10 AA Walgreen's Ultra-Alkalines for $2.99

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
10 AA Walgreen\'s Ultra-Alkalines for $2.99

tonight so I got 30 AAs for $9.00. Was that good?

Hope I'm in the right forum.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 10 AA Walgreen\'s Ultra-Alkalines for $2.99

yes, thats good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have always purchased walgreens batteries, when they go on sale they are an excellent bargain. And the quality of them is very good too. In my informal testing they are equally good as any of the name brand. Having worked for walgreens in the distant past I attended a share holders meeting where they talked about their batteries, claiming to us that they were made in the same factory as one of the name brands but under contract to them. Basically they ARE one of the name brands but they didn't go into any more details than that.

That was many years ago now, so I don't know who makes them anymore. But the ones I bought recently don't appear any less useful than the ones I purchased 5 years ago.

AlCanada1

Newly Enlightened

I have worked in the battery industry for many years, and can attest the Walgreen Alkalines are excellent quality, manufactured by a very well known manufacturer.You cannot go wrong on quality with these products or any other "value brands" such as DORCY,SONY,Fuji etc.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

Icebreak, that's an outstanding price. There's a Walgreens a couple of blocks from my place, so all of my alkalines are Walgreens brand.

The stock doesn't stay on the shelf long, either. So they're usually fresh.

Britt

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast

I now primarily use Walgreen's brand, too. I stock up whenever they're on sale. Watch for them - some sales are good, while others are not. The last ones that I got were the 10 packs @ 2 for $5. I must have 80-100 each of AA and AAA. I put the freshest ones on the bottom to rotate my own stock.

cy

Flashaholic

I've had bad luck with Walgreen's AAA purchased in a large blister pack. Several of them leaked ruining the device they were in.

Needless to say I will not use Walgreen brand batteries. This occured aprox. 3-4 years ago. From other feedback it sounds like qualilty has improved.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast

FYI, even though Walgreens doesn't officially disclose who makes their batteries, they DO stand behind them just like the majors. If they damage a device, you can send it to them and they will repair, replace or reimburse you for the damaged item.

Forgot to mention in my first post - I found AAs and AAAs at Northern Tool - 24 for $3.99. They are labeled "Northern Industrial" and I'm pretty sure that they are Dorcys.

Threepio

Newly Enlightened

I've had good luck with the alkaline AAs from IKEA, they're made by Varta, and are $1.95 for a box of 10. I went in on Sunday to restock, and ended up buying a LED powered table lamp, too. --Bob

jbroker83

Enlightened

I've found the Value brands of batteries to be pretty good. I currently use mostly Dorcy, as a bulk pack of those was presented to me for a gift. I think they are pretty decent.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast

Anybody have experience with Kodak Max AA Alks? I just bought two boxes of 24 @ 12.5 cents each. That's what Panasonic AAs used to sell for with a rebate.

That's $3.00/box = 12.5 cents per cell. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

I had a couple bunches of Sony AA alkalines from Zbattery that I used with mixed results. Out of maybe 200, about 10-15 leaked. Given that I've only EVER had a few leaks with all other brands combined, this didn't sit well with me.

Lately I've been buying WalMart's "EverActive" AA alkalines on cards of 20 (or was that 24?). The price worked out to something like 35 cents each if I recall. Not as good as you guys are doing, but still not bad. So far no leaks.

kubolaw

Enlightened

I believe that there are two types of Walgreens batteries, the "Heavy Duty" version and the "Ultra Alkaline". I have no information on the "Heavy Duty" cells, but they do seem to be of lesser quality, judging from price and construction. The "Ultra Alkalines" that are referenced in the title of this thread are supposed to be quite good - IIRC Consumer Reports found them to be equivalent to Duracells and other name brand batteries. I've been using them for a while with no problems.

John

[ QUOTE ]
cy said:
I've had bad luck with Walgreen's AAA purchased in a large blister pack. Several of them leaked ruining the device they were in.

Needless to say I will not use Walgreen brand batteries. This occured aprox. 3-4 years ago. From other feedback it sounds like qualilty has improved.

[/ QUOTE ]