LS Color Comparison

Ron

Newly Enlightened
I have made several different lights with different color LS modules. They are all running at the same voltage. To my eyes and my digital camera the blue and cyan are the 'brightest'.

I would comfortably use any of them to get around in the dark.

Disclaimer; I am officially red/green color blind. My eyes are less sensitive to red than the 'normal' person.

All pictures were taken with the lights about 3-4 feet from a white paper background.

Here is a link to the comparison.
http://ron.ellenbecker.net/led-lights/Blue%20White%20Cyan%20Amber%20LS%20Beams.jpg

I also have comparisons between a lightwave 4000, a LS and a non-led light.
http://ron.ellenbecker.net/led-lights/Lightwave%20LS%20Amber%20Normal.jpg
http://ron.ellenbecker.net/led-lights/Lightwave%20LS%20cyan%20Normal.jpg

Ron

danno

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for posting the comparison. I've been toying with the idea of trying different colors of the LS units and the pictures you posted make me believe I need one of each.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is an older post but still very good information. Chris Adams asked me via email why the Cyan rating for the luxeon star (on their data sheet, 30 lumens vs 20 lumens) is brighter than the amber yet I say the Arc-LS in the amber color may be brighter.

Just a note, Ron used the same voltage for each color. Of course, the current and therefore the wattage to each color is quite different as result. Since a power pack and controller circuit have a maximum wattage they can provide, which color is brighter will be determined largely by which is the most efficient.

Currently, the red and amber are the most efficient of the colors and therefore are more likely to be brighter with a underdriving power setup (for the Arc-LS that would be a single AA or 123). But in overdriven mode (2AA lithiums in the Arc-LS), the cyan may be brighter.

I say "may" since I would really like to see all the Arc-LS colors measured side by side with each power option. This will have to wait for the production units of course.

Hopefully this doesn't confuse anyone further. For most people, white is the definately the color to go with (it is what I use).

Peter Gransee

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it`s of any use, a while back I took beam profile shots and Peak Beam Candela readings for the 6 current colours of Luxeon Star LED. The images were taken with optimum exposure for each, to best show the beam shape and colour, avoiding "blooming" (when it just all flares out as a white mess)- so they are NOT a direct side by side brightness comparison. I`ll do that if anyone want`s to see it though, just ask.
I colour-corrected the pictures to the best of my ability, but remember of course that everyone sees things slightly differently and everyone`s monitors will show colours slightly differently too (mines a 17" NEC MultiSync 5FGp if that means anything to anyone? Not sure what make and model my eyes are though
grin.gif
). Anyway I`m fairly sure I posted them on this board after I`d taken them but couldn`t find the topic when I searched a moment ago, so here they are again. These are all "Batwing" or "Low Dome" Star/O models and the voltage/current each one recieved is noted in each shot as well as the Candela rating.

In alphabetical order....

<center>
lsbeamamber.jpg
lsbeamblue.jpg

lsbeamcyan.jpg
lsbeamgreen.jpg

lsbeamred.jpg
lsbeamwhite.jpg
</center>

Since I don`t yet know how the LEDs will be driven in the Arc-LS (ie, what power with each battery pack), please don`t take these results as how the Arc LS will perform, they only show how my particular samples of Luxeon Star could perform, though colour and beam profiles should be reasonably similar.

And before anyone asks, no I don`t have an Intergrating Sphere so I can`t take Lumen readings, sorry.

shocked.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris M.:
I colour-corrected the pictures to the best of my ability, but remember of course that everyone sees things slightly differently and everyone`s monitors will show colours slightly differently too (mines a 17" NEC MultiSync 5FGp if that means anything to anyone<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They all look reasonably accurate on my system, except the Cyan which appears somewhat bluer and more saturated in real-life.

I'm using a 17" Viewsonic-7 that was "color corrected" using the website somebody posted months ago for that purpose.
Sorry, I have no idea of what that link is after all this time.
frown.gif

Cyan (blue-green) from LEDs tends to photograph extremely poorly anyway, so even a massive adjustment might not correct the color that well. Not your fault.
I doubt I could do that one any better.