16650 rechargeables in a surefire?

lax556

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, I am new to the forums! I recently got a surefire tactician and found out about 16650 batteries. I am wondering if these will be a good replacement for two 123a's? I have read a couple of threads that some lights wont accept them. I am wondering if anyone has had experience with this style of battery in a surefire and if it is worth it. If not, I can always buy more 123a's hahaha.

These are the 16650's i was looking at:
Orbtronic 2500mah protected.

Last edited by a moderator:

scout24

Flashaholic
Hello and welcome! I approved your post but edited out the commercial link. Descriptions are usually plenty... :) There is a 23 page thread on the Tactician in the "LED Flashlight" subforum, it's got a bunch of information you might enjoy reading that will answer your question, and is an informative read either way. Enjoy!

LED Monkey

Enlightened
You probably already found your answer but I'll say it here to this thread that, yes the Orbtronic 16650 should be a very good solution for recharables in a Surefire and for the record they work well in my Elzetta Bravo as well. I'm using Keeppower 16650's and I believe they are the same core cell.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
My tactician loves the orbtronic 16650's!! Guilt free lumens!!

It's good to know that it'll fire up.

Good 16650s come from Sanyo--the v.1 (4.30v/~2200mAh) and the v.2 (4.35v/2500mAh.)

With a protection circuit added in most cases, they can only be charged up to 4.20v, so not to full capacity. If you're good at checking cell voltages and your Tactician has a forward spring at the head, you could venture into running a naked 2500mAh v.2, for a bit more voltage, slightly more capacity and less voltage sag.

You would need a charger that charges up 4.35 (3.8v) cells, to get the full capacity--one like the Liitokala 100s and 202s and the famed Xtar VP2.

Just an FYI.

Chris

lax556

Newly Enlightened
thank you all for the information!! I was looking at those Sayno's that you were talking about, might pick a few of those up. It's not like i don't trust non name brand batteries, but I have had a lot of junk 18650's, so name brand may be my route this time. Also I do apologize for the link, that was my mistake.

lax556

Newly Enlightened
the Sayno's that I am looking at are flat topped, because of the springs on both the led and button side, do not think I will need the button top correct?

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
thank you all for the information!! I was looking at those Sayno's that you were talking about, might pick a few of those up. It's not like i don't trust non name brand batteries, but I have had a lot of junk 18650's, so name brand may be my route this time. Also I do apologize for the link, that was my mistake.

The Big 5 are: Sanyo, Panasonic, LG, Samsung and Sony. Panasonic owns Sanyo's battery division and Sony has sold to out Murata.

We're talking a buck, or two, difference for a quality cell and generally, less than that.

If you're careful in checking voltages/chargers and knowing your runtimes/charging, at least generally, no reason not to go with a naked cell and the 4.35v, but everyone's different.

Cheap and anything lithium-ion, shouldn't appear in the same sentence.

Chris