New "Folding LED" light at Wal-Mart

DebtFree

Newly Enlightened
"Out-In-The-Woods", Alabama "Home of hurricanes an
Hey Everybody,
Wally World has a new LED light. It's called a "Folding LED" light. It is about the size of a pack of cigs, and is designed sort of like a "flip" phone (thus the term "folding").

Made by Energizer, it looks like it has 2 small flourescent tubes on the front, each about 2 inches long and 1/4 inch in diameter. But, on closer inspection, you find that they aren't flourescent tubes at all, but just transluscent sleeves with a white LED at one end (of each tube).

It has a 3-position switch: 1 LED, or 2 LEDs, with center-off.

It is powered by 4 AA's, and is stated to last 100 hours using both LEDs, or 200 hours on just one LED.

The cost was eight dollars and change, batteries NOT included.

Light output is fair. I don't really have anything to compare it to. LEDs are probably waaaay underpowered. But, I can give you an example of their output:
When I drive home from work at nite, (midnite), I am usually reaching into my lunch cooler for an apple or some other snack, so I like a small light on in the truck cab. I used to have my white Infinity attached to my rearview mirror, to shine down on the seat (lunch cooler). I now run the folding light with ONE LED on, and it gives a lot more light. (It fits nicely above the sun visor on the passenger side.)

So, does it put out more light than the Infinity? It's hard to say. It is a more indirect light, but probably I would say yes. Btw, it is too bright to use both LEDs for this application. But remember, all I was looking for was a semi-dim "moonlight" kind of effect. It works great for that.

Just wanted to give everybody a "heads up", and a quick review. I'll leave the real reviewing to the professionals here.

(Btw - off subject - how did Gransee get dropped down to 4 stars??? Kind of rattles your faith in ... everything! If ANYONE deserves 5 stars ... it's him! Actually, he should have TEN stars. Peter, you can have mine!!! That'll bump you up to nine.)
smile.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
2 look at that light, see thread-"4AA Light from Dorcy" (page 2). posted 7/9/01
-Picture of that Eveready unit from Mr. Bear:O

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DebtFree:
(Btw - off subject - how did Gransee get dropped down to 4 stars??? Kind of rattles your faith in ... everything! If ANYONE deserves 5 stars ...
smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, that really bites. I bet it is another LED flashlight manufacturer who is jealous and just trying to ruin his rep.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only have 4 stars!? I thought I didn't have any. Sheeze louise!
smile.gif

Yes, my last trip to Walmart I saw about 4 different types of LED flashlights. The Brinkman, the Energizer folding, the Petzl 3-LED conversion, and another I can't remember. Even though these lights may not be up to our standards, this is definately an indicator of LED's going mainstream in a big way.

Peter Gransee

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gransee:
I only have 4 stars!? I thought I didn't have any. Sheeze louise!
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

With all the votes you have, it would take two or even three people putting in a sh%&$#tty vote in order to lop a full star off the end. :-x
That bites.
cussing.gif
cussing.gif
cussing.gif
cussing.gif
cussing.gif

X-CalBR8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I got so fed up with the "star" rating system that I disabled the whole thing long ago. Like you guys said, it only takes one person giving you a bad rating to mess the whole thing up. I wish a more fair rating system could be devised. Oh well, no big deal, I guess.

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Instead of playing hide and seek looking for the picture, I am re-posting picture here

tQ37841.jpg

BTW, it was DavidW that mentioned this light, and as a true addict, had to have it
smile.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome aboard, Aragorn! A quick word of advice from a fellow North Carolina resident : "Whoa, big fella, slow down!" Many of the pepole who post here work during the day and it can take a while before you get a response. Be patient!

Something you may want to check into is the little "search" link at the top of the forum window. I have found that many of the quesitons I would have asked are already posted along with the answers.

Again, welcome aboard!

DP

PS: 5 more starts to ya, Gransee!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aragorn:
i don't mean to be rude but i was under the impression that you spoke to newbees please reply to my post from this morning

gransee- this morning you got my 5 star vote if it makes you feel better
smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Welcome, new bee!
Welcome, to the exciting and ever-evolving world of LEDs. Some scientist say you are never more than three feet away from a spider. In this case, it sounds likely that you are never more than three feet away from an LED or LED flashlight.
rainbow.gif

I'm pleased to hear you found my website useful. If you want a different view of LED lights, be sure to visit Brock's and Chris M's websites as well.
I have both of them linked on my "LED Links" page for your convenience.

Gransee: Whoever gave you the crappy vote(s) should be ashamed of themselves.
With all the votes you have, it's hard to imagine that one bad vote would ***** the whole rating.
frown.gif

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
HI Aragom

Welcome aboard! Like someone else mentioned earlier, some members don't get to play until after work. I have been a member for only a few months, but took the time to read each and every post since the beginning (Yes, I need to get a Life) and quite honestly can't remember an other member coming right out and saying they work for Proton. As you may already know, NEILSEN LABS are the folks that design/engineer the Photons, which are actually manufactured overseas, and they are located in Irvine, Calif.

