WHAT WHERE DID THIS COME FROM HAHA

I found this on amazon?
"Odear Super Bright Headlamp Rechargeable LED Spotlight with Battery Powered Headlight for Hunting Camping Fishing (Large)"

Is this real?!?! Or are pictures lying?

Edit: I am confused and I think pics are lying? Please provide an example so I know what you are referring to exactly.

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
WHOA!! WHAT WHERE DID THIS COME FROM HAHA

I found this on amazon?
"Odear Super Bright Headlamp Rechargeable LED Spotlight with Battery Powered Headlight for Hunting Camping Fishing (Large)"

Is this real?!?! Or are pictures lying?

Edit: I am confused and I think pics are lying? Please provide an example so I know what you are referring to exactly.

that is not a recoil optic, and beam on that pic, 99% fake. imo. google pelican recoil flashlight.

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
for 800-2000meters you need blf gt, no walmart lights will do. you could try their rechargeable spotlights in auto section, but i doubt those can do 2000m either. they are also bulky and heavy

louieatienza

Newly Enlightened
Excellent suggestions! But is it possible to cover/color (black sharpie) over the lens or with a metal washer fitting the head diameter, to block out the outer spill? Would that damage the light or transmit even less output than a zoomie zoomed to the equal amount that I would be physically covering up?

I dont like a sleeve (made a few temp ones for experimental purposes), as it requires an unwieldy 2-3 inches of sleeve length sticking off the front of a 40-60mm head. But I think you're onto something. Partial outer lens cover as aforementioned?

You can cover the center of the lens to reduce spill, it's the rays of light not hitting the reflector that end up causing the "spill"... Or even the aforementioned washer, smaller than the head diameter, that allows the perimeter and center light to pass...

Enderman

Enlightened
For a strong tight-beam hotspot with no spill you need an aspheric flashlight.
This one is currently the most powerful commercial option: https://www.silentthunderordnance.com/flashlights/lance-of-ra
There are more powerful ones but those are mods or custom builds which aren't available for purchase.
The next most powerful would be the deft-X/rev victor enthusiast which aren't made anymore, and you would have to find one used (and people rarely sell them because they are so awesome)
Then there is the maxtoch L2K, Acebeam W10, and Weltool W3 which are all LEP throwers (also aspheric).
Finally you can go to vinh's store https://skylumen.com/ and check out the aspheric flashlights that he sells, such as the XSvn or NMvn aspherics.