18650 Primary Cell ? - Is there such a thing ?

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi.
This might sound like a dumb question.

I am familiar with the 18650 Li cells for use in recharge applications (often as battery packs) and the cost benefits of using recharge cells.

Does anyone sell a commercially available, standard product, primary cell (non recharge), 18650 size cell that a consumer can buy directly ? I am partial to North American or European suppliers as they are more tightly safety regulated in this area, but I will consider all.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
You want a cell this size but primary? Does chemistry matter? If not, it's pretty close to a 4/3-fat A (18 x 67mm). That's pretty uncommon for a primary. Try checking the Powerstream website. They might have something but it'll most likely be made in China.

Wilkey

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I follow the battery industry pretty closely. I have not seen one. Something that is pretty close though is the cell used in the 4.5V Duracel MN1203 flat battery. If you open one of these up, there are 3 alkaline cells that are close to the dimensions of a 18650. I don't have one handy to measure.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info. I have seen some posts on the forum re: 18650 based lights, but it seems like this might be limiting. The power seems to be excellent, but cell availability and chargers might put off some people, and I kind of like the ability to use primary cells I can buy in a store as a backup. (like 123).

How do you thing people would take to a light that allowed use of 18650 or an adapter to use 123 ?

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
The clostest I know is the SAFT G36, which is something like a 17600 cell (in LI-SO2). The cells from a MN1203 battery are are too thick, they are more than 20mm. I just know that a replacement made out of three 18650 cells (NiMH) was much smaller.
But is there actually a need for it? A state of the art flashlight should be able to accept a wide range of input voltage (remember, a LiIon cell will give in between 4.1V and 3.0V for a useful life), so the easiest was is to replace the 18650 cell with two CR123A cells. These are relatively easy available. No adapter needed.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 18650 is approx 18.2mm dia, but the 123's are "not larger than 17mm" in the spec. I measured 4 brands, and none were larger than 16.5mm. If I work with a light bored out for 18.2mm + a little for clearance, and then stick in a 16.5 mm 123 (in series) the 123 batteries might rattle . (maybe not, but it is a question.)

It seems like this would not be quite as good, so maybe someone knows of a thin sleeve adapter ?

Thanks HarryN

I am not too worried about the voltage range.

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
HarryN said:

It seems like this would not be quite as good, so maybe someone knows of a thin sleeve adapter ?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm following correctly, how about a strip cut from a plastic soft drink bottle or milk jug? Roll it up and slide it in. Change the length to fine tune the fit.

Doug Owen

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
HarryN said:

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm following correctly, how about a strip cut from a plastic soft drink bottle or milk jug? Roll it up and slide it in. Change the length to fine tune the fit.

Doug Owen

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi - Thanks for the idea. I was thinking of something a little more professional - like maybe an off the shelf tube. I will do some hunting on the off the shelf tube specs.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi - Thanks for the idea. I was thinking of something a little more professional - like maybe an off the shelf tube. I will do some hunting on the off the shelf tube specs.