Jetbeam        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the least important/most disliked feature for you in flashlights?

Default Re: What is the least important/most disliked feature for you in flashlights?

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    Easy. Programming that requires a computer. Mode cycling without direct access to a desired output. Oh, and a nasty cold beam tint with low CRI.
    Isnít that only one driver?

Conversely I *love* optical programming. It allows me to dial in without guesses exactly what I want. And since I have my phone I can download other programs and load them on the fly replacing entire sets of configuration on the fly without figuring out the taps. My only gripe about the 371D is four modes seems like a small number for such an advanced driver.

Default Re: What is the least important/most disliked feature for you in flashlights?

Two switches on the tail.....PASS.

1. Any CCT above 5000K, AND piss poor tints with purple mixed with green or sharp blue rings.
    2. Strobes and flashy modes in the main rotation, these should not be on lights, or at least buried if they must be there
    3. Descending mode order, a light should always start at the lowest level, but a shortcut to high is fine
    4. USB charging due to water ingress and poor implementation
    5. Long press for ON or OFF on e-switched lights
    6. Sharp tacticool styling, in particular sharp crenelations
    7. Low frequency PWM
    8. Weak or useless pocket clips
    9. Poor mode spacing
    10. Turbo modes in main rotation, I understand having them, but I prefer them behind a double tap with an actual useful high mode in the main cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasher View Post
    The crap UI found in the fast-n-furious hello kitty glowing-lights-under-the-stanced-car with disco/candle/lava/toilet modes with the added insult of needing click-click-doubleclick-click-hold-wait-click-click interactions to get what you want, yet still can't be set to prevent someone from picking up the light and wildly clicking away resulting in the "programming" being changed.

Usually found on the lumen drag racer darling of the month lights, giving 5 seconds of maximum output before plummeting to actual maximum output.

Two utterly useless characteristics.
    I think it would be game-changing if some manufacturer could develop a flashlight with a very basic visual UI that they then could port to all their models. The most basic digital wristwatch UI has all the functionality required. It just needs a very small LCD to display one line of info with just two function buttons (something like "mode" and "set/reset," where you hold them both for 3 seconds to enter programming mode and then everything is self-explanatory from there). I understand that there are much more advanced options out there today with high resolution OLED touch screens, but even the UI of a digital wristwatch from 20+ years ago would be a huge step up from the 15+ click, click-hold, double-click mess that many modern flashlight UI's result in for the user that ventures into advanced functionality. The Nitecore TUP is a step in the right direction, just not a hugely appealing flashlight in the market.

Flashaholic

Having two switches. WHY WOULD A NITECORE TINI NEED TWO SWITCHES? IT IS TINY!
    Right-angle is the right angle!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by likethevegetable View Post
    Having two switches. WHY WOULD A NITECORE TINI NEED TWO SWITCHES? IT IS TINY!
    Heh, I'm the opposite. I feel like the most ridiculous, unacceptable, and cumbersome UIs are all one-switch. All it takes is a second switch to really give the UI designers some room to give a better user experience -- simple and easy shortcuts to turbo and extra low, mode switching separate from on/off, etc. For my type of usage (I realize you might use your light different from me, which is probably the reason for our opposite views) the only place one switch tends to work better is single-mode tactical, and to a much lesser extent, some of the really brilliant one-button UIs from folks like HDS and Zebralight.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Fireclaw18 View Post
    I quite like having a burst turbo that can output thousands of lumens from a light way too small to sustain it. It's useful for when I need a lot of light on something and for wowing friends.

However, I agree that 5-seconds of turbo is too low. But something like the Emisar D4 that gives me 20 seconds of turbo before gradually ramping down to a sustained high over the next 30 seconds or so is quite useful.
    I love burst turbo and use it often -- for my usage, it's an amazingly useful feature and I lean hard towards lights with that feature. Unlike when I'm using low or medium, in an EDC light I tend to use turbo mode in momentary bursts anyway, so it's a perfect fit. I've never heard of a light with 5s of turbo, I'm assuming that's hyperbole? But many lights have a minute of turbo (longer if you are flashing it), and that often works great for me.

Complicated UIís annoy me, so I typically avoid that. The flashy modes are largely useless. If the light has them, I prefer that they can be either disabled or are buried in the UI without chance of accidentally activating. Otherwise, itís a dealbreaker.

I donít like a light that is too floody, I prefer more throw. I like to focus on what Iím pointing the light at. If itís too floody it actually distracts my vision, if that makes sense.

Anything overly tactical looking. Crenelated bezel is something I avoid, especially if itís not removable.

While I will probably never get rid of all of them, Iím moving back toward lights that take common battery types. Theyíre achieving performance with AA batteries that was only achievable with Li-ion a few short years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Thetasigma View Post
    1. Any CCT above 5000K, AND piss poor tints with purple mixed with green or sharp blue rings.
    2. Strobes and flashy modes in the main rotation, these should not be on lights, or at least buried if they must be there
    3. Descending mode order, a light should always start at the lowest level, but a shortcut to high is fine
    4. USB charging due to water ingress and poor implementation
    5. Long press for ON or OFF on e-switched lights
    6. Sharp tacticool styling, in particular sharp crenelations
    7. Low frequency PWM
    8. Weak or useless pocket clips
    9. Poor mode spacing
    10. Turbo modes in main rotation, I understand having them, but I prefer them behind a double tap with an actual useful high mode in the main cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireclaw18 View Post
    Features I dislike in lights:

* Long press for on-off
    * no shortcut to turbo
    * no shortcut to moonlight
    * UI that requires cycling all modes including disco mode just to turn off.
    * Cool white color temp
    * Greenish tint above the black-body line.
    * protruding easy-to-press button in a pocket EDC light (worst offender: Nitecore Concept 1)
    * USB covers that don't stay in their sockets.
    * Crenelations in the head and tail.
    * No knurling
    * Low frequency PWM
    +1 on all!
    Last edited by Tixx; 02-14-2019 at 11:32 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12