PEAK
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best skin light?

Enlightened

Default Best skin light?

Needing expert opinion. I work in the medical field with wounds of different types. the lighting is not always optimal. Need #1 Pocket carry with or without clip. #2 Bright #3Must have excellent color rendition. I like the form factor of the inova x5 but would like a light with more side spill and better color rendition. Battery type not a concern, Run time no biggie either > than 2 hours would be great though. LED or Inc. Alkaline or lithium Thanks doc. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Default Re: Best skin light?

the arc4 is probably your best choice... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Enlightened

Rothrandir thanks for the input. I would not rule out a custom or a mod. either. The order should be #1 Excellent color rendition, #2 Bright #3 Pocket Cary. Have considered having one of the small inova moded, SF E1E, the arc4. Any other suggestions CPF members. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

i'd think any luxeon with a nice white beam would be the best color rendition you'll get from LED's..

instead of getting an E1e modded, you could just get an L4 head..

but eitherway you go, it's gonna be the luxeon lottery.

Edit:
    i think a plain old E1e might be a good way to go tho. i've heard halogen or xenon is better for color rendition than LED's.

Flashaholic*

The Arc4+ has a better white beam for the kind of contrast that you want; but the Surefire L4 has better spill, so you get less of a hot spot. And the L4 is very bright.

My L4 has a slightly yellowish beam, but in trying out the two, I think the L4 works much better. (And I'm an Arc4+ fan.)

Enlightened

This is another question then Halogen, Xenon, or LED. Thanks Josey, and BlindedByTheLight [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

Silver Moderator

Hello DOCSMYNAME,

Welcome to CPF.

I believe Halogen lamps give the best color rendition, but LED's (without a blue, green, or purple tint) are also good.

I would suggest you check this out

I don't know what the run time is, but is seems to be specifically designed for your purpose. It is also not that expensive.

Tom

A -good- incan bulb may have a nice color temperature (and thus give good color rendition), but only when fed a constant voltage. Run it off alkalines and the color rapidly drops off, turning more and more yellow. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Even with 123 lithiums, an incan bulb will usually show a marked color drift by about the 1/2 way point in the battery life.

So, you would need either a regulated incan flashlight (commercial product choice consists of one : Surefire A2) or an LED light. LEDs don't show a color drift as the battery loses power, they just get dimmer but maintain the same color temperature. And a regulated LED will maintain color -and- brightness.

Bright, EDC, excellent color rendition, I'd also say an Arc 4+. You can then choose the appropriate light level for the task at hand. Level-16 is plenty for pupil checks, Level-1 for when you need bright light. Waterproof too, so you can wash it off. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Flashaholic

White LEDs have a terrible CRI, somewhere in the 60's. They are composed of mostly yellow and blue wavelengths, making skin color horrid. Now, if I was in your situation, I'd spring for a Warm White Luxeon. These are 1-watts with a CRI of 90! Excellent color rendition, especially skin tone. Can this be swapped with the existing Luxeon in an Arc 4+ host? I would NOT recommend normal white LEDs for your situation.

Flashaholic*

Wouldn't an incan/LED combo be ideal because incans lack blue? This is a potential Mod Squad undertaking that might be marketed to end users needing good, portable, color rendition. The resultant product's name? CPF - for "Color Perfect Flesh".

Flashaholic

I've used a Streamlight Scorpion, Stylus, BadBoy low dome, Madmax high-dome, and currently an Arc LSH during med-school and so far in residency. The Scorpion was the brightest but harder to get in and out of pocket. The highdome luxeons are very white and have worked great for wound inspections. I have not seen the Arc 4+ but imagine it would be ideal(if cost is not an issue).
    Chris

Wow, residency must have changed if residents can afford those kind of lights!

Most residents I knew used drug company giveaway penlights.

That said, a warm white luxeon or the A2 are the best choices. (I use the A2 when I need that much light, but most of the time I just turn on the overheads!)

Bill

I also am in the med profession and use regular white luxeons all the time for skin. they work very well. much better than any incadesant source I have used.

Flashaholic

I'd say pick up a SureFire G2 -- White, Bright, almost pocket sized. Cheap enough that if it doesn't fit the bill exactly and have to get something else, you will still find some other use for the G2.

Flashaholic

Residency isn't paying that much better. I usually traded up from one light to the next (and my wife remembers my B-days!).

Flashaholic*

LEDs have a smooth, high-contrast, artifact-free beam that is excellent for detail work. They will even show the black stitching on black fabric. They are far superior to incandescent beams IMHO.

LED bulbs won't burn out (as a rule), and regulated models will hold a relatively constant brightness, another bonus.

