does anyone want some turquiose led's aka arc-aaa turquiose!

napalm-2002

Enlightened
does anyone want some turquiose led\'s aka arc-aaa turquiose!

hello all flashaholics.
i was thinking of ordering some turquiose leds from nichia.part#nspg510s.

the same led thats in the arc-aaa.does anyone have any interest in buying a few.i will seee if i can buy in quantity and save all of us money.

let me know what u think.
tongue.gif

and feel free to email me
tongue.gif

napalm-2002

Enlightened
Re: does anyone want some turquiose led\'s aka arc-aaa turquiose!

everyone loves the arc-aaa as do i,but no one wants any of the turq leds.i some people replied maybe i could buy in bulk and make everone happy.

or better yet can someone direct me to someone who can sell me some!

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry you`re feeling left out- guess the new Luxeons have stolen all your limelight.

But, if the price was right (ie not $6 each or something), I`d take a few- maybe 10-12. Sorry it`s not much but a short while ago I did buy a load of the 15 degree ones (á la Infinity) off the guy on Ebay who also sells those DB18s, they are nice- a stunning "perfect" turquoise, not greeny at all, but they are not as bright as the wider angle one and the beam is a bit narrow for some floodlighting applications. Also the greener colour the wide ones are generally are found in, is better for garden usage which is what I`d want them for- to replace those power hungry 21 watt bulbs in my el-cheapo decorative garden lights. They`re fairly pathetic, poor lenses and dark coloured filters block much of the light. Car tail light bulbs, that`s all they use but car tail light brightness they are not. A single Luxeon overpowers them easilly, even shone from up here out the window. Strategically placed turquoise Nichias would be equally as good and consume a fraction of the power- as there would be no wasted light due to filters and badly designed reflectors.

I did suggest that maybe mr Gransee might like to supply them to us like with the Luxeons- he said he didn`t really want to go down that route (supplying LEDs as well) but since those wide ones are impossible to find anywhere without going to Nichia and having to buy a thousand to get a half decent price, it would perhaps be a good idea to just supply that one? How about it? Demand wouldn`t be huge, and you could sell`em in packs of 10 to make it more worthwhile?

Just a thought....

confused.gif
tongue.gif

Gandalf

Enlightened

I'm interested in some turquoise LED's. Ever since I found out how much brighter the turquoise ones are compared to the white ones, I've wanted to convert my Eternalight to turquoise, or perhaps just put 2 turquoise LED's in it. I bought 2 Arc AAA's, one white and one turquoise. I like the white one indoors, but the turquoise one is the one I like to carry with me, when I'm out at night.
I even put a post on the forum, asking for someone to do the conversion for me, with some compensation, but I got no takers.
I'm not into electronics, or fine soldering, but I guess if I want a turquoise Eternalight, I'll have to do it myself.
One thing that's important is how long the leads on the LED's are. In the Eternalight, the LED's are soldered directly into a small ciruit board, and the leads make a right angle bend. That means the leads on the LED's have to be about 2 cm, or around an inch, long. I'm assuming they come with fairly long leads, to allow for this type of thing, but I'd need to know for sure.

Also: are the leads made out of aluminum? If they are, how do you solder them? I seem to remember that solder doesn't stick to aluminum.

Another question, while I'm thinking about it: do I need to protect the (rest of) the circuit board from what will likely be fairly hot soldering, since I'm a pretty rank ameture when it comes to this? If so, how is this done?

I'm sure that this project is a 30 minute job for someone who's good at this sort of thing, but I'd appreciate any advice you might have for me. I've never soldered on a circuit board, before.

But I'm generally pretty good with small mechanical devices, car repair, etc, so I'm reasonably sure I can manage this, with some advice, of course.

