Malkoff        

Thread: Haylo Emergency Power LED Light Bulb

Flashaholic*

Default Haylo Emergency Power LED Light Bulb

https://www.boundery.com/collections...led-light-bulb

Does anybody here know anything about these? My pessimistic, knee jerk reaction is as follows:

-Neat Idea,

-Way Over-Priced,

-The Price Should/Will Come Down (or they will starve selling those.)

Default Re: Haylo Emergency Power LED Light Bulb

Grand idea, but yeah, a bit spendy; it'd be nice to see other companies run with the idea so they all have to compete..

Flashaholic*

https://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable-...+battery&psc=1

A quick search at Amazon found these. I might do a more exhaustive search to see what else is out there.

I know when I bought some 120 volt outlets, with built in USB charging ports, the prices were all over AND the specifications for the USB ports were all over the place.

You'd think the Amazon employee would think to look there, duh. That's awesome that it's warm tint, if we had power outages I'd get at least a pack of those..

They've been around for a little while already. A friend on a street lighting forum that I frequently visit has the version that Feit Electric sells at Home Depot under the "IntelliBulb" branding.

https://www.feit.com/products/bulbs/...2700k-led-a19/

https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gal...=12&pid=145657

It recharges whenever the light is on (you’ll want to use it a few hours a day to keep the internal battery fully charged) During an outage, it works by sensing a path between hot (bottom contact) and neutral (screw) through other loads in the house. This does require the light switch feeding the fixture to be turned to the “on” position to provide a complete path for the circuitry to sense and come on during an outage. It’s also why it couldn’t be used on a circuit with multiple bulbs/sockets as it would sense through the other bulbs’ filament/ballast/circuitry when the switch is off and stay lit in “emergency” mode
    The Feit battery backup bulb didn’t come with the hook socket like the other two products mentioned above but all that does is just connect the screw part to the bottom contact. A piece of aluminum foil wrapped over base allowed me to use it as a flashlight. It only lasted roughly an hour vs the 3 it mentioned on the package when we tried it out like that although I don’t think it was fully charged at the time. My friend mentioned to me that the standard for emergency lighting was a minimum of 90 minutes

One could also get it to turn on by gripping the base tightly with a wet/sweaty hand or by putting the base in one’s mouth (Rick did an “Uncle Fester” with the bulb)

Flashaholic*

If I do get some, I have to think a bit on where I would use these. For example, if I have lost power, it is probably because of severe thunderstorms or tornadoes. And, in that case, the family and I might be in the basement. So, one or two of those down there might not be such a bad idea.

And, of course, as any good CPF "flashaholic", I have flashlights. However, if the family is gathered and there is no power, having an overhead light might be nice. The chances are we would be watching local news on our smartphones!

You want the light where you are and to where the flashlight is..

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    You want the light where you are and to where the flashlight is..
    That is an excellent point. I also have an Eton Blackout Buddy Charge. I figure that will light things up enough until I get my real flashlights!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Eton-Bla...-SNG/302572242