EagTac D3A Ti Nichia 219C - not really Li-ion compatible (?)

rrego

Enlightened
Just received D3A Ti Nichia 219C 4000K. I like it, but disappointed with some things I noticed.

Pros:
Tint
Beam
Output on Eneloops and EagTac 14500 750 mah is good
Current controlled on Eneloops
Mode memory
Step down from Turbo on Eneloops is gradual, not an abrupt "step-down" as it appears on my older D25A Ti

Cons (to me):
PWM
- When on the ET 14500, PWM on Low/Med/High. I thought this light was fully compatible on 14500 per ETs website info.
**I have a 2015 D25A Ti, XPG2 CW and on the Low/Med/High mode group, only Med has PWM and it is very fast (acceptable).
Sucks that this one has PWM (slowish/barely miedium-ish = noticeable) on all three modes.
Turn-on Delay (?) when it's been "resting" for a while and I click to turn it on, there is a delay. After the delay, it turns on fine once it's in use.
**Did notice the half-press change from mode to mode is not super instantaneous as my D25A Ti and two D25Cs (Al & Ti). There is a very slight delay.

I haven't seen much or any info on the D3A light.

Does anyone have one of these D3A and have the same experience? I am not going to return it, but these things do annoy me a little bit about this light. I was planning on running exclusively on my ET 14500, but I do like the output on the Eneloops, so will run it on Eneloops mostly for now.

I really do like EagleTac lights, but I've got a variety already and only got this D3A to treat myself for the holiday.

I now use my incans more than my LEDs, unless I need runtime and/or very bright output for something.

Last edited:

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own a D3A, nor have I seen any D3A reviews to correlate your experiences against. I have a 2014 D25A ti that I primarily use as a travel light and was curious if the D3A offered a significant increase in observable output using eneloops/NiMH as claimed by the advertising.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one in the mail, shipped by Illuminationgear last Dec6, it should arrive anytime soon(I am in SE Asia).

Seeing that you have PWM leaves me a bit disappointed too, as EagTac states "Upgraded LED driver
D3A clicky Ti uses all-new high output A750 RC LED driver. It feature high efficiency, clicky and twist head operation, programmable lower-low output mode, optional mode memory, hidden auxiliary modes, and most importantly fully supports single li-ion 14500."

No mention about PWM though so I guess we can't blame them. My previous D25A Ti (XML) was quite acceptable, I didn't notice PWM then maybe because I didn't really look for it and it had a very slight delay when mode changing too but it was a quirk of the driver I guess.

I'll post thoughts here when my D3a arrives.

rrego

Enlightened
RobertMM - please do so. That is exactly what I mentioned to IG (referenced ET website info) when I e-mailed them today to get clarification. They are where I get a lot of my EagTac stuff over the years. I like EagTac very much, but my enthusiasm for their products has gone down over the years.

Also a while back when I got the 219C 4000K triple drop in (when first released), I brought up to them that the high mode would do the "heat flash" and they told me to not run it for extended periods of time. I did mention that when it does the "heat flash" it would do it just a few minutes in (3 , 4 mins or so), where as the 219B triples 4500 have never had this "heat flash" and I can run them certainly longer than 5 minutes without this "flash". It was stated that it was a driver update and EagleTac did not inform them.

I simply do not use the 219C triple as much as the original 219B triples. This might be my last EagTac though, since my others cover different needs. I have gone to mostly incan now.

Thank you SCEMan. I really like my D25A Ti 2015 and it has awesome performance on 14500. That one, I don't think had mention of Li-ion support, but it was a nice surprise. I use 14500 only for that one. A high CRI emitter would've been nice, but I couldn't pass up the special on Illumn.com at the time ($35 or $40 - don't remember) :^)

Last edited:

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you find the D3A Ti's output to be significantly increased on both NiMH and 14500 batts over your 2015 D25A Ti? That would be the only reason I'd replace my existing D25A Ti.

AB8XL

Enlightened
I have one coming as well, shipped yesterday. I have a few D25's with 219B, 219C and an older D25 219B Ti, I'll let ya know my thoughts.

rrego

Enlightened
SCEMan - I can check this also, but I'm no expert as it'll be by sight only. I will check with freshly charged 14500s and Eneloops in each.

rrego

Enlightened
SCEMan - so I compared the D3A and 2015 D25A Ti with both battery types. To my eyes, it seems the XPG-2 D25A every so slightly beats it out, but just barely, however I much prefer the tint of the Nichia 219C 4000K. So, if your criteria was only if output was significantly increased, I would say it does not meet that criteria, as it appears the same (to me) on NiMh and Li-Ion in each light.

This might not be a fair comparison since they LEDs are not the same 219C NW/XPG-2 CW (isn't XPG-2 CW brighter, normally?). The Nichia is very bright, I like it, but maybe the tint makes it "appear" ever so slightly less bright(?). I'll take the slightly less bright, due to pleasing tint. I've really wanted a Nichia in D25A form factor for a while.

I am curious to how RobertMM and yoyobrotha's comparisons will be also.

