Imalent        
Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: EagTac D3A Ti Nichia 219C - not really Li-ion compatible (?)

  1. #1
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    N. SD County
    Posts
    119

    Default EagTac D3A Ti Nichia 219C - not really Li-ion compatible (?)

    Just received D3A Ti Nichia 219C 4000K. I like it, but disappointed with some things I noticed.

    Pros:
    Tint
    Beam
    Output on Eneloops and EagTac 14500 750 mah is good
    Current controlled on Eneloops
    Mode memory
    Step down from Turbo on Eneloops is gradual, not an abrupt "step-down" as it appears on my older D25A Ti

    Cons (to me):
    PWM
    - When on the ET 14500, PWM on Low/Med/High. I thought this light was fully compatible on 14500 per ETs website info.
    **I have a 2015 D25A Ti, XPG2 CW and on the Low/Med/High mode group, only Med has PWM and it is very fast (acceptable).
    Sucks that this one has PWM (slowish/barely miedium-ish = noticeable) on all three modes.
    Turn-on Delay (?) when it's been "resting" for a while and I click to turn it on, there is a delay. After the delay, it turns on fine once it's in use.
    **Did notice the half-press change from mode to mode is not super instantaneous as my D25A Ti and two D25Cs (Al & Ti). There is a very slight delay.

    I haven't seen much or any info on the D3A light.

    Does anyone have one of these D3A and have the same experience? I am not going to return it, but these things do annoy me a little bit about this light. I was planning on running exclusively on my ET 14500, but I do like the output on the Eneloops, so will run it on Eneloops mostly for now.

    I really do like EagleTac lights, but I've got a variety already and only got this D3A to treat myself for the holiday.

    I now use my incans more than my LEDs, unless I need runtime and/or very bright output for something.
    Last edited by rrego; 12-18-2018 at 07:08 PM.

  2. #2
    Flashaholic* SCEMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Crimeafornia
    Posts
    1,188

    Default Re: EagTac D3A Ti Nichia 219C - not really Li-ion compatible (?)

    I don't own a D3A, nor have I seen any D3A reviews to correlate your experiences against. I have a 2014 D25A ti that I primarily use as a travel light and was curious if the D3A offered a significant increase in observable output using eneloops/NiMH as claimed by the advertising.

  3. #3
    Flashaholic* RobertMM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Las Piñas, Philippines
    Posts
    1,015

    Default Re: EagTac D3A Ti Nichia 219C - not really Li-ion compatible (?)

    I have one in the mail, shipped by Illuminationgear last Dec6, it should arrive anytime soon(I am in SE Asia).

    Seeing that you have PWM leaves me a bit disappointed too, as EagTac states "Upgraded LED driver
    D3A clicky Ti uses all-new high output A750 RC LED driver. It feature high efficiency, clicky and twist head operation, programmable lower-low output mode, optional mode memory, hidden auxiliary modes, and most importantly fully supports single li-ion 14500."

    No mention about PWM though so I guess we can't blame them. My previous D25A Ti (XML) was quite acceptable, I didn't notice PWM then maybe because I didn't really look for it and it had a very slight delay when mode changing too but it was a quirk of the driver I guess.

    I'll post thoughts here when my D3a arrives.
    "Tint is within the eye of the beholder." - WoodsWalker

  4. #4
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    N. SD County
    Posts
    119

    Default Re: EagTac D3A Ti Nichia 219C - not really Li-ion compatible (?)

    RobertMM - please do so. That is exactly what I mentioned to IG (referenced ET website info) when I e-mailed them today to get clarification. They are where I get a lot of my EagTac stuff over the years. I like EagTac very much, but my enthusiasm for their products has gone down over the years.

    Also a while back when I got the 219C 4000K triple drop in (when first released), I brought up to them that the high mode would do the "heat flash" and they told me to not run it for extended periods of time. I did mention that when it does the "heat flash" it would do it just a few minutes in (3 , 4 mins or so), where as the 219B triples 4500 have never had this "heat flash" and I can run them certainly longer than 5 minutes without this "flash". It was stated that it was a driver update and EagleTac did not inform them.

    I simply do not use the 219C triple as much as the original 219B triples. This might be my last EagTac though, since my others cover different needs. I have gone to mostly incan now.

    Thank you SCEMan. I really like my D25A Ti 2015 and it has awesome performance on 14500. That one, I don't think had mention of Li-ion support, but it was a nice surprise. I use 14500 only for that one. A high CRI emitter would've been nice, but I couldn't pass up the special on Illumn.com at the time ($35 or $40 - don't remember) :^)
    Last edited by rrego; 12-17-2018 at 11:33 PM.

