how bright really is the luxeon star

napalm-2002

Enlightened
ok we have all been drooling and wondering long enough.just how bright is it!is it like 2,4,6,8 nichia 5600 mcd whites or what.i want to know if i should stop messing with 5600 nichias or wait till i can buy a a case of luxeon stars
tongue.gif

grin.gif
please i just want to know if a 100$ for a arc-ls is really worth it.Gransee i mean absolutely no disrespect by that comment.i "know" you make one hell of a light.but if the output really is what we all expect then instead of 10 or 20 5600's in a double barrel energizer is a waist of time.and believe me i like to play just as much as the next flashaholic but i'd like to know what i'm up against.

and sincerely Gransee i mean no disrespect toward your arc-ls.

maybe you could send me one to try out.
cool.gif

ya i know thats asking alot but the price of the light is also.

but with all honesty if i ever do get to see one i'll probably end up buyin a couple of em.just alot to swallow.
tongue.gif

btw i just ordered 2 turqouise arc-aaa cant wait till they show up.keep up the good work Gransee!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
When the reviewers get their Arc-LS prototypes- they will be able to compare the beam with other lights with 7/10/14 leds, etc. Then you should get an idea of what to expect. The prototypes should go out by the end of next week.

Of course, I should also say at this time that the units they will recieve are for testing and not for reviewing. Let me explain: A reviewer evaluates a production unit and notes it's good and bad qualities. A tester mostly just looks for bad qualities so the production units, when they come, are as refined as possible.

The Arc-LS is an expensive flashlight and we want to make extra sure that we don't miss anything before we go to production.

In fact, we may delay production just to fix problems that are discovered and run extra tests.

The reason we selected reviewers like Craig, Brock and Chris to do testing is because they handle a lot of flashlights and therefore make perfect beta testers in my opinion. We will also keep several prototype here for our own testing. Between all these testers, we hope to not miss anything.

During the testing phase, I will ask the testers not to write a whole lot about the flashlight. It is simply too early for a review. They might post a picture and some beam comparisons, but that would probally be it. For this particular task, please think of them as very qualified beta testers.

Peter Gransee

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gransee:
The reason we selected reviewers like Craig, Brock and Chris to do testing is because they handle a lot of flashlights and therefore make perfect beta testers in my opinion<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...A "lot" of flashlights.... hehehe now that's an understatement...
wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gransee:
During the testing phase, I will ask the testers not to write a whole lot about the flashlight<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No problemo, I'll keep this firmly in mind whilst striking thy flashlight against thy rod of par steel.
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

"!is it like 2,4,6,8 nichia 5600 mcd whites"

as far as the Big new wizz bang LED, without a light meter:
only ONE of them is bright enough to replace my 2d mag light with zenon 2.4V bulb, it gets really hot , i dont know how it will last (batterywize) in a flashlight as it also uses more power than 8-10 5600s but 1/4 what the mag uses, the beam is sharp sharper and tighter than any led, as it has its own specially designed lens on it.
pull off the lens and it makes a wash of light.

if i lens the top of its lens it is possible to make it act similar to a mag light with a big black hole in the center

but if i lens the led without its lens with a simple magnifyer it is possible to make a focusable beam that focuses to a point or to a soft wide almost perfect beam with a big ring around it of course
i can make a spot that is tighter than a mag and brighter too with the added lensing

does even the exhorbadent cost of the led now make up for the quantity of light output out of it, YES, but it is the width of the light, a type that seems suited for a flashlight or spotlight

if somone did a focusable using this led, and a plastic magnifyer as the lens, heatsynced it to the whole of a aluminum flashlight case
and sold it for 45$ mag lights would sell on e-bay for 4$ and only people who need a CLUB would want one :)

is a flashlight made of one of these going to fit in one pocket ? only if the maker is a master, so it isnt likely to completly replace the pocket light, but think really big, 4 of these in a flashlight would last as long as it does with a zenon bulb incadescent style, that and a good magnifying lens on the front and you could get enough light a block away to see who is breaking into your neighbors car, and mabey even video tape them .

bright You bet, but it is also big and hot.