LS mated with Brinkman long life

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
It does not look to hard...for someone with good skills (not me). The long life reflector might work well...anyone have an LS without the optics and a Brinkman? Willingness to sacrifice the Brinkman would be desirable.

Just a thought...don`t get mad.

Bad
cool.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

What a great idea! It looks to me like the LS with optics might fit, too.

Hmmm, resistor the Brinkman step-up circuit to get it in the right range ... or maybe stick the LM2621 in ...

Sadly, my skill level isn't up to it, either, but I'd like to encourage someone to tackle this project!

Mark

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey now, that"s an idea ... May be a step or two above my abilities, but I may give it a try......

Let me consider it a while.

Now that I consider it ... I wonder if the brinkman circuit can handle the LS current- the ~ 350mA for the LS is going to demand a heck of a lot more power capability than the 20 mA that the single LED in the Brinkman uses..

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I doubt the step-up could run it at anywhere near it`s max...but it might run brighter than straight off 3 volts...and it would be of intrest to see how the reflector works with a naked LS...lots of room to play with if one should want to try a differant step-up...but either way might be fine to run it straight, at 3 volts.

Bad
cool.gif

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
FORGET IT!!!!

It was a nice idea- I thought it might work- for a while- I pulled the Brinkman apart and soldered in a LS- It pulled about 290mA with reasonable light output for about 20 seconds, but the transistors in the circuit overheated and light output fell very rapidly. Probably would have burned out the circuit in under a minute if I had left it.

If the circuit were powerful enough, it would make an OK conversion- with a little trimming of the LS "heatsink" it would fit inside the Brinkman case OK.

But ALAS, it is not to be....

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Were you able to remove the reflector from the Brinkman and try it in the LS? Or does it seperate?

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by badbeam:
Were you able to remove the reflector from the Brinkman and try it in the LS? Or does it seperate?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It separates (with a little "surgery").

However, (if I am infering your intent correctly) I can see absolutely no benefit in putting a Brinkman reflector on the LS, even if it were something that could be easily done. Stick with the LS optics is my recommendation. I can see no way to improve on that in any kind of "practical" package.

PsycoBob[Q2]

Enlightened
Soon as I finish downloading Gadget's instructions (damnd slow connection) I'll be disassembling my LongLife- I already have a LS/o + ZXSC-300 circuit from another project. Plug it in, and off I go.....

I'll try to remember to post the results.