NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        

Thread: Looking for an AA battery analyser

Default Looking for an AA battery analyser

Iíve got a lot of AA Eneloops many of which were purchased years ago and used a lot. I havenít done a good job of marking them so all of the cells are more or less mixed with newer ones.

Iím looking for suggestions on a battery analyser that can tell me a cells capacity or anything else that would indicate overall health.

Ive got a decent charger (Nitecore D4) so charging is not a requirement but Iím guessing is included in analysing. I used to have a Maha Powerex MH-C9000, probably shouldnít have sold that. Maybe thereís something more advanced now though.

Thanks.
    Last edited by mckeand13; 01-13-2019 at 10:22 AM.
    Click here for the CandlePower Forums member map.
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ead.php?383660

Default Re: Looking for an AA battery analyser

LaCrosse BC700, NiMH/NiCad AA/AAA charger that can refresh, discharge, and test capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by mckeand13 View Post
    Iím looking for suggestions on a battery analyser that can tell me a cells capacity or anything else that would indicate overall health.
    Get an analyser that measures internal resistance. It is a good indicator of overall health. Or an analyser that lowers the charge/discharge current for high-IR cells.

Get an OPUS BT-C2000 or any of its clones, like everActive NC-3000. Or get the smaller OPUS BT-C700.

Cheers,
    AA Cycler
    Last edited by AA Cycler; 01-13-2019 at 10:51 AM.
    Cycle count tests of AA batteries - http://aacycler.com

I recently bought a Miboxer C4 charger and have been pleased with its features;
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ger-Miboxer-C4
    It provides measurements of cell resistance, a count of the mAH charged into the cell and 1 of the 4 slots will do a full charge-discharge-charge cycle to more accurately measure the mAH capacity.
    I used the MiboxerC4 to evaluate & sort my collection of 50+ various rechargeable batteries. It was very useful for identifying the individual cells that were too worn for continued use and for identifying the cells that were still good performers.

Just get another Maha 9000 if you're only concerned with NiMH batteries.

Why you would have sold it, I don't know?

It's a pretty good unit and gives us a wealth of info.

Chris
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

Quote Originally Posted by AA Cycler View Post
    Get an analyser that measures internal resistance. It is a good indicator of overall health. Or an analyser that lowers the charge/discharge current for high-IR cells.

Get an OPUS BT-C2000 or any of its clones, like everActive NC-3000. Or get the smaller OPUS BT-C700.

Cheers,
    AA Cycler
    How about the Xtar Dragon plus? I'm thinking it might give more accurate IR readings?

Flashaholic* MidnightDistortions's Avatar

The C9000 is pretty good, although I noticed i had left some cells discharged for several (if not longer) months and my AAA cells showed high (my eneloop pros). My La Crosse charger will accept them and I did a 1Amp charge on them for a few minutes to get 30-50mAh in and the cells IR lowered when I tried them again in the C9000. Seems the pros don't hold up very well in storage but I did want to see what would happen if I charged them at a high rate and it looks like charging them will lower IR, on a good set of cells anyway.
    LED Lights: ThruNite TN4A, Coast HP7, LEDLenser T7, Fenix E25, Fenix LD41, Maglite 2D, Maglite XL50, Maglite 3D (3rd Gen), AA MiniMaglite Pro+
    Chargers: Maha C9000, La Crosse BC1000, Panasonic BQ-CC17, Eneloop user.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Iím thinking about the LaCrosse or another C9000. Iíll let you know which one I decide on and for what reasons.

Thanks!
    Click here for the CandlePower Forums member map.
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ead.php?383660

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Iím thinking about the LaCrosse or another C9000. Iíll let you know which one I decide on and for what reasons.

Thanks!
    Get another Maha.

I bought a BC-700 and my C9000 at the same time and I wish that I had just bought another C9000, as it's a more capable charger in every meaningful regard.

Chris
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

Thanks!
    I had the BC-700 and the BC-900 as well as the C9000.
    The word "High" on the C9000's display was in contrast to the LaCrosse which charged the AAAs without much trouble.

The problem of the C9000 is in the high peak current (about 2000mA) which recharges the AAA with too much force:

Today the simplest solution is the BT-C700 which forces the peak to about 1000mA:

Before the tests of HKJ these things could only be imagined but without giving a proven reason, we talk about 10 years ago ... a long time ago.

The almost perfect solution is a SKYRC MC3000, but I do not recommend it so much.
    Last edited by hc900; 01-19-2019 at 02:43 PM.