The other half.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
This goes out mainly to us that have a significant other. Now do most understand your passion for lights and are pretty good at not getting TO mad at your purchases? For the most part mine is not really interested and could care a less. Although this may be due to the fact that I have most lights delivered to my work and have a offshore bank account 😂😂. How do others partners cope with our little habit? But to be honest I'm pretty upfront with her and tell her about my buying of lights. But on a side note is there any way to get rid of ones order history on the Malkoff site? That one might be hard to explain 😄

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Oh crap put this in wrong place. Mods???? Can you help. Sorry probably should be in general

ven

Flashaholic
After all this time she really does not bother much at all. If anything she takes interest in them. She appreciates the different designs along with colour temps. She regularly uses the MD2 and zebra headlamp. She appreciates decent lights , also my lad is a mini me. G shocks and torches , so she just runs with it. I don't buy that many these days, just odd ones that I want here and there. So I don't have torches coming through the post daily. Also some have been delivered to work, but as over the last year or so. I have not even bothered and had them posted to my home address being few and far apart(purchases).

She does also also have a good idea how many I have, as sometimes I can have 30 or 40 on the bed side! Yet still have draws full of them lol.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife is patient and gracious. She tolerates my habit without understanding it. She's also quite frugal and doesn't have any of her own spending addictions. That actually makes it harder. I've tried to buy her expensive things to justify my own purchases, but that strategy is a non-starter. I'm open with her about my spending, but I won't say that I've never rushed home from the office to clear the mail box before she gets home! I'm honest with her, but I still choose the timing. lol.

Tejasandre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I get my mail at my parents house & we keep separate accounts. She sees lights around, but has no idea the money that goes into some. I make some noise anytime I sell something.

Stucully

Newly Enlightened
Im glad i am not alone here !!!. I have been collecting flashlights and searchlights for a long time now and have a reasonable number, small packages arrive and nothing is really mentioned by my good lady. But recently i have ordered some that come in quite big cases that take a bit more explaining !! eg X9R Marauder :sssh: . I do like to try to be home alone when the courier calls !

ioGYD4k.jpg

The Lovely Mrs. Gardiner raises an eyebrow every once in a while. Mind you not every time a new one shows up, but yes, every once in a while. :rolleyes:

My Sweet Baboo, (pet name) however, does refuse to dust them..... ever. All the while, allowing me/them more and more choice real estate in the living room. :thumbsup:
rvnmggg.jpg

I'm fond of sayin - "Baboo, It's good for a man to have a hobby. Especially one that keeps him at home."

It helps that the majority of the collection was purchased, over a nine year period, preowned and/or On Sale, with only a small percentage of them priced over $70. Truth be told, my better 3/4's has never asked me how much a light cost.

Speaking of dusting.....
H391ust.jpg

Recently the Lovely Mrs. Gardiner did raise an eyebrow, (but with good cause) when these six arrived at once. Good thing I didn't buy the small Preon.
Even she has her limits. :p
3qT3J8s.jpg

~ Chance

Frijid

Enlightened
Ever heard the phrase "happy wife, happy life?" I live the even better phrase "no wife, happy life." Being able to come and go out/in the door without having to answer to anyone and no fighting is a goldmine life. But of course that means I've got to dust my light collection myself :laughing:

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recently fell into the same deep end again with flashlights. :whistle: Upon seeing all the lights old (and a few new) on the desk my partner remarked "I like seeing all your treasures and thinking about how much you enjoy em." :thumbsup: Tho now they want to steal a few of them for their own purposes!!!

Recently fell into the same deep end again with flashlights. :whistle: Upon seeing all the lights old (and a few new) on the desk my partner remarked "I like seeing all your treasures and thinking about how much you enjoy em." :thumbsup: Tho now they want to steal a few of them for their own purposes!!!

ninemm, Being proactive is your best defense. About eight years ago I came home to find my first custom light lying on the cement floor while The Lovely Mrs. Gardiner vacuumed the area being illuminated by it. Straight away, I went up stairs and purchased her a nice bright light. Years later I also purchased nice lights for each of our sons.

Now it's everyone has their own, so no one touches dad's. :tsk:

~ Chance :)

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
ninemm, Being proactive is your best defense. About eight years ago I came home to find my first custom light lying on the cement floor while The Lovely Mrs. Gardiner vacuumed the area being illuminated by it. Straight away, I went up stairs and purchased her a nice bright light. Years later I also purchased nice lights for each of our sons.

Now it's everyone has their own, so no one touches dad's. :tsk:

~ Chance :)

Just been struggling with which one to get! He says he wants something so ridiculously bright that it drains the batteries in a minute!!! :eek: Not very practical...and would be a modded light. But I think I'd settle for something compact, 1x18650 or 1xRCR123 that also happened to be brighter than 500lm. :confused:

Cheers!

Just been struggling with which one to get! He says he wants something so ridiculously bright that it drains the batteries in a minute!!! :eek: Not very practical...and would be a modded light. But I think I'd settle for something compact, 1x18650 or 1xRCR123 that also happened to be brighter than 500lm. :confused:

Cheers!

I'm with you. Ridiculously bright soon loses its luster..... unless it has a proper low and medium. One trick ponies tend to accumulate a lot of dust.

~ Chance

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
My SO tolerates my hobby. She refuses to carry a light but borrows mine when she needs one (more of an excuse for me to carry more than one!) She even prefers more neutral/warm lights over cool white.

I tend not to collect lights unless there is -some sort of- a reason for that particular light. My hobby isn't out of hand as I am more picky about what I use, now-days. She did ask, that if I have lights ( and other "toys") sitting around collecting dust without any use, real or imagined, to sell them.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm with you. Ridiculously bright soon loses its luster..... unless it has a proper low and medium. One trick ponies tend to accumulate a lot of dust.

~ Chance

I don't mind a one-trick pony. Something super bright. It's why I EDC extra lights. :D

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Thanks guys. And as a professional, I use black cargo pants with numerous invisible black carry-clips. Gotta blend in with the normies so as not to spook them. (They think I'm one of them. I've got 'em all fooled.) :thumbsup: