Acebeam        

Thread: Blue Light

Default Blue Light

Hi all, I read recently that blue light is very bad for your eyes. I just got a Solitaire with the blue led, and I donít want to use it if it will further damage my already bad vision. Has anyone else heard this? Are the talking about a different blue light? Thanks

Default Re: Blue Light

All light is bad for your eyes. Blue light is particularly good for feeling happier in the winter: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Season...ctive_disorder
    Try the largest, fastest, most flexible flashlight search engine: parametrek.com
    41 brands, 2124 models and still growing!
    NEW: battery search, sleeping pads search

Tribull, blue light like forensic blue isnít good for you to look directly at and you can get the orange glasses to remove the blue light in order to see things that fluoresce. I m not aware of it causing damage like you are questioning but your safest option is always detailed research. Iíve had very strong blue in the forensic blue, and was dumb enough to look at it a couple times which wasnít a nice feeling but I can still see. Didnít feel good at the time though and if you do this once you will ONLY do it once. I have another not so concentrated in my FIrst Light NV with blue led and I canít look at it on high without special glasses. As far as using it to see where you are going itís not useful at all. Only really good to be seen, get attention, or with the glasses see things Fluoresce. Also I have a First Light T TMax with red and blue. The blue is not comfortable to look at directly but why would you want to?
    It will give you warning signs before it will cause problems. For someone at a distance itís not a problem depending on the brightness but still not damaging like UV is.
    UV is different all together WILL cause damage depending on different factors...so again ... do your research.

FWIW our eyes naturally filter out uv from the sun... itís nature and itís how we are made so sunglasses and uv coatings really arenít necessary. Man made uv is not in the same category as the sun and not natural for us so beware in that area.

Blue light in some forms like the kind you canít actually see as far as my ďopinionĒ goes is more dangerous than something you can see. Led cool blue, led light panels with cooler temperatures, computer screens, should be avoided if possible as the blue though you canít see it does actually travel through to the back of the eye, causing headaches, discomfort, and in prolonged exposure over a long period can cause retina damage due to the fact our eyes arenít made to filter it.

Of course this comes from my own research as well as personal experience however I suggest you look deeper into the whatís howís and whyís. Then you will certainly be better informed.
    Donít Tread On Me

Quote Originally Posted by parametrek View Post
    All light is bad for your eyes. Blue light is particularly good for feeling happier in the winter: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Season...ctive_disorder
    Guess that depends on your brain.... I like warm light all year around. Blue hasnít actually made me feel anything except I canít see anything but blue...but the cool white led panels put me in a bad mood as they arenít natural. So maybe an experiment is in process.
    Donít Tread On Me

Blue light per se isn't that bad. The closer one gets to ultra violet light the more the possibility of damage goes up. Any normal flashlight shouldn't be a problem. If it is a real concern, just select warm white or neutral white emitters. The more blue the output of the light, the more energetic the photons are, and it is that energy that can cause damage. It isn't till one gets up to the near ultraviolet and beyond that that energy becomes strong enough to possibly cause damage. If this is a real concern with you, look to the medical flashlight arena. There is a medical standard the certifies that a light does not emit enough blue/near ultraviolet light to cause eye damage. An example I am familiar with is the Nitecore MT06MD. It is a very classy looking two AAA penlight with a Nichia 219 emitter.

A totally different concern about 'blue' light is that blue light suppresses the body's production of melanin, which is a factor in inducing sleep. When you see an app designed to cut down on blue light emitted by your device's screen, that is the desired result. You might see a recommendation that one not use cool white lights in the hours before going to sleep. The same reason. Cool white lights have a greater proportion of blue light than lights with a warmer color temperature.

In reference to your blue LED Solitaire, I would not be concerned unless you are using it extremely near to your eyes, since the Solitaire does not put out enough light to be a problem unless it is shone directly into one's eyes. Also, the blue light emitted is not close to the ultraviolet portion of the spectrum, so that also lessens any impact.
    Remember, Two is One, and One is None!.

Itís coming from a maglite so Iím guessing the output is low enough that itís not going to do any damage and itís definitely not for forensics. That being said I still wouldnít stare into it.

Default Blue Light

Quote Originally Posted by Tribull View Post
    Itís coming from a maglite so Iím guessing the output is low enough that itís not going to do any damage and itís definitely not for forensics. That being said I still wouldnít stare into it.
    If itís normal blue and just for lighting your way, though not very useful (red or even red/green is better) thereís nothing to worry about.
    Which light is it may I ask, solitaire?
    Donít Tread On Me

Yes, itís a solitaire. I got a warm white, and a blue one. The blue seems much brighter though.

Flashaholic*

In the lux range from a normal flashlight, blue light won't damage your eyes. FWIW, I asked my retinologist that same question with respect to a blue light device which is pretty bright. He said it was fine, just don't stare directly into it.

Blue light is very bad for the eyes, significantly more bad than any other color.

This is because all visible blue light passes through the cornea and lens and directly reaches the retina. That, in turn,
    kills photo-receptor cells as the signaling molecule on the membrane dissolves (changes that resemble those of macular degeneration can be observed, which can lead to permanent vision loss). Photo-receptor cells do not regenerate in the eye. If you destroy them...they're "dead, Jim".

Such an effect does not occur with exposure to other colors (red, yellow, green or anything between R&G).

The added blue light exposure from computer screens, TV screens and smartphones can increase risk of macular degeneration over time (and further, it adds digital eye strain). More powerful exposure like from lasers it's extremely damaging. Of course, exposure to lasers of any color is damaging from a power level above (and also this is time-dependent), but think of blue beam exposure as x10 more damaging, because blue light has 100% penetration vs human eye.