Newbie - Got an Infinity and a Dorcy CoolBlue light "Turtlelite"-like?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I'm new to led flashlights. I ordered a silver Infinity with a white led. I read several reviews before I ordered it saying it was a pretty good light. Then I read several posts on this forum and I got the impression I should have gotten an Arc flashlight.

I just received the Infinity and it's better than I expected after reading the posts I read here. I thought it would be weaker than my maglite solitaire but it looks brighter and more even to me. It puts out enough light for things I want it to do.

I didn't buy the Arc light because it was a bit more expensive than the Infinity and I thought with a 5 hour battery life, I might as well just stick with my maglite solitaire (expecting that one to be brighter anyway). Now that I know how bright the infinity is, I'm sure that the Arc lite looks several times brighter than maglite solitaire. Also, this is superficial but if I was going to get an aluminum flashlight, I wanted it silver anodized not black.

Anyway, I was at Wal-mart and found a Dorcy CoolBlue Led light on sale for around $8. It looks like the Turtlelite but it has a yellow case. Then I saw the newer Dorcy Boss flashlights that are completely encased in Rubber (about $4.00 or so) and have a faceted reflector; sturcture-wise they look the same. I bought both and placed the led bulb from the CoolBlue light into the Boss light with faceted reflector. I'm not sure if the led is as bright as the Turtlelite' led but it looks pretty good just the same. When I shine it on a wall it appears brighter than the infinity but has some yellow light in it. When I look straight at the LED, the Infinity looks brighter.

I'm thinking about making my own 2 led bulb replacement. Where can I get some thorough instructions? I know I have to get a couple white LEDs (which ones should I get and from where)? I might have to get some resistors, right? If so which ones? And, that I have to solder these all some how. Any help on doing this would be appreciated.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Jonsey-

I had a cat named Jonesy for a while-

He wandered in while I was watching Aliens on the VCR, and even looked like Ripley's pal, therefore the name.

Most of the questions you ask are already answered in posts here- Look around and you will find these answers and many more that haven't occurred to you yet! It is worthwhile for sure to spend the time to read everything if you want to try to make your own.

I got the "CoolBlue" too and prefer the BOSS. Nice that most of the parts are swappable.

I don't like the beam that the coolblue puts out, but the one I got has been running on the same 4 AA battteries that it came with for 11+ days constantly- Still enough light to read by, so no complaints about the battery life.

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JonesytheCat:
......Also, this is superficial but if I was going to get an aluminum flashlight, I wanted it silver anodized not black. .......
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's not superficial, Jonesy !
That's a very important point, you obviously have an appreciation for fine engineering, beauty, and practicality. (IMHO
grin.gif
)
(My silver 3D Mag-Lite is on order ...... )

NO aspect of *Flashlight Fun* is too small or unimportant to miss being discussed at great length, and posted about, yea, even to the outermost extremes of human interest.

Often, *controversy* is inspired, and opinions are quite firmly expressed (!!!) on light related subjects, many arcane, some obvious.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Silviron :
...... and many more that haven't occurred to you yet!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Too true !

Welcome aboard

Lite-Lover
grin.gif
blush.gif
wink.gif
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Glad to have another appreciate Infinity. It may not have the brightness level of Arclite or Photon, but a small flashlight packing 40 hours of continous useable light is very good reason to always have one with me.

Reasons why I like Arclite:

1. Five (5) hours of continous bright light while other small flashlights starts to dim and die after the first hour.
2. small package (fits in my coin purse along with quarters and subway tokens)
3. easy to buy anywhere and replace 1 AAA alkaline battery
4. lightweight

I prefer UK2AAA over the Solitaire if I'm to carry a small incandescent bulb flashlight.

Black body flashlight may look tactically cool but I also prefer silver (I have silver Infinity white LED w/ lithium AA batt and silver MAG-3D).

Welcome to CPF JonesytheCat!
smile.gif

- verge -