If your are looking for just one IR led, you might check these guys
http://www.theledlight.com/led-specs.html
httP://www.whiteLEDs.net

Most of the suppliers have some kind of minimum ($50)

Last, if you haven't read up on this topic,
I don't think anyone on this board will ever buy from BOTACH Tactical Supply; just too many problems

Again, welcome to the CPF

smile.gif
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Re; Folding LED light from WW...

I picked one up at the same time I got the Dorcy "tight-beam" LED. Strangely, I can't find the Dorcy. Wonder if one of the kids made off w/ it?

I haven't figured a "non-destructive" way to take the illumination chamber appart. If I could, then I'd back the chamber w/ some reflectorized mylar or even some aluminum foil. That will increase the availlable light output.

DebtFree

Newly Enlightened
"Out-In-The-Woods", Alabama "Home of hurricanes an
Well Boys,
Looks like I've been downgraded to 4 stars, also. My opinion is, that we've got some of the most outstanding individuals in the world on this forum ... but I guess we've got a few petty ones, too. Guess I'm in good company, huh Gransee?

Honors have no meaning, if they can be given and taken away on a whim. So, if you want the other 4, you can have them, too.

My purpose for joining this forum was (and still is) to share information with and from friends... which I will continue to do ... regardless of how many stars I have. (Re-read the 2nd paragraph above.)

Except for the petty few, I am proud to be affiliated with such outstanding individuals.

"If you want to HAVE a friend ... you have to BE a friend!"
smile.gif

Regards,

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DebtFree:
Well Boys,
Looks like I've been downgraded to 4 stars, also. My opinion is, that we've got some of the most outstanding individuals in the world on this forum ... but I guess we've got a few petty ones, too. Guess I'm in good company, huh Gransee?

Honors have no meaning, if they can be given and taken away on a whim. So, if you want the other 4, you can have them, too.

My purpose for joining this forum was (and still is) to share information with and from friends... which I will continue to do ... regardless of how many stars I have. (Re-read the 2nd paragraph above.)

Except for the petty few, I am proud to be affiliated with such outstanding individuals.

"If you want to HAVE a friend ... you have to BE a friend!"
smile.gif

Regards,
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pardon my ignorance, but I didn't even know it was possible to mess with anybody else's stars
confused.gif

My theory: I have seen one or two stars disappear from other poeple's names from time to time and then reappear all of a sudden..!?!? software problem?
-How about it, David W.?

Besides,-this whole "star" thing was just designed for a little extra fun, am I RIGHT???
grin.gif

p.s...-just how DO you remove stars from somebody else?
wink.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
just how DO you remove stars from somebody else?

Well if you havn`t rated them before- just give a really crappy rating. That brings the overall average score down and depending on how many other good votes they`ve had, a star may vanish. And I`m pretty sure that 3 stars or less don`t even show up- which is why stars sometimes dissapear totally. Once rated, I havn`t found a way to change my mind and retract or alter my vote- so vote carefully cos you can`t go back and change.
I doubt the system works 100% properly, there was a mention a while ago of the fact that the sums don`t add up right- when you look in your profile and see your average score.

My theory is that there a silent few- maybe just one or two but with numerous different log-in names, who don`t post anything but just watch- and occassionally meddle with people`s stars giving them poor 1-star ratings. I know for sure that no regulars here would give poor mr Gransee anything less than top marks for all the hard work he has to do, to put up with us lot! Something isn`t right.....

rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Continuing off topic.....
Chris, If you give somebody only one or two stars for an informative post, is that considered a "crappy" rating??
confused.gif

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
What Chris said. He's pretty much on the money on how stars work. It works both ways. You can go around giving 5 star ratings to members. And Gransee pretty much speaks for himself. No stars or 5 stars.

If you think it is getting out of hand, I can turn the whole rating system off.

The light is better than I expected. My kids use it as a nightlight. They stuff it in the bunk bed between the mattress and frame. It shines down pretty good. I was heading to bed one night and saw an eery bluish-white glow coming from their room. I checked on it and it was the light. It puts out a lot of area-light. They like to leave it on the high setting.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aragorn:
thanks for the welcome
telephony- you did read what i said about your photon 3 didn't you
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm still going through the messages - a little at a time - so I'm sure I'll get to it soon.
smile.gif

Of course, now that I have *another* $*%&#&^@ light to test, that might be delayed a few more hours.
Anyone who's a boater would love the First Star LED navigational/anchor light.
This thing just came in the mail, and since I don't have a boat, what better alternative venue to test it than by putting it on a fiberglass pole on my wheelchair.
As a marker light, it should be visible quite a distance away.
But that's another topic (maybe one I'll start later) so I'll end it here for now.