Javora

Enlightened
I was thinking about picking one up. I think I'll wait until I read more about it. Slightly disappointed.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
SCEMan - so I compared the D3A and 2015 D25A Ti with both battery types. To my eyes, it seems the XPG-2 D25A every so slightly beats it out, but just barely, however I much prefer the tint of the Nichia 219C 4000K. So, if your criteria was only if output was significantly increased, I would say it does not meet that criteria, as it appears the same (to me) on NiMh and Li-Ion in each light.

This might not be a fair comparison since they LEDs are not the same 219C NW/XPG-2 CW (isn't XPG-2 CW brighter, normally?). The Nichia is very bright, I like it, but maybe the tint makes it "appear" ever so slightly less bright(?).

Thanks for testing - much appreciated. The different LED types make a comparison difficult, plus you have a 2015 D25A (I have a 2014).
Since EagTac has raised the XM-L2 (LED) lumen output on AAs from 179 (2014 D25A) to 405 :eek: (2018 D3A) I would expect a very visible difference. This would be a worthwhile upgrade for my travel use due to the availability of AAs internationally. I'll have to watch D3A user feedback to learn more.

Last edited:

rrego

Enlightened
SCEMan - I think you might be right when comparing the same LED. Mine are different, so not an equal comparison. I am also interested in seeing other feedback.

AB8XL

Enlightened
I received a D3A & D25A MKII today, both have the newer AC750 driver which appears to be driving the LED harder compared to the older AC400 driver. I'm not seeing any visible PWM in either of them. I really like the new mode spacing compared to the earlier version, the low is much lower and appears to be well controlled when comparing between a 14500 and eneloop. I do see a greater brightness difference between the 219B and 219C version of the lights. The Ti version has a lower low and medium compared to the D25A MKII, Overall I'm happy with both.

rrego

Enlightened
Good to hear yoyobrotha that you do not see PWM for your light. I wish I got one like that.

For mine, I did the "waving the light in front of my face" trick :grin2: and that's how I see PWM on Low/Med/High with the Li-Ion. I know what it looks like as I have other lights that have it. Unless it is the EagleTac 14500, but I don't think so. When it has an Eneloop, I know for sure I don't see PWM and I also like the performance on Eneloop. I will pop a 14500 when I want the extra punch once in a while.

Thanks for your update.

AB8XL

Enlightened
Good to hear yoyobrotha that you do not see PWM for your light. I wish I got one like that.

For mine, I did the "waving the light in front of my face" trick :grin2: and that's how I see PWM on Low/Med/High with the Li-Ion. I know what it looks like as I have other lights that have it. Unless it is the EagleTac 14500, but I don't think so. When it has an Eneloop, I know for sure I don't see PWM and I also like the performance on Eneloop. I will pop a 14500 when I want the extra punch once in a while.

Thanks for your update.

I do use the EagleTac 14500's, there a tad shorter than the Olight and Nitecore ones I have. As for checking for PWM I used my camera on my phone and of course my eyes, I couldn't see any PWM, I do have other lights were it's visible on the lower modes.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi folks.

I finally got mine(Illumination Gear) sent it Dec6, I got a post notice Dec28 but didn't have time to pick it up until this afternoon.

So far so good, no PWM, there is also a very slight delay on turning on with my sample but I noticed that with my earlier 2013 D25A Ti as well, so no worries.

Mine is a Neutral XML2, with the box having a sticker saying 266 OTF lumens (as opposed to 286OTF for regular cool XML2).

I say the 20 lumen loss is worth it, I won't notice that small of a drop in brightness anyway.

The lume powder on the GITD tailcap seems a bit more potent than the old ones, and the clip is very secure in the pocket, no worries about flashlight loss even if doing rough activities.

Only complaint for me would be that the light body needs some chamfering at the lip, it seems that it is slowly abrading the tight Oring, even if lubed.

I took 5 minutes with some 1500 grit sandpaper to smooth mine out and take off the sharp edge.

266 lumens is quite a jump too over my 130 lumen XML D25A Ti, a nice upgrade with the pleasant neutral tint.
Very happy with my purchase, and well worth the wait.

Berneck1

Enlightened
I have the XPL Hi version of the D3a. Haven't noticed any difference in use other than the improved output. When I get a chance I'll compare my 2017 version side by side and see if I notice anything.

zip

Newly Enlightened
I don't own a D3A, nor have I seen any D3A reviews to correlate your experiences against. I have a 2014 D25A ti that I primarily use as a travel light and was curious if the D3A offered a significant increase in observable output using eneloops/NiMH as claimed by the advertising.

The 2014 D25a Nichia 219C is what I've been carring for years. I have dropped it from a second story building, cracked the lens, and I still use it every day and every night. LMH modes are great. Don't monkey around Eagtac, reintroduce this model please.:)

Last edited:

rrego

Enlightened
RobertMM - sorry for the late follow up question. When you say that you do not notice PWM, was this on an Eneloop or 14500?

I agree with you, that on Eneoop, it works as advertised (no PWM). On 14500 is where it has PWM. I don't know if it would be different, my Nichia 219C to your XM-L2, but probably not.

Can you clarify?

Latest posts