I have the Xtar VP2 for 18650 and 14500.

marcosg

Newly Enlightened
My question is. Can I charge all the 18650 and the 14500 with the Xtar VP2 with the switch set on 3.6?

Some of my 18650 an unreadable so I can not tell what they are rated for. Most are LG, Panasonic, Samsungs and Sanyo. The 14500 are EBL and Soshine.

Thanks

PS: Sorry, wrong forum. Can this post be moved to the batteries forum. Thanks

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to clarify this the switch settings are actually 3.6, 3.7, and 3.8V.

3.6V is for LiFeP04

3.7V is for standard Lithium Ions(4.2V termination)

3.8V is for cells with a termination voltage of 4.35V.

Just didn't want the OP to be confused.

Okay, that's confusing. I've normally seen LiFePO4 cells referred to as 3.2v cells, which is their average voltage over the entire discharge cycle. 3.6v (and sometimes 3.7v) is normally the standard lithium-ion cells which charge up to 4.2v.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, that's confusing. I've normally seen LiFePO4 cells referred to as 3.2v cells, which is their average voltage over the entire discharge cycle. 3.6v (and sometimes 3.7v) is normally the standard lithium-ion cells which charge up to 4.2v.
That is my mistake sorry(I should have looked at my VP2 instead of going from memory lol). I fixed it in the OP. Thanks for noticing so I can fix it👍.

And yes, it is confusing still. I don't see why it doesn't just say LiFeP04, 4.2V, and 4.35V. That would be more straight forward I think.

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast

They vary, just like we see 3.6v listed on some li-ions and 3.7v on others.

Just where the manufacturer wanted to call things 'nominal' in their testing protocols.

I'm using the 3.2v designator, coming hot off the charger at ~3.6v

Chris

ven

Flashaholic
3.2v setting(3.6v term) works well for a storage voltage as well for 4.2v cells. Not as much fun as burning the volts up with light though!

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
3.2v setting(3.6v term) works well for a storage voltage as well for 4.2v cells. Not as much fun as burning the volts up with light though!
You know, I have owned a VP2 for years now and have never thought of trying that. The only time my VP2 ever sees that switch setting is when I need to charge my LiFeP04's. Thanks for the tip Ven👍.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
3.2v setting(3.6v term) works well for a storage voltage as well for 4.2v cells.

I like between 3.70v and 3.75v for storage. That's about 50%, for most 18650 cells.

The problem with 3.6v is that for some cells (like my Keeppower 14500's), it's almost empty. I know it shouldn't be, but when the cells won't provide any more juice for a light, their resting voltage is 3.6v.

Also, I have some (fairly new) Samsung 26H cells that have a very steep discharge curve after about 3.7v, so 3.6v is getting much closer to empty than on my high drain cells.

I suppose my point is that you should know your cells, if you use a storage voltage of 3.6v. It's probably fine, but it could be quite low for some brands.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like between 3.70v and 3.75v for storage. That's about 50%, for most 18650 cells.

The problem with 3.6v is that for some cells (like my Keeppower 14500's), it's almost empty. I know it shouldn't be, but when the cells won't provide any more juice for a light, their resting voltage is 3.6v.

Also, I have some (fairly new) Samsung 26H cells that have a very steep discharge curve after about 3.7v, so 3.6v is getting much closer to empty than on my high drain cells.

I suppose my point is that you should know your cells, if you use a storage voltage of 3.6v. It's probably fine, but it could be quite low for some brands.

I know you quoted Ven but, since I quoted him...

I generally store my cells between 3.7 and 3.8V(Although I have all the manufacturers spec, I can't be bothered storing each cell at its ideal voltage as I have many and they are pretty durable). But, being able to walk away and get them to 3.6V is a very nice shortcut. I can always top them up a bit later but, the issue with trying to bring them to storage voltage on the 4.2V termination setting is I often get distracted and they end up full lol. Or, it is just very annoying constantly checking them to see if they are done.

I rarely use my VP2 these days(just for LiFeP04, 16340's, & now 4.35V) but, now I may use it the rare time I need to get cells close to storage(I usually use lights for that😉). Thanks again Ven👍.

marcosg

Newly Enlightened
Just to clarify this the switch settings are actually 3.2, 3.6, and 3.8V.

3.2V is for LiFeP04

3.6V is for standard Lithium Ions(4.2V termination)

3.8V is for cells with a termination voltage of 4.35V.

Just didn't want the OP to be confused.

Thank you!

marcosg

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for the help. This will help me with the VP2 as well a with the SP1 which has the same switch

ven

Flashaholic
Thank you all for the help. This will help me with the VP2 as well a with the SP1 which has the same switch

I have had my vp2 for a few years now, maybe 4 ish, also the SP1 . No issues at all, i also have a vp1 which is used daily in work(again issue free). vp4, xp4,wp6II off top of my head as well. Good quality sliders compared to some. My fav or one of them is the miboxer c4-12, awesome charger! but the bay springs are made of chocolate. Luckily my battery guy Norb sent me another(had to send pics of snapped springs for miboxer warranty). Have repaired them with stronger springs, bit of messing about and hope the posts dont snap now.
c8-24
8 bays of 3a each
r8mypAgl.jpg

Back on the vp2, i tend to use 1a for all 18650 and 16650 cells, 0.5a for most 16340 and 14500. If an older protected cell, then i will use the 0.25a setting.