  5. #5
    Flashaholic* SCEMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Crimeafornia
    Posts
    1,188

    Default Re: EagTac D3A Ti Nichia 219C - not really Li-ion compatible (?)

    Do you find the D3A Ti's output to be significantly increased on both NiMH and 14500 batts over your 2015 D25A Ti? That would be the only reason I'd replace my existing D25A Ti.

  6. #6
    Flashaholic yoyobrotha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: EagTac D3A Ti Nichia 219C - not really Li-ion compatible (?)

    I have one coming as well, shipped yesterday. I have a few D25's with 219B, 219C and an older D25 219B Ti, I'll let ya know my thoughts.
    Fenix TK50,TK41,TK40,L2D,L1D,L0D,LD01,LD41,LD20,LD15,LD1 0,LD05,HP10,HP15|ZebraLight SC51,SC62w,SC600w,SC600Fd,SC64c LE,SC700d,SC53Fc|EagleTac D25A,D25A2,MX25L3C,T25C2,D25LC2|Nitecore TM16,EAX,MT1A,MT2A,EZ AA,IFD2,T5s,D4|47's Mini AA,AA²,"X"AA²,Pro QPA| List of Lights

  7. #7
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    N. SD County
    Posts
    119

    Default Re: EagTac D3A Ti Nichia 219C - not really Li-ion compatible (?)

    SCEMan - I can check this also, but I'm no expert as it'll be by sight only. I will check with freshly charged 14500s and Eneloops in each.

  8. #8
    Flashaholic* SCEMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Crimeafornia
    Posts
    1,188

    Default Re: EagTac D3A Ti Nichia 219C - not really Li-ion compatible (?)

    Quote Originally Posted by rrego View Post
    SCEMan - I can check this also, but I'm no expert as it'll be by sight only. I will check with freshly charged 14500s and Eneloops in each.
    Thanks pal.

  9. #9
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    N. SD County
    Posts
    119

    Default Re: EagTac D3A Ti Nichia 219C - not really Li-ion compatible (?)

    SCEMan - so I compared the D3A and 2015 D25A Ti with both battery types. To my eyes, it seems the XPG-2 D25A every so slightly beats it out, but just barely, however I much prefer the tint of the Nichia 219C 4000K. So, if your criteria was only if output was significantly increased, I would say it does not meet that criteria, as it appears the same (to me) on NiMh and Li-Ion in each light.

    This might not be a fair comparison since they LEDs are not the same 219C NW/XPG-2 CW (isn't XPG-2 CW brighter, normally?). The Nichia is very bright, I like it, but maybe the tint makes it "appear" ever so slightly less bright(?). I'll take the slightly less bright, due to pleasing tint. I've really wanted a Nichia in D25A form factor for a while.

    I am curious to how RobertMM and yoyobrotha's comparisons will be also.

  10. #10

    Default Re: EagTac D3A Ti Nichia 219C - not really Li-ion compatible (?)

    I was thinking about picking one up. I think I’ll wait until I read more about it. Slightly disappointed.

  11. #11
    Flashaholic* SCEMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Crimeafornia
    Posts
    1,188

    Default Re: EagTac D3A Ti Nichia 219C - not really Li-ion compatible (?)

    Quote Originally Posted by rrego View Post
    SCEMan - so I compared the D3A and 2015 D25A Ti with both battery types. To my eyes, it seems the XPG-2 D25A every so slightly beats it out, but just barely, however I much prefer the tint of the Nichia 219C 4000K. So, if your criteria was only if output was significantly increased, I would say it does not meet that criteria, as it appears the same (to me) on NiMh and Li-Ion in each light.

    This might not be a fair comparison since they LEDs are not the same 219C NW/XPG-2 CW (isn't XPG-2 CW brighter, normally?). The Nichia is very bright, I like it, but maybe the tint makes it "appear" ever so slightly less bright(?).
    Thanks for testing - much appreciated. The different LED types make a comparison difficult, plus you have a 2015 D25A (I have a 2014).
    Since EagTac has raised the XM-L2 (LED) lumen output on AAs from 179 (2014 D25A) to 405 (2018 D3A) I would expect a very visible difference. This would be a worthwhile upgrade for my travel use due to the availability of AAs internationally. I'll have to watch D3A user feedback to learn more.
    Last edited by SCEMan; 12-18-2018 at 08:51 PM.

  12. #12
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    N. SD County
    Posts
    119

    Default Re: EagTac D3A Ti Nichia 219C - not really Li-ion compatible (?)

