Fenix Outfitters        

Thread: Side/dual switches

Default Side/dual switches

Whatís up with the prevalence of dual switch lights? Maybe itís just me but isnít it a PITA to mess around with multiple switches? I always liked the click-tap-tap UI of a forward tail clicky. Worrying about messing with a side switch, changing grip, etc is just a hassle.

Default Re: Side/dual switches

I agree that dual switches cause confusion. But, I definitely prefer a side switch to a tail switch.

A dual switch can be very efficient for those who need to change intensity regularly, but some are much better than others. The Nitecore models with switches right next to each other work best for me. But if not used consistently, it is easy to forget how it works.

Post 1: tail switch fan.
    Post 2: side switch fan.

Nuf said?
    John 3:16

Default Side/dual switches

For the person who is not a ďflashlight personĒ. Dual switches are easier to figure out, IMO. Single switches with different UIís need to be learned, and some are quite awful and unintuitive. Double click, triple click, press and hold, etc. The average person has no idea what that is. Even the simple half presses on tail switches are not obvious.

In my experience, most dual switches are simply a power button and a mode button. Just about anyone can figure that out pretty quickly. There are nuances to some, but basic functionality is easy.

Side switches are typically more traditional, and I think most people prefer them out of habit. I like tail switches for EDC, because side switches are too easily accidentally activated, and I hate lockout. However, I donít mind a side switch in regular use and household lights.
    Last edited by Berneck1; 02-14-2019 at 08:26 AM.

In my experience, side switches such as Nitecore's came into prominence with the advent of specialized modes like strobe, SOS, and beacon, etc. Leaving those modes in the main switching sequence using a single switch just frustrated many users. Dual switch setups usually have a special sequence that enables those special modes, and keeps them out of the main sequence of selections.
    Remember, Two is One, and One is None!.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothybil View Post
    In my experience, side switches such as Nitecore's came into prominence with the advent of specialized modes like strobe, SOS, and beacon, etc. Leaving those modes in the main switching sequence using a single switch just frustrated many users. Dual switch setups usually have a special sequence that enables those special modes, and keeps them out of the main sequence of selections.
    Very good point. Itís almost impossible to activate strobe or any flashy mode on my Nitecore lights without knowing how to do it. My wife and kids have activated strobe on my other lights before without trying.

I'm a big fan of the dual switch setup on my Acebeam L16. Very versatile; rear forward clicky/momentary for turbo & on/off, side switch for all levels & on/off. Almost like 2 lights in 1.
    Last edited by SCEMan; 02-15-2019 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck91 View Post
    What’s up with the prevalence of dual switch lights? Maybe it’s just me but isn’t it a PITA to mess around with multiple switches? I always liked the click-tap-tap UI of a forward tail clicky. Worrying about messing with a side switch, changing grip, etc is just a hassle.
    Dual switch lights have been around for quite a while now, I'm not sure when exactly but I am fairly certain it was several years ago. I wanna say JetBeam started it...but it might have been Fenix.

Well it ~might~ just be you...I personally prefer to have the tail switch just turn the light on and off. I especially like what Olight did with the M2R and M2T where it over-rides whatever mode it was in to blast out max power and then goes out when released. I also like the slightly older method used by the M1X and M21X2 as well as the secondary switch being next to the main power tail switch as in the Klarus XT and Nitecore P series models. Although a perfect arrangement for me would be to use the UI from the M2T but move the secondary switch to the tailcap as in the Klarus models. Heck even if it was like the M20SX switches I would go for it.

Personally I can't stand lights that use the power interrupt method to change output modes, I would rather have a separate switch for that. Even models like the Eagtac series that use the head turning to adjust output are an improvement to me except that occasionally those can require two hands to operate.

Having options is always good.

All of these old guys have dual switches.

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1550240570.448767.jpg
    hunter, fisherman, flashlight enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Buck91 View Post
    Whatís up with the prevalence of dual switch lights? Maybe itís just me but isnít it a PITA to mess around with multiple switches? I always liked the click-tap-tap UI of a forward tail clicky. Worrying about messing with a side switch, changing grip, etc is just a hassle.
    I prefer being able to use my flashlight for repeated short flashes either for signalling or checking dark spaces without having to keep it on and blinding myself between them, while i do love most of my single-switch lights it's pretty hard to do that without ending up in a completely different mode while signalling.

For small lights like 123 powered lights a tail switch is nice for me. Perhaps a side switch to change modes as a bonus but not needed to float my boat.

For big lights like D sized or weight forward like a Stinger I prefer a side switch as it helps reduce wrist fatigue.
    John 3:16

I don't mind lights with dual switches.... as long as the design is done right.

Tailcap switch that gives you instant access to the brightest setting (Turbo) immediately. Double-tap for strobe mode. Side switch controlling the rest of the modes: Firefly, moonlight, low, medium, high.

ThruNite TN12 2016 being a good example of what I mean.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.