Best skin light?

DOCSMYNAME

Newly Enlightened
Needing expert opinion. I work in the medical field with wounds of different types. the lighting is not always optimal. Need #1 Pocket carry with or without clip. #2 Bright #3Must have excellent color rendition. I like the form factor of the inova x5 but would like a light with more side spill and better color rendition. Battery type not a concern, Run time no biggie either > than 2 hours would be great though. LED or Inc. Alkaline or lithium Thanks doc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
the arc4 is probably your best choice... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DOCSMYNAME

Newly Enlightened
Rothrandir thanks for the input. I would not rule out a custom or a mod. either. The order should be #1 Excellent color rendition, #2 Bright #3 Pocket Cary. Have considered having one of the small inova moded, SF E1E, the arc4. Any other suggestions CPF members. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'd think any luxeon with a nice white beam would be the best color rendition you'll get from LED's..

instead of getting an E1e modded, you could just get an L4 head..

but eitherway you go, it's gonna be the luxeon lottery.

Edit:
i think a plain old E1e might be a good way to go tho. i've heard halogen or xenon is better for color rendition than LED's.

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Arc4+ has a better white beam for the kind of contrast that you want; but the Surefire L4 has better spill, so you get less of a hot spot. And the L4 is very bright.

My L4 has a slightly yellowish beam, but in trying out the two, I think the L4 works much better. (And I'm an Arc4+ fan.)

DOCSMYNAME

Newly Enlightened
This is another question then Halogen, Xenon, or LED. Thanks Josey, and BlindedByTheLight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello DOCSMYNAME,

Welcome to CPF.

I believe Halogen lamps give the best color rendition, but LED's (without a blue, green, or purple tint) are also good.

I would suggest you check this out

I don't know what the run time is, but is seems to be specifically designed for your purpose. It is also not that expensive.

Tom

MoonRise

Enlightened
A -good- incan bulb may have a nice color temperature (and thus give good color rendition), but only when fed a constant voltage. Run it off alkalines and the color rapidly drops off, turning more and more yellow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Even with 123 lithiums, an incan bulb will usually show a marked color drift by about the 1/2 way point in the battery life.

So, you would need either a regulated incan flashlight (commercial product choice consists of one : Surefire A2) or an LED light. LEDs don't show a color drift as the battery loses power, they just get dimmer but maintain the same color temperature. And a regulated LED will maintain color -and- brightness.

Bright, EDC, excellent color rendition, I'd also say an Arc 4+. You can then choose the appropriate light level for the task at hand. Level-16 is plenty for pupil checks, Level-1 for when you need bright light. Waterproof too, so you can wash it off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

LEDependent

Enlightened
White LEDs have a terrible CRI, somewhere in the 60's. They are composed of mostly yellow and blue wavelengths, making skin color horrid. Now, if I was in your situation, I'd spring for a Warm White Luxeon. These are 1-watts with a CRI of 90! Excellent color rendition, especially skin tone. Can this be swapped with the existing Luxeon in an Arc 4+ host? I would NOT recommend normal white LEDs for your situation.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wouldn't an incan/LED combo be ideal because incans lack blue? This is a potential Mod Squad undertaking that might be marketed to end users needing good, portable, color rendition. The resultant product's name? CPF - for "Color Perfect Flesh".

cmendoza

Enlightened
I've used a Streamlight Scorpion, Stylus, BadBoy low dome, Madmax high-dome, and currently an Arc LSH during med-school and so far in residency. The Scorpion was the brightest but harder to get in and out of pocket. The highdome luxeons are very white and have worked great for wound inspections. I have not seen the Arc 4+ but imagine it would be ideal(if cost is not an issue).
Chris

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, residency must have changed if residents can afford those kind of lights!

Most residents I knew used drug company giveaway penlights.

That said, a warm white luxeon or the A2 are the best choices. (I use the A2 when I need that much light, but most of the time I just turn on the overheads!)

Bill

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also am in the med profession and use regular white luxeons all the time for skin. they work very well. much better than any incadesant source I have used.

JJHitt

Enlightened
I'd say pick up a SureFire G2 -- White, Bright, almost pocket sized. Cheap enough that if it doesn't fit the bill exactly and have to get something else, you will still find some other use for the G2.

cmendoza

Enlightened
Residency isn't paying that much better. I usually traded up from one light to the next (and my wife remembers my B-days!).

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEDs have a smooth, high-contrast, artifact-free beam that is excellent for detail work. They will even show the black stitching on black fabric. They are far superior to incandescent beams IMHO.

LED bulbs won't burn out (as a rule), and regulated models will hold a relatively constant brightness, another bonus.

Alan_L

Newly Enlightened
I think color rendition is kind of subjective, and having no medical training, I don't know what kind of skin color changes you are looking for. I think the best thing would be to try an LED and incandescent and see what you prefer. At least its a good exuse to buy two good flashlights! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyways two that I think might fit your size criteria is a Surefire E1e for an incandescent and for a LED light, a Lux III sandwich module for 2AA flashlights from dat2zip's Sandwich Shoppe. The Lux III's have the whitest color light I've seen so far.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a McLux with a 3x123 batt pack? All you need to do is make sure you find one with a nice, bright Led. Altho, they may be hard to find, but I'm sure they turn up in the Custom B/S/T now and again.

Else maybe a Arc LSH-P (or FP) might be bright enough too?

Hmm... I always thought that White Leds would give the best 'true color' rendition...

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pick up an Arc LS-H Premium on sale or in the B/S/T forum. I used one for a while and I thought it worked great!

Another option is to buy an Arc LS standard and have it modded with a hand picked luxeon and a McFlood--great beam and color rendition.

-Jason

DOCSMYNAME

Newly Enlightened
Thank you to everyone and keep the info coming! I have an inova X1 I like the size,and the on off, but need more flood and a whiter beam, CMG ultra nice pocket size but to blue, nice flood but not bright enough! Garity pocket led "squeeze light" almost bright enough but not white enough! Pelican M6 LED perfect beam, flood and brightness, but to large. If I could get the brightness and flood of the pelican in the form factor of the X1 would be almost perfect. Have been considering a SFe1e. I do like the led lights better, a good led vs. incan. light for skin and wound assessments. Please keep the info. coming /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif and thanks again.