Ultrastinger vs SL-20XP at short range

Aux

Newly Enlightened
Given a choice between an Ultrastinger and a SL-20XP/LED (8 Watt), which light provides the most light in close range (50-100 foot range).

In this application, throw is not as much a concern as is the ability to blast a lot of light through dirty windows, fog, rain, smoke, etc. It will be used as an inspection/search tool, replacing a regular Stinger.

I am aware of other options (TigerLight, Dominator), but I have access to either one of the Streamlights listed.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neither one is going to blast a wall of light. They just don't make a lot of lumens. I have been using the SL-20XP and the pre-focused lamp makes a nice tight spot, but it's not spotlight by any means. The US may make more total light but it lacks the versatility of the LEDs.

Wilkey

Aux

Newly Enlightened
So the US produces a bit more light than the SL-20XP?

I have refined my question by adding that one of the two lights listed above will be replacing a regular Stinger currently used in the task.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Aux said:
So the US produces a bit more light than the SL-20XP?

I have refined my question by adding that one of the two lights listed above will be replacing a regular Stinger currently used in the task.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a general rule narrow beams penetrate fog better than broad beams. The last thing you want in fog is a "wall of light" because that is exactly what will be reflected back at you. The same principle applies to smoke penetration though it would be best to confirm that with some of our firemen and emergency responders.

If you need a very narrow beam the Stinger HP has identical lumens as the Stinger but far greater candlepower because of its highly concentrated beam (same head as the UltraStinger but different bulb). If you want Ultrastinger beam and power in a Stinger HP-size light, Ginseng (Wilkey) has made some downsized 6v battery sticks for the Stinger HP that give it identical beam specs to the US, with a somewhat shorter runtime (about 40 minutes) as the only tradeoff. Here is a thread devoted to this subject:

BRIGHTEST SMALL LIGHT

Unfortunately Ginseng probably won't be making more of these sticks because they are extremely labor-intensive, though you should check with him to confirm this.

Brightnorm

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Use the SL-20XP. Replace the 20XP lamp assembly with the 20X lamp assembly and you will have all of your wishes. This is one proven professional setup. The 20X LA is halogen and withstands abuse more so than the zenon Ultrastinger bulb. Also the quality of the beam with 20X LA is excellant. Run time will be the same as the UltraStinger.

Bill

Aux

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Bullzeyebill said:
Use the SL-20XP. Replace the 20XP lamp assembly with the 20X lamp assembly and you will have all of your wishes. This is one proven professional setup. The 20X LA is halogen and withstands abuse more so than the zenon Ultrastinger bulb. Also the quality of the beam with 20X LA is excellant.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the reasons I am looking at the SL-20XP/LED is for the dual function with the LEDs. This would preclude me from using a different LA.