E-Series Tailcap Indexing?

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys, does anyone know anyone that makes a copper crush washer, spring washer, or shims to allow you to index an E-Series tailcap with McClicky?

Last edited:

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you tried McMaster-Carr? I don't have an e body to measure but if you search for "wave spring" they have enough sizes that one is bound to fit.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Index it how? There aren't any markings on mine.
A McClicky has to be screwed on tightly to make reliable contact and on some tailcaps you might want a flat spot or hollow(think RPM, Malkoff Tricap, etc.) indexed in a certain position. To do this you have to back off the cap a certain amount which can partially(inconsistent) or full break the electrical connection. I am looking for a washer or shim to allow me to index yet still maintain a rock solid electrical connection.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you tried McMaster-Carr? I don't have an e body to measure but if you search for "wave spring" they have enough sizes that one is bound to fit.
No, as I was thinking maybe one of the flashlight modders or aftermarket companies made one but, that is a good idea. I will have to get my mic out and then see what they have. Thanks Dan👍.

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Tachead,

if I understand you correctly, you might want a washer between the McClicky and the rubber boot. Any 'loose' washer between the body and McClicky might still make intermittent contact. In this case, I would think any home depot washer (in right size) would work.

I would also think which tailcap you're referring to, as in Z57 or z52 or RPM will have some effect depending on build tolerances. A McClicky in Z57 has to be modified to fit and that may have an impact on how well the McClicky will make contact with the body.

Sorry, if the above is something you know already but thought I'd share my thoughts just in case. Good luck finding what you're looking for.

fyrstormer

Banned
A McClicky has to be screwed on tightly to make reliable contact and on some tailcaps you might want a flat spot or hollow(think RPM, Malkoff Tricap, etc.) indexed in a certain position. To do this you have to back off the cap a certain amount which can partially(inconsistent) or full break the electrical connection. I am looking for a washer or shim to allow me to index yet still maintain a rock solid electrical connection.
Those index marks are supposed to show where to turn the cap to lock-out the switch, not to engage the switch. Engaging the switch is easy -- tighten the tailcap until it stops.

If you still want the index marks to align perfectly when the switch is engaged, and you're sure you'll use a McClicky switch in that light for the rest of its life (and why wouldn't you?), then you can sand-down the end of the battery tube to shorten the threads until the index marks align.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Tachead,

if I understand you correctly, you might want a washer between the McClicky and the rubber boot. Any 'loose' washer between the body and McClicky might still make intermittent contact. In this case, I would think any home depot washer (in right size) would work.

I would also think which tailcap you're referring to, as in Z57 or z52 or RPM will have some effect depending on build tolerances. A McClicky in Z57 has to be modified to fit and that may have an impact on how well the McClicky will make contact with the body.

Sorry, if the above is something you know already but thought I'd share my thoughts just in case. Good luck finding what you're looking for.

Thanks for the help. I just to take up a tiny bit of space, I will figure something out.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those index marks are supposed to show where to turn the cap to lock-out the switch, not to engage the switch. Engaging the switch is easy -- tighten the tailcap until it stops.

If you still want the index marks to align perfectly when the switch is engaged, and you're sure you'll use a McClicky switch in that light for the rest of its life (and why wouldn't you?), then you can sand-down the end of the battery tube to shorten the threads until the index marks align.

I am not talking about the index marks(dots) on some tailcaps, I am talking about decorative tailcaps like the tricap and RPM. In order to get the flats or groves to line up with certain clip and body combinations the tailcap cannot just be tightened or it will end up in the wrong spot and get in the way of the clip.

These are Lego lights so will not stay in the same configuration, not to mention sanding down the end of an expensive host(some are hundreds of dollars)is not an option imo. That's why I thought of shims or a wave or crush washer. This is how muzzle devices are indexed on firearms.

If I can't find a ready made item I guess I will have a buddy machine me a bunch of washers out of thin copper shim stock and then I can just stack them until I get the right indexing with the tailcap tight. I may even just be able to slightly loosen the McClicky but, this will all have to wait as I just fractured my left wrist and now have a splint on😔.

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
Oh, I see what you're talking about.

Maybe you can find some circular shims for RC cars that will work. They come in 0.1mm - 0.3mm thicknesses in a variety of diameters. Kyosho, Calandra, and Racer's Edge all make shims in a variety of sizes.

Also, depending on how slight the adjustment is, you might be able to tighten or loosen the switch inside the tailcap slightly to get the positioning you want. The rubber ring around the base of the switch boot should give you just enough leeway for minor adjustments.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, I see what you're talking about.

Maybe you can find some circular shims for RC cars that will work. They come in 0.1mm - 0.3mm thicknesses in a variety of diameters. Kyosho, Calandra, and Racer's Edge all make shims in a variety of sizes.

Also, depending on how slight the adjustment is, you might be able to tighten or loosen the switch inside the tailcap slightly to get the positioning you want. The rubber ring around the base of the switch boot should give you just enough leeway for minor adjustments.
Good idea, I never thought of that even though RC is one of my other hobbies(RC Helicopters though). I will have a look👍.

Yeah, that's my other plan but, it will have to wait until I heal up a bit as I can't use my left hand to do much right now.

Thanks for the added ideas fyrstormer, I appreciate it👍.

fyrstormer

Banned
Another idea that occurs to me: If the switch screws-in from the inside of the tailcap and presses against the underside of the switch boot, then you could cut a suitably-sized ring from a business card and put that on top of the switch before installing it, to make the switch seat a little further "out" than normal. The tailcap wouldn't screw onto the body quite as far, but that would still allow you to index the rotational position of the tailcap relative to the pocket clip.

Last edited: