recommendation for elegant&permanent anti-roll for toilet-plunger-shaped lights

mdmvrockford

Newly Enlightened
To moderators:
(a) I could not find an "elegant" "permanent" solution I am looking for via google search and CPF search. If topic already exists then I apologize and please tell/show me the link to prior post/thread.
(b) By "toilet-plunger shaped" flashlights (sorry if there is more professional term), I mean in my case Olight M3XS-UT Javelot. On quick CPF review search it appears similar shaped toilet-plunger-shaped like Fenix TK47 and Acebeam T21 suffer from same rolling problem. My M3XS-UT already rolled twice off kitchen counter top onto tile floor. It survived unscathed both those ~ 1 meter falls. I want to avoid future unnecessary durability tests.

QUESTION:
(a) I want something that is permanent & elegant and IMO (aargh....) should have been included from the get-go from the manufacturer.
Need for anti-roll appears significant issue for others too such as mentioned in this thread: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...important-to-you-is-Anti-Roll-in-a-flashlight
(b) Hopefully the proposed solution will not break my current USA bank (i.e. want under $30 US dollars but in six months I can increase budget to <$75 USD). Currently I already have accessories for the M3XS-UT that has upped its price: two filters and remote tailcap switch and extra 3600mAh protected LiIons.

MY CURRENT SOLUTION but not "elegant" nor "professional" (please see picture):
#1: 181mm long nylon cable tie through the hole in the factory original metal grip ring (that ring is 35.0mm diameter but alone it is not enough wide enough to provide anti-roll).
PROS: Cheap as I got 50 ties for around $5 and still can use factory holster (whose tailcap opening is 38.5mm semistretched).
CONS: It looks like a hack job and certainly not elegant nor professional nor permanent.
#2: Olight OEM filters have a lanyard hole tab (see the metal arrow pointing to it in picture) that serves as antiroll feature.
PRO: Looks professional and elegant.
CONS (and they far outweigh the pros): Anything but a clear filter will significantly decrease throw, the primary raison d'etre for throwers like the Olight M3XS-UT Javelot.

Already tried and does not work or meet above criteria:
* pocket clip from the Olight M23 Javelot attached to the M3XS-UT does NOT prevent roll
* asymmetric addition of grip tape to tail cap of M3XS-UT; A true hack job and it catches on the factory holster (or any holter I suspect).

I continue to learn more about flashlights from CPF and internet. It appears to me the best and most cost-effective solution would be a custom-made new tail cap that is asymmetric (rather than current OEM perfectly round one). So even if diameter of the proposed custom-made tail cap were same as OEM greatest diameter 35.0mm it would still work with the factory holster. I could not find any prior posts for custom-made tail caps for Olight M3XS-UT. And unfortunately making my own would (until proven otherwise) cause traumatic amputation(s) with power tools like a lathe.

Thanks.

44603609970_0ee72bfb50_z.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
Re: recommendation for elegant&permanent anti-roll for toilet-plunger-shaped lights

You could stand it up instead of laying it on its side like most people stand up a toilet plunger.

Tejasandre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: recommendation for elegant&permanent anti-roll for toilet-plunger-shaped lights

Cut out the lense portion of that filter

mdmvrockford

Newly Enlightened

You could stand it up instead of laying it on its side like most people stand up a toilet plunger.
I did not mention in OP but I now know to already do that. But on the occasional I forget or tight space, I feel it should not roll when placed in its side. Also other household users will not place it in upright position.

Thank you for this suggestion. Sorry I forgot to mention in OP, yes the OEM factory filter lens is easily removed. But with the remaining OEM polymer filter ring holder attached to head, one can no longer latch shut the top flap of the factory holster. Worse case, if I cannot find other option is to get a bigger holster.

fyrstormer

Banned

This is why the Surefire M-series lights have large flat spots on the sides of their heads.

MX421

Enlightened

This idea is probably the best thing to protect your light.

Couple other things:
-Glue something to one side of the bezel to keep it from rolling. When you put it in the holster, ensure whatever you glue is not on the flap side.
-If you don't want to glue something to your bezel, perhaps get a thinner piece of rubber that will go over your bezel (that does fit in the holster). Then put something between the bezel and the plastic to prevent the light from rolling
-Perhaaps make a mount for the light somewhere. I have something similar that was made for Maglights that i use for some lights i have that are easily accessible for everyone.
-Maybe make some sort of loop and attach it to a fridge magnet
-Similar to your filter, see if you can find a gun scope cover that has a cover that flips. I got a similar one for one of my AT Barracudas for protecting the lense. Just measure the diameter of your bezel and go look for something near that size at a few gun supply stores.
-Probably would interfere with you holster, but attach a flat peice of metal to your clip that has a little more leverage than the clip.

Thats all i can think of for now.

Last edited: