Anything as good as Deoxit Gold but cheaper?

busseguy

Enlightened
So currently my 2 and only 2 Pelican flashlights both flicker on low. I've tried cleaning them with rubbing alcohol with no change.

So I am considering buying some Deoxit Gold to try but it's very pricey.

does anyone know if there is something as good or close to Deoxit Gold that is much cheaper?

thanks in advance.

mdmvrockford

Newly Enlightened
Just in case you did not know, if you have access to it, I would use Deoxit D5 (Red) first (it best removes any oxidation and actually will dissolve light corrosion). And then apply the Deoxit G5 (Gold).

Unfortunately the best price I can find for each are $13.82 (Red 5 fluid ounces) and $19.90 (Gold 5 fluid ounces) (both seller is Amazon itself).

Decades ago I thought Deoxit Red and Gold were overhyped for battery contact terminals. I found out they are the best but like you said they are very pricey. FWIW, my 5 fluid ounces of each has lasted over 6 years each.

These other CPF members think it is reference too.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ew-Batteries&p=3289851&viewfull=1#post3289851

Also I am sure you know but just in case, if use isopropyl alcohol, it should be at least 90% and not usual 70%.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...e-flashlight&p=3263914&viewfull=1#post3263914

So currently my 2 and only 2 Pelican flashlights both flicker on low. I've tried cleaning them with rubbing alcohol with no change.

So I am considering buying some Deoxit Gold to try but it's very pricey.

does anyone know if there is something as good or close to Deoxit Gold that is much cheaper?

thanks in advance.

busseguy

Enlightened
Just in case you did not know, if you have access to it, I would use Deoxit D5 (Red) first (it best removes any oxidation and actually will dissolve light corrosion). And then apply the Deoxit G5 (Gold).

Unfortunately the best price I can find for each are $13.82 (Red 5 fluid ounces) and $19.90 (Gold 5 fluid ounces) (both seller is Amazon itself).

Decades ago I thought Deoxit Red and Gold were overhyped for battery contact terminals. I found out they are the best but like you said they are very pricey. FWIW, my 5 fluid ounces of each has lasted over 6 years each.

These other CPF members think it is reference too.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ew-Batteries&p=3289851&viewfull=1#post3289851

Also I am sure you know but just in case, if use isopropyl alcohol, it should be at least 90% and not usual 70%.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...e-flashlight&p=3263914&viewfull=1#post3263914

Thank you for the info. I didn't realize there were different types. I just assumed the gold was just a stronger version.

Also the alcohol I used was the 70%. Thank you for the info on that as well, I will go and pick up some 90%.

zekeman

Newly Enlightened
The best stuff to use to clean up corrosion is the 100% solution that comes in 2ml tubes.

DeoxITLiquid, squeeze tube 100% solution 2 mL - D100L-2C

they're small but go a long way. About 8 bucks.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I always get 90%+ alcohol myself the 50% and 70% has too much water in it which if used for other things dilutes its strength as I use it to remove marker ink and clean up after using WD40 to remove sticker goo. I don't have any deoxit myself as until recently I couldn't afford the high price of it. I just use emery cloth and soft red erasers and if needed some dialectric bulb grease as a protectant as I'm usually cleaning up alkaline battery damage either from forgotten batteries in devices or something I recently bought used like a small 2AAA digital radio that I had to use vinegar to remove a lot of alkaline residue that had the contacts plated a black color. I then used water after the vinegar to dilute it and then alcohol to flush out the water and dry out the contacts.

If you can afford the deoxit then I guess it is good, but if not there are options that will do the job (maybe not as well though).

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Fenix E0 had been unused for a year or so and would not light up, But was working when i last used it, I have gold and red deoxit but i needed a spray so i put a small spray of Servisol in the head and in the battery tube and the started working straight away, you can spay a bit on a q-tip if you want clean a specific area.

It`s around £6.50 a spray on Amazon so it`s quite cheap, the tin i had was over 15 years old and still worked like new.

I wonder if it can be bought as a liquid "anybody know"?

"Servisol Super 10"

John.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
For many years, Deoxit was kept a secret in the Movie and Music industries. But these days it's well known in all industries, as well as with consumers and enthusiasts.

As far as a replacement [or equal], I don't believe there is one.

The red and gold are pricey, but definitely worth the price of admission.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's my understanding that Red is for general cleaning, deoxidizing and preserving, while gold is specifically for precious metals (gold!). If you just keep one, I'd do Red. There are other products such as a specific lube for potentiometers (Faderlube).

Note the different concentrations - sprays are typically 5%, while the small bottles are 100%. They may be expensive, but will last a long time if not wasted. I hardly ever use more then a drop on a cotton bud, unless trying to flush out crud from a hidden control.

There are many competing products out there, but I'm not inclined to try them all to save a few bucks over some decades, when Deoxit is known to be effective. It will not, however, restore a very worn potentiometer.

busseguy

Enlightened
Well I tried 91% alcohol with absolutely no change. I work 7 days a week so I haven't had a chance to go find some deoxit, but I'm kinda annoyed at Pelican so these might be my last from them and I might just give them away instead of purchasing the deoxit.

My first 2 Pelicans and they both have issues :-(

Pretty dissapointing.

busseguy

Enlightened
Contact Pelican and describe your issues.

Bill

I tried but the kid I talked to told me I had to go thru the website. I tried finding info about returning them but I must be blind because I couldn't find it on the website.

t76turbo

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone provide a link to the deoxit you guys are using? I looked and I see various sprays, some small bottles with brushes, and other packaging. Just wanted to know what specifically you guys are using.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone provide a link to the deoxit you guys are using? I looked and I see various sprays, some small bottles with brushes, and other packaging. Just wanted to know what specifically you guys are using.

Personally I just use a spray can of D5 (5%), since I often need the straw to flush out pots. For open surfaces like flashlight contacts, I carefully spray some onto a cotton bud, being careful to not leave any strands of cotton. I don't use the bottles of 100%. I have the pens and some small vials, but don't use them very often. They are good for small portable toolkits.

The stuff may be expensive, but a little lasts a long time if you don't waste it by spraying 10X what you need.

The Caig Labs site has loads of use info:
https://caig.com/technical-information/

light-modder

Enlightened
I just got some of the D5 in a spray can with the straw this week. So far I have sprayed burner contacts on a stove burner and the head and tailcap of a flashlight. It's very easy to spray too much but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. Both the burner and flashlight were basically dead. Only used the burner once and turned the flashlight on for a few seconds but results seem good so far.