ArmyTek        

Thread: *Should I buy a Photon 3?*

Default *Should I buy a Photon 3?*

I have a Photon 2. I am considering the Photon 3 because it's easier to change batteries.

I will use the high mode most of the time and don't care for the strobe or low beam.

I have questions about the Photon 3: How do you turn on the constant "on" high beam where you don't have to keep your thumb on the button to keep the light on? Do you have to cycle through the settings to get to the constant "on" high beam?

Does it take too long to cycle through the modes?

Default Re: *Should I buy a Photon 3?*

The Photon 3 has a front momentary button, that is a momentary full brightness button. The back button or rear button is push once for on, again for off. While you are turning the light on if you hold the button it will scroll through (4 seconds each) the full, med, dim, fast strobe, slow strobe, and auto off. Once you have it where you want it let the button go and it stays there. I have mine set for med brightness, then if I need full brightness I push the front button. Again once it is set where you want it the back button just acts as an on/off button.

I think the light has gotton better with a less stiff switch, but the long scroll time between modes is still a bit annoying. But if you don't change modes much it isn't a problem.

At one time, I threatened to violently throw the light into a toliet and then force it down the hole with the toliet bole brush, but I retracted my "thoughts" after a few days had gone by.

Now I wonder if maybe I should have LEFT those comments in my original review. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
    I've heard many more "bad" comments about the P3 than I've heard good.

So, what will it be?
    You have 6 choises:

1: Toliet bowl.
    2: Garbage can.
    3: Keychain, pocket, or purse (for you gay guys out there).
    4: Kitchen disposal.
    5: Plastic bag, with your dog's poopie you scooped earlier today.
    6: Under the wheels of your "S.U.V."
    or other high-density vehicle.

Flashaholic*

I liked the asthetics (sp?) much better then the photon 2 as I'm not a jeweler which is what you practically had to be to change the batteries. However I was deeply disappointed the light output wasn't regulated. In my informal light tests between the photon II and III, they both dimmed at the same rate but I think the III actually dimmed a shade faster, perhaps due to the current the IC uses.

I agree with Brock. Even though the 4 second delay is a pain in the butt, just having the option of a dimmer is worth it. I also usually keep mine in the medium position and use the instant on high position only when needed. It appears that for most of the keychain-based lighting needs that I have, the medium setting does the trick. I am now waiting for the Photon 4 model with the LS high dome LED. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

I can understand how the long cycle time would be maddening to a gadget geek. But I've decided to buy a photon 3. Why? Because really, I only need two modes: momentary full-power, and constant-on full power. I can get that easily with the photon 3, plus it's waterproof, plus the batteries are easier to change, plus I have all those extra modes if for some bizarre reason I decide to use them (although I realize doing so might piss me off).

If you're only using one of the constant-on features, and not a gadget geek just cycling through the options, the photon 3 sounds like a great option.

Joe
    [note: I myself am a gadget geek, so it's not an insult, in fact it's a badge of honor!]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joe Talmadge:
    I can understand how the long cycle time would be maddening to a gadget geek. But I've decided to buy a photon 3. Why? Because really, I only need two modes: momentary full-power, and constant-on full power<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's actually a good setup for a Photon 3.
    Leave it set to maximum, so you have the option of both steady-on and momentary-on.

A lot of people do buy them for the extra modes though, and some of those people may end up becoming frustrated with the thing because of the longer than necessary cycle times and two totally different modes which look similar while cycling.