Assuming I'll ruin 1 or 2 LED's, I'd want about 6 of them, depending on cost, of course. Let me know.
shocked.gif
grin.gif
cool.gif

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris M.:
Sorry you`re feeling left out- guess the new Luxeons have stolen all your limelight.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He ain't talking about lime lights- he want's turquoise lights...
smile.gif
smile.gif

Actually, since I fried my cyan LS module, I'd be interested in a dozen or so turquoise of at least 5cd if they can be found for under two bucks each.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gandalf:
Also: are the leads made out of aluminum? If they are, how do you solder them? I seem to remember that solder doesn't stick to aluminum. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

All the ones I have seen are "silver?" plated copper... But Craig would probably be able to give a much more definitive answer on this...

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thought they were tinned steel. Maybe plated wiht something nice up inside the die cup? Photon gets their Nichia LED leads gold plated.
Some old red and green diffused ones I once made into a simple xmas light string and wrapped round a tree trunk for a month showed signs of rusting where they met the resin body. Only steel/iron rusts like that. But- maybe the newer types use something a bit more refined?

Either way, worry not for they solder together really nicely, so long as they`re clean and not showing signs of tarnishing or adhesive residue from the bandolier they came off.

tongue.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Silviron:
All the ones I have seen are "silver?" plated copper... But Craig would probably be able to give a much more definitive answer on this...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know the exact composition, but the leads on most LEDs appear to be moderately magnetic - likely a nickel-iron alloy with a tin electroplate.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmm- interesting-

I just carved 2/3 of the way through the lead on a nichia, and it is copper all the way through,(under the plating) yet it IS magnetic. Must be some sort of nickel plating, although it is much softer than nickel. I don't know what to think now...

I wonder if any of the manufacturers websites would say, or if we could email and ask...

napalm-2002

Enlightened

hey gransee i know you dont want to sell leds but do you think that maybe you could sell us a few or at least lets say 100 to one of us???
maybe? pretty please?

ok im done begging now
smile.gif

danno

Newly Enlightened

If you do a group buy, I'll take ten if they're less than $2.50 apiece.
tongue.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Do you have any idea of what the prices will run?

Also, Gandalf... if you need a conversion done, talk to Gadget (er, sorry, "Go Go Gadget Flashlight"). He's pretty good about stuff like that. You can see some of his experimenting and handywork elsewhere in the forums.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast

If there was enough interest, we might sell the Nichias in 10 packs. Not too crazy about getting into this (flashlights are first).

Peter Gransee

Peter,
What about a special "one time buy" and let someone else distribute them in small quantities?
Easier on you... one person, one package, one payment.
wink.gif

If one person was to take everyones "orders", would you be more willing to provide a bulk order?

Marcus, thanks for the "advertisement". Hehe
wink.gif

Gandalf, if you are really worried about "screwing up", I'd be glad to help, but you'd have to have the LEDs. I have no way of getting them either.
wink.gif
If you decide to try the soldering yourself, practice on something else first. There's a whole CPF topic about soldering, with some excellent pointers.

Good soldering info on CPF

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stingmon:
I don't know the exact composition, but the leads on most LEDs appear to be moderately magnetic - likely a nickel-iron alloy with a tin electroplate.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Almost all LED manufacturers shifted to iron leads due to cost reasons. Only Nichia blue, green, white ones are still copper (my last ones are from last Dezember). Copper is highly preferable to act as a heat sink. I remember buying non-magnetic LEDs some 20 (or more) years ago. I just took a magnet to the electronics shop. About one third of the tested LEDs were non-magnetic IIRC, of course amber ones at this time.

napalm-2002

Enlightened

hey guys post how many u all want so that we can see if gransee will sell a bulk order to one of us maybe.

gransee if you dont want to do this we will all understand.we realize that you want to make and sell flashlights not leds so that someone can build ther own.
smile.gif

so maybe a one time buy and we all promise to buy your flashlights!!!
wink.gif

Mike

Newly Enlightened

How many I want would vary depending on the price, but I've always wanted some. I can't justify the $6 each that the photon company would charge.

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by napalm-2002:
gransee can u help us out on a one time buy and a price.thanks!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you all together need at least 100 LEDs it would be good to just buy them at Nichia directly.
Please do not make Peter Gransee additional work .-) (in the sake of the ArcLS!)