Need Help With A Surefire Aviator LED

Nephron44

Enlightened
Hey everyone!

I've wanted one of the new Surefire Aviator LED lights for a while now, and I finally got one! However, I think it's defective!

The last time I held one of the new Aviators, if I recall correctly, I had to pull out and twist the head to change the color. After unboxing my new light today, I noticed I was able to turn the head from setting to setting without pulling on it first.

Is it supposed to just twist from setting to setting without needing to pull out first?

Thanks for the help!

Nimitz68

Enlightened
Unless they have changed the design, you should have to pull out the forward portion of the head, turn, and let it lock back into position at the desired setting. Sounds like yours may have an issue. Contact Surefire's CS; they'll make it right.

Nephron44

Enlightened
Unless they have changed the design, you should have to pull out the forward portion of the head, turn, and let it lock back into position at the desired setting. Sounds like yours may have an issue. Contact Surefire's CS; they'll make it right.

I was afraid of that :( maybe I'll just exchange the light where I bought it...probably quicker than going through surefire.

Nimitz68

Enlightened
I was afraid of that :( maybe I'll just exchange the light where I bought it...probably quicker than going through surefire.

If you're within the local vendor's return period I would highly recommend that. Let them deal with having to send it back to Surefire while you get another light that works properly. Hopefully the vendor has another and it functions as expected. That's the first I've heard of a new Aviator doing that. Good luck. Let us know how it works out for you.

caelyx

Newly Enlightened
I have a new Aviator, and mine also turns without any forward pressure, but has a pretty positive click when you reach a setting. I think they changed the design.

Nephron44

Enlightened
I have a new Aviator, and mine also turns without any forward pressure, but has a pretty positive click when you reach a setting. I think they changed the design.

Mine had a nice click, but did not instill a lot of confidence that it wouldn't change in my pocket on accident.

I did decide to finally read the instructions, which did not say a forward pull was needed.

I wonder why they changed the design? I have an email in to Surefire, but as with past emails, it has so far gone unanswered. Next chance I get I'm going to call them.

caelyx

Newly Enlightened
Mine had a nice click, but did not instill a lot of confidence that it wouldn't change in my pocket on accident.

FWIW, I haven't had mine change setting unintended. It takes a bit of effort to twist it, and that twisting motion seems hard to generate by accident (vs unintentionally pressing on something).

Nephron44

Enlightened
FWIW, I haven't had mine change setting unintended. It takes a bit of effort to twist it, and that twisting motion seems hard to generate by accident (vs unintentionally pressing on something).

Well, mine didn't have THAT substantial of a click, haha.

Last edited: