Fenix Outfitters        

Thread: Galaxy S7 Edge ó> Flashlight?

Arrow Galaxy S7 Edge ó> Flashlight?

Got a decommissioned Galaxy S7 Edge, which BARELY worked, all glass was completely shattered. One thing Samsung got right is the flash LED is absolutely sublime. While iPhone default flash is cold white (almost greenish in comparison) and compensates by extra two LED of bastard amber tint ó Samsung simply used one powerful LED which seems to either have very high CRI or a perfect shade of neutral-warm tint.

Ive compared it to an indandescent minimag and itís not that yellow at all, and the brightness is about 2/4 that of iPhone 8ís setting, though Iím sure I could push it a bit more.

This is a very very impressive little light and I would love to create a pen sized flashlight that would run on either 1 or 2 AA.

if anyone can shed some light on what model/make LED this is, max voltage and amperage, I would greatly appreciate it, also please give me ideas on how to remove it from the board. I practiced on another galaxy S2 and when I used a heat shrinking heatgun it started melting white LED plastic, pushing it while heating I only managed to gouge the glass lens out, the only other thing I can think of is slowly cutting the board around it.

here is the picture of what I have, sorry if bad format Iím off my phone at the moment.

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Galaxy S7 Edge ó> Flashlight?

If you are curious on CRI

Holy cow, thank you so much! 87/100 that is impressive, no wonder Iíve been obsessing over the tint, I was surprised with how well I see colors with it at night.

Now I need to get some schematics to get the voltage and amperage I wouldnít want to burn this gem, ideally I want to create a thin flashlight using galaxy 7 edge battery, maybe even repurpose the wireless charger, and maybe even get a second and third such LED.

Do you have readings for S8, S9? I wonder whoís making these, this is such day and night difference Vs crappy 5mm LEDs, like why doesnít notecore or whatever make pocket keychain lights with such gem?
    Last edited by Krane; 02-23-2019 at 11:50 AM.

Flashaholic*

I do not have an S9 to test but the S8 uses the same LED.

I am not sure if you are attached to this particular LED but theres a ton of readily available high CRI LEDs out there that are better and flashlight friendly at 3V.

Nichia 219A
    Nichia 219B
    Nichia 219C
    Nichia E21A
    Nichia Optisolis
    Luminus Xnova Cube
    Luminus SST-20
    Luminus SBT-70
    Osram Oslon Square
    Lumileds Luxeon MZ
    Samsung LH351B
    Samsung LH351C
    Samsung LH351D

It is really bright.... I do a lot of selling on craigslist and I used to use my DSLR for all the pics of items, but starting with my S7 Edge ive been using that, the light is bright enough to get surprisingly good photos especially macro kinds of stuff.

Itís not very bright as flashlight, about half as bright as 2 out of 4 LEDís of iPhone on 50% brightness, but light quality beats iPhone 8 flash hands down. Second thing, when you take a picture, is the flash brighter than regular flashlight mode? On iPhone itís usually very bright about twice as bright as max flash.

iPhone also uses the bastard ambler flash too but itís unicorn rare, certainly never in flashlight mode. There is a way to trick iPhone through video mode to enable the Amber flash, focus on something red, then tap and enable flash,Iím not sure how good this LED mixing is and whether together it produces a high CRI, but Iím curious.
    Last edited by Krane; 02-27-2019 at 12:52 AM.

Flashaholic*

I do not have an iPhone 8 but I do have an XS Max. Also, if you want more phones tested you should send them to me. This is the last of what I have.

95?? 97??? 3000K?!! That was unexpected. I would say I could get about 4000K but I couldnít get 3000K though Iím sure itís posisble, hmmmmm... thank you for those readings very informative.

Got max lumens by any chance? Kinda curious. For S7 during flashlight mode and Flash during picture mode. Same for iPhone for warm+cold video mode, flashlight mode, and picture mode.

Flashaholic*

When turning on the flash in video nice I had it pointed in the general direction of an incandescent bulb. May also be due to 8 vs XS model differences

Best way to remove that LED is probably a hot-air reflow station.