    SCEMan - I think you might be right when comparing the same LED. Mine are different, so not an equal comparison. I am also interested in seeing other feedback.

  13. #13
    Flashaholic* Derek Dean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Monterey, CA
    Posts
    2,303

    Default Re: EagTac D3A Ti Nichia 219C - not really Li-ion compatible (?)


  14. #14
    Flashaholic yoyobrotha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: EagTac D3A Ti Nichia 219C - not really Li-ion compatible (?)

    I received a D3A & D25A MKII today, both have the newer AC750 driver which appears to be driving the LED harder compared to the older AC400 driver. I'm not seeing any visible PWM in either of them. I really like the new mode spacing compared to the earlier version, the low is much lower and appears to be well controlled when comparing between a 14500 and eneloop. I do see a greater brightness difference between the 219B and 219C version of the lights. The Ti version has a lower low and medium compared to the D25A MKII, Overall I'm happy with both.
    Fenix TK50,TK41,TK40,L2D,L1D,L0D,LD01,LD41,LD20,LD15,LD1 0,LD05,HP10,HP15|ZebraLight SC51,SC62w,SC600w,SC600Fd,SC64c LE,SC700d,SC53Fc|EagleTac D25A,D25A2,MX25L3C,T25C2,D25LC2|Nitecore TM16,EAX,MT1A,MT2A,EZ AA,IFD2,T5s,D4|47's Mini AA,AA²,"X"AA²,Pro QPA| List of Lights

  15. #15
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    N. SD County
    Posts
    119

    Default Re: EagTac D3A Ti Nichia 219C - not really Li-ion compatible (?)

    Good to hear yoyobrotha that you do not see PWM for your light. I wish I got one like that.

    For mine, I did the "waving the light in front of my face" trick and that's how I see PWM on Low/Med/High with the Li-Ion. I know what it looks like as I have other lights that have it. Unless it is the EagleTac 14500, but I don't think so. When it has an Eneloop, I know for sure I don't see PWM and I also like the performance on Eneloop. I will pop a 14500 when I want the extra punch once in a while.

    Thanks for your update.

  16. #16
    Flashaholic yoyobrotha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: EagTac D3A Ti Nichia 219C - not really Li-ion compatible (?)

    Quote Originally Posted by rrego View Post
    Good to hear yoyobrotha that you do not see PWM for your light. I wish I got one like that.

    For mine, I did the "waving the light in front of my face" trick and that's how I see PWM on Low/Med/High with the Li-Ion. I know what it looks like as I have other lights that have it. Unless it is the EagleTac 14500, but I don't think so. When it has an Eneloop, I know for sure I don't see PWM and I also like the performance on Eneloop. I will pop a 14500 when I want the extra punch once in a while.

    Thanks for your update.
    I do use the EagleTac 14500's, there a tad shorter than the Olight and Nitecore ones I have. As for checking for PWM I used my camera on my phone and of course my eyes, I couldn't see any PWM, I do have other lights were it's visible on the lower modes.
    Fenix TK50,TK41,TK40,L2D,L1D,L0D,LD01,LD41,LD20,LD15,LD1 0,LD05,HP10,HP15|ZebraLight SC51,SC62w,SC600w,SC600Fd,SC64c LE,SC700d,SC53Fc|EagleTac D25A,D25A2,MX25L3C,T25C2,D25LC2|Nitecore TM16,EAX,MT1A,MT2A,EZ AA,IFD2,T5s,D4|47's Mini AA,AA²,"X"AA²,Pro QPA| List of Lights

  17. #17
    Flashaholic* RobertMM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Las Piñas, Philippines
    Posts
    1,015

    Default Re: EagTac D3A Ti Nichia 219C - not really Li-ion compatible (?)

    Hi folks.

    I finally got mine(Illumination Gear) sent it Dec6, I got a post notice Dec28 but didn't have time to pick it up until this afternoon.

    So far so good, no PWM, there is also a very slight delay on turning on with my sample but I noticed that with my earlier 2013 D25A Ti as well, so no worries.

    Mine is a Neutral XML2, with the box having a sticker saying 266 OTF lumens (as opposed to 286OTF for regular cool XML2).

    I say the 20 lumen loss is worth it, I won't notice that small of a drop in brightness anyway.

    The lume powder on the GITD tailcap seems a bit more potent than the old ones, and the clip is very secure in the pocket, no worries about flashlight loss even if doing rough activities.

    Only complaint for me would be that the light body needs some chamfering at the lip, it seems that it is slowly abrading the tight Oring, even if lubed.