Flashaholic

I think color rendition is kind of subjective, and having no medical training, I don't know what kind of skin color changes you are looking for. I think the best thing would be to try an LED and incandescent and see what you prefer. At least its a good exuse to buy two good flashlights! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Anyways two that I think might fit your size criteria is a Surefire E1e for an incandescent and for a LED light, a Lux III sandwich module for 2AA flashlights from dat2zip's Sandwich Shoppe. The Lux III's have the whitest color light I've seen so far.

How about a McLux with a 3x123 batt pack? All you need to do is make sure you find one with a nice, bright Led. Altho, they may be hard to find, but I'm sure they turn up in the Custom B/S/T now and again.

Else maybe a Arc LSH-P (or FP) might be bright enough too?

Hmm... I always thought that White Leds would give the best 'true color' rendition...

Pick up an Arc LS-H Premium on sale or in the B/S/T forum. I used one for a while and I thought it worked great!

Another option is to buy an Arc LS standard and have it modded with a hand picked luxeon and a McFlood--great beam and color rendition.

-Jason

Enlightened

Thank you to everyone and keep the info coming! I have an inova X1 I like the size,and the on off, but need more flood and a whiter beam, CMG ultra nice pocket size but to blue, nice flood but not bright enough! Garity pocket led "squeeze light" almost bright enough but not white enough! Pelican M6 LED perfect beam, flood and brightness, but to large. If I could get the brightness and flood of the pelican in the form factor of the X1 would be almost perfect. Have been considering a SFe1e. I do like the led lights better, a good led vs. incan. light for skin and wound assessments. Please keep the info. coming [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img] and thanks again.

Flashaholic

LEDs do indeed have lower color rendering index figures than incandescents. A simple test demonstrates this: use incandescent and LED lights to illuminate something with widely varying colors - like your tie rack. The LED looks "whiter" but the colors are overall flatter. The new Warm White Luxeon may be the best choice, but I'm not aware of any stock lights that use them yet. Less efficient.

Despite the lower CRI, a regular luxeon might be the best choice. Go Arc4+ if adjustable output is required. Otherwise, consider the Arc LSHF-P. The Fraen optic puts out a clean, white, very even "wall" of light. No hunting around to keep the hotspot on the wound. One of the earliest impressions that came to mind when I started using my LSHF-P was how much its output looked like a surgical light.

A caution: some people have commented that lights used in emergency service should be disposable on account of infection risk after being splashed by a HIV-positive patient. I doubt that your hospital's CSS department would be willing to sterilize your personal light. Steam wouldn't work anyway. You might use a Sterrad or ETO.

Enlightened

Dave, Thanks for the Info. I work I in long term care a.k.a. "nursing homes". The majority of suggestions are pointing to the arc 4+. Could a SFE1E be moded with a warm white luxeon and have good output? I do like the adjustability of the arc4+. I really like the form factor of both the SF and the arc4. I do not want a light that is to small. again thanks to everyone for their input thus far. Please keep the suggestions coming. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

I don't see the suggestion of the L1-917 from McGizmo.
    Take a look web page
    It looks like it might be a good candidate for what you need. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif[/img]
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif[/img]

Enlightened

Mutt, thanks WOW! Super light. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif[/img]

Nobodys mentioned the VIP from MrBulk!

Awesome form factor, meets all your criteria, cheaper than an Arc 4.

See the VIP thread in the custom lights forum.

Bill

Enlightened

bwaites, thanks on the VIP list, any other suggestions from users? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

Docsmyname,
    I'm a UK paramedic and often need to examine skin or find access for venepuncture. having used numerous lights incandescent and LED's and have settled on the KL1 on an E2e as the best I've yet to find. I'm supported in this observation by my colleagues who have also commented on how well this works.

Kl1 (and you need a good one) will surprise you!

Doug

Enlightened

Thanks Dougmccoy, Does the quality of the led vary greatly in the KL1?

Stock KL1's tend to the purple/greenie [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif[/img] side of things. I hated mine and changed it out-bad purple.

This might call for a mod-a high dome Q3J emitter is brighter with a nice creamy white color. Drop one of those in to whatever head you get and I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Also, maybe the Pelican M6 LED? But it is so white it tends toward the higher color temps-might not give you the color rendition that you want... but it sure is a nice light!

(Yes, I'm in the med field also)

Good luck!

Rich

Enlightened

Richpalm, I have a Pelican M6 LED and Incan., Infinity ultra, Inova X1 white beam, and a Garity Incan. pen light and LED white beam "squeeze light", and a Dorcy AAA single LED. None of these lights quite fit my needs I am on the list for a VIP and FF2 but at the current rate I will not be able to afford the batteries and will be using MATCHES for my assessments!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast