Opinions on SOG Flash

dw_1984

Newly Enlightened
I'm in the market for a compact folder for use in a military enviroment...weekend warrior. I originally wanted to get the Big Black mother of all knives (aka Ka-bar) but I realized that even the compact version is kinda impractical for me.

So I'm looking at either a Flash I or II (not sure which size is better suited for me). I would prefer the black titanium nitride serrated blade. The only problem is that I've heard that the Zytel (plastic) handles are somewhat fragile and flexible. If so, then I'd prolly hafta shell out the extra money for the AL handle.

So my question is how durable is the Zytel handle, and what blade size would be more appropriate (2.5", 3.5").

Thanks in advance,
Daniel

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think you'd go wrong with any SOG product.

You might check the CRKT M16 line. They're in the same price range, very robust and have a unique and effective opening system in addition to the thumb studs.

There's lots of really good knives in your price range but if you can spend a little more, the Emerson line (not the recent imported ones) are about as tough as a production knife can be.

dw_1984

Newly Enlightened
Blinded
I remember reading on a few posts somewhere (don't recall what board) that in some cases the Zytel handle become loose. But that was just one in many opinions...just wanted to make sure. I think I might just save the extra $$$ and go w/ the Zytel handle.

Bigiron
I went through the CRKT M16 line and althought they are cheaper for some models...they don't look as nice as the Flash. But thanks for the suggestion. I'll probably get some more knives in the future. I don't think I'd like to spend TOO much on a knife cuz I'll probably beat the crap outa them and there's a chance I'll loose it (oh course I'll remember to tie everything to myself w/ paracord).

Now it's just a question of the Flash I (2.