Old Maglite 3D with lots of corrosion...want to keep

ukiltmybrutha

Newly Enlightened
Hey!

This maglite 3d has sentimental value to me and I'd like to keep it. It started off as incandescent, but I converted it to LED.

I have in the past been too aggressive in cleaning flashlights using solvents and I am scared to wreck it.

Would you all mind taking a look at these pics and tell me how you'd go about cleaning it up. Believe it or not, it still works!

Thanks!

RamTuff

Newly Enlightened
I too have a MagLite but a MagCharger that has extreme sentimental value to me so I know where you're coming from.

My first thought when I saw this was to at least first, get that thing into a tub of baking soda to neutralize any acid or liquids that the bad batteries may have left but I'll sand bag this thread as I'm eager to see what the more astute opinions will have.

Best of luck... I'll be watching this thread as a measure of contingency
-Dave

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Did it still light?

Some use vinegar to break down the crud. I use a drill and sandpaper sticks where sand paper is glued to a dowel.

A Maglite officiando member here may chime in with some tips and tricks on how to disassemble it and clean stuff. Liftd4R.

To be honest it doesn't look bad. The critical area at the top appears nice and clean.

ukiltmybrutha

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all of this help. The light reminds me of tougher times and I like the idea of my family being able to carry something with some weight on it when they are out walking the dogs out on the boonies.

I once sprayed one of my cheap ebay blacklights that I used or diagnostics with brake clean when this happened. I learned for just a few bucks what not to do. Not only did it damage the plastic internals but it also marred the lens.

The Deoxit D5 looks like a good option (pricey) but I am starting to accumulate more flashlights than I'd like anyways so it might be an option. The vinegar and sandpaper trick might work too. Baking soda seems like it might work as well.

Yep, it still lights.

The old me would be tempted to put the body into my Harbor Freight Vibratory Parts Tumbler with Walnut Media. That would probably take forever and the media might get into the wrong spots.

TheBelgian

Newly Enlightened
DO NOT USE BAKING SODA!!!!:caution:
Baking soda in warm water will disolve aluminium. (As I have found out to my cost trying to clean old greasy crud from aluminium cooker hobs). The Aluminium will start fizzing and bubbling slightly and you'll be left with a dull mat coating, which can be scratched of but will leave it in a worse state.
I don't know what you should do instead but definitly don't use baking soda.

Last edited:

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did this to a 1986 vintage light a few years ago. After soaking the parts in vinegar and sanding with sticks and paper like mentioned above I clear coated the interior to keep the crud from growing. Not sure if that was necessary. Later I put in a LED drop in and sleeved it for use with C cells. 2 C's plus a short dummy so I did not have to mod the tail cap.

It is an older pre "D" serial number with the larger tube. This light has battle scars from the years of use it has seen so it seemed a shame to toss it.