Pocket light that won’t turn on in my pocket?

Elkins45

Newly Enlightened
I would like a small pocketable light, probably 1AAA or 1 AA that has some sort of secure switch that won't turn itself on and drain the battery when it bumps around with keys and coins. My current solution is a twist head light with a strip of duct tape wrapped around it, but that is severely annoying to manage if I use it frequently. Ideally it would have some sort of switch cover or multi-part switch.

Any suggestions?

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Twisty is the way to go. If yours is coming on unintentionally, you might try replacing the O-ring or swapping it out for one slightly thicker. This will prevent accidental rotation.

If you just want something new, I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions, although it might help to state a budget and desired specs for runtime and output. I don't think your experience with your current light is an accurate predictor of the performance of a different twisty model.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am really curious to know which light has to be taped off in your pocket?

I am not sure that I ever had a Twisty do this in a consistent way?

And as said above this describes so many lights that it would be a little silly to try to name any without more input first about your wants.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carried/carry a d25aaa for a long time and am not sure exactly how it could turn itself on. It's a twisty head light, matter of fact I've never had this problem with any twisty. What are you carrying?

Elkins45

Newly Enlightened
I don't know what it is other than it's a AAA light I bought on Amazon. I supposed I could go back through my orders and find out. It's a known brand like a Fenix or similar.

To be fair I don't know if it would ever turn on or not. I just assumed it would and taped it up. It sounds like I might just need to see if it will stay off without the tape.

As far as needs I'm just looking for a source of emergency light in case the power goes out when I'm in an interior room or if I drop something in the dark. It doesn't have to be super bright nor does it have to last for days.

Burgess

Flashaholic
May I suggest a
Maglite Solitaire LED.

It's a 1xAAA twisty, with a single
brightness of 47 Lumens.

Load it with an Energizer L92 Lithium cell,
and it will serve you quite nicely.

Just as it has done for Me !

NEVER comes on accidently.
No need to "tape" it.
;)

If I'm permitted to post a LINK,
then here it is --
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009SKX8MA/?tag=cpf0b6-20
_

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for the Maglite Solitaire LED. What makes it special in the world of twisties is that the head is tightened to turn it off. This makes it far less likely that the head can accidentally be turned while living in your pocket.

Another thing to consider is to get a suspension clip so that the light isn't laying at the bottom of your pocket with all the other stuff. I've carried several AAA twisties this way over the years and have never had issues with accidental activation.

Any clicky with a recessed tailswitch should be pretty much impossible to accidentally activate if using a suspension clip. The Fenix e12, for example.

Good luck finding something you like!

--flatline

Elkins45

Newly Enlightened
I picked up a Maglite Solitaire and so far I think it's just the ticket. Thanks!

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there something about the Mag that seems different than your original light?

You said it never actually did turn on in pocket but that you just thought it might,right?

So wouldn't your 1st light also maybe work just fine once untaped too?

I picked up a Maglite Solitaire and so far I think it's just the ticket. Thanks!

MadAmos

Newly Enlightened
I carry a Prometheus Beta it has never come on in my pocket. I really like that it can be detached when desired but stays securely attached until I want it off.