hello everyone 14500 vs energizers litium batterys

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
No. Energizer L91 lithium batteries are lithium primaries producing around 1.7V - rather similar to ordinary AA batteries. 14500s are lithium ion batteries producing 3.2V (IFR) or 3.7V (ICR, IMR, INR, etc) nominal. If your light can safely run on higher voltage 14500s, your light will ALWAYS run brighter on them than Energizer L91 lithium primaries (which will be more similar to alkaline batteries of NiMH).

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
It completely depends on the flashlight, but often, yes the 14500 would produce higher output. Although, it could just as easily fry your AA light, in which case it would produce way less output. Some flashlights are properly regulated over a wide range of voltage (for example, 1.0v - 4.2v), in which case the output will be the same.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
No. Energizer L91 lithium batteries are lithium primaries producing around 1.7V - rather similar to ordinary AA batteries. 14500s are lithium ion batteries producing 3.2V (IFR) or 3.7V (ICR, IMR, INR, etc) nominal. If your light can safely run on higher voltage 14500s, your light will ALWAYS run brighter on them than Energizer L91 lithium primaries (which will be more similar to alkaline batteries of NiMH).

well n0w im bummed lol

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a light specific issue. Depending on the driver used in the exact flashlight you have, the output of the 14500 could be higher, it could be the same, or it could fry the driver altogether.

As above, 14500 rechargeables are higher voltage than AA batteries (Alkaline, NiMH, Energizer Lithiums) which range in the 1.2-1.7V range. 14500 are most often Li-ion of some form and nominally 3.7V, or less often they are LiFePo4 which are 3.2V nominal. The Li-ion variety fully charged are usually 4.2V.

fmc1

Enlightened
I agree that it depends on how the light was designed. An Olight s1a for example gives you four brightness modes moon, low, med and high with any AA it can be lithium primary, NiMh, eneloop, NiCd even alkaline. If you use a 14500 you get five brightness levels moon, low, med, high and turbo. Another example is a Thrunite archer 1A. It runs fine on all the same batteries but the output levels are the same with all of them. I like the s1a in the summer months it's often my EDC.

Frank

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree that it depends on how the light was designed. An Olight s1a for example gives you four brightness modes moon, low, med and high with any AA it can be lithium primary, NiMh, eneloop, NiCd even alkaline. If you use a 14500 you get five brightness levels moon, low, med, high and turbo. Another example is a Thrunite archer 1A. It runs fine on all the same batteries but the output levels are the same with all of them. I like the s1a in the summer months it's often my EDC.

Frank
The Nitecore EA11 is another light designed to use either cell. If a 14500 cell is used, the modes spread out further, and the max is about four times the lumens.

Bazar

Newly Enlightened
well n0w im bummed lol
Don't be bummed. The Energizer batteries are excellent batteries with lots of good use in flashlights. Their energy density is almost equal to all 14500s especially when you factor in their reduction in weight. When put to use in extreme cold they have far longer runtimes. They can be left in the flashlight (albeit no phantom drain) for extended periods of time with zero venting or exploding risk. And they will have close to the same output for a long time in the very common direct drive AA lights out there.

I almost exclusively run those in my AA lights.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
hello everyone i hope ya day is blessed ps how long will a energizer aa lithium last at 1 am load?