    I took 5 minutes with some 1500 grit sandpaper to smooth mine out and take off the sharp edge.

    266 lumens is quite a jump too over my 130 lumen XML D25A Ti, a nice upgrade with the pleasant neutral tint.
    Very happy with my purchase, and well worth the wait.
    "Tint is within the eye of the beholder." - WoodsWalker

  18. #18

    Default Re: EagTac D3A Ti Nichia 219C - not really Li-ion compatible (?)

    I have the XPL Hi version of the D3a. Haven’t noticed any difference in use other than the improved output. When I get a chance I’ll compare my 2017 version side by side and see if I notice anything.

  19. #19
    Enlightened zip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    OH, USA
    Posts
    48

    Smile Re: EagTac D3A Ti Nichia 219C - not really Li-ion compatible (?)

    Quote Originally Posted by SCEMan View Post
    I don't own a D3A, nor have I seen any D3A reviews to correlate your experiences against. I have a 2014 D25A ti that I primarily use as a travel light and was curious if the D3A offered a significant increase in observable output using eneloops/NiMH as claimed by the advertising.
    The 2014 D25a Nichia 219C is what I've been carring for years. I have dropped it from a second story building, cracked the lens, and I still use it every day and every night. LMH modes are great. Don't monkey around Eagtac, reintroduce this model please.
    Last edited by zip; 02-17-2019 at 08:29 PM.

  20. #20
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    N. SD County
    Posts
    119

    Default Re: EagTac D3A Ti Nichia 219C - not really Li-ion compatible (?)

    RobertMM - sorry for the late follow up question. When you say that you do not notice PWM, was this on an Eneloop or 14500?

    I agree with you, that on Eneoop, it works as advertised (no PWM). On 14500 is where it has PWM. I don't know if it would be different, my Nichia 219C to your XM-L2, but probably not.

    Can you clarify?

  21. #21
    Flashaholic* RobertMM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Las Piñas, Philippines
    Posts
    1,015

    Default Re: EagTac D3A Ti Nichia 219C - not really Li-ion compatible (?)

    Quote Originally Posted by rrego View Post
    RobertMM - sorry for the late follow up question. When you say that you do not notice PWM, was this on an Eneloop or 14500?

    I agree with you, that on Eneoop, it works as advertised (no PWM). On 14500 is where it has PWM. I don't know if it would be different, my Nichia 219C to your XM-L2, but probably not.

    Can you clarify?
    My statement (no pwm) is for Eneloops.

    Unfortunately I have given away my 14500s and have none to test the D3a with, because the output on NiMh is more than enough for my needs and I am not willing to put up with the extreme heat buildup in a small Ti light to get a minute worth of turbo mode.
    "Tint is within the eye of the beholder." - WoodsWalker

  22. #22
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    N. SD County
    Posts
    119

    Default Re: EagTac D3A Ti Nichia 219C - not really Li-ion compatible (?)

    Hey RobertMM, thanks for clarifying I was thinking that is what you meant (Eneloop) as I have the same result.

    Thanks.

  23. #23

    Default Re: EagTac D3A Ti Nichia 219C - not really Li-ion compatible (?)

    Quote Originally Posted by yoyobrotha View Post
    I received a D3A & D25A MKII today, both have the newer AC750 driver which appears to be driving the LED harder compared to the older AC400 driver. I'm not seeing any visible PWM in either of them. I really like the new mode spacing compared to the earlier version, the low is much lower and appears to be well controlled when comparing between a 14500 and eneloop. I do see a greater brightness difference between the 219B and 219C version of the lights. The Ti version has a lower low and medium compared to the D25A MKII, Overall I'm happy with both.
    Is there any difference between the head diameter of the D3A and the D25A MKII? Eagletac seems to say the D3A head is .8 inches in diameter while it says the D25A MKII is .7 inches in diameter, but I'm wondering if this is correct since the heads look the same in the photos.

  24. #24

    Default Re: EagTac D3A Ti Nichia 219C - not really Li-ion compatible (?)

    Quote Originally Posted by nimbus76 View Post
    Is there any difference between the head diameter of the D3A and the D25A MKII? Eagletac seems to say the D3A head is .8 inches in diameter while it says the D25A MKII is .7 inches in diameter, but I'm wondering if this is correct since the heads look the same in the photos.
    I emailed EagTac and received a response today that the head on both lights is .7 inches in diameter and that they will update their website.

  25. #25
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    N. SD County
    Posts
    119

    Default Re: EagTac D3A Ti Nichia 219C - not really Li-ion compatible (?)

    That is correct. I have a D3A and D25A and they swap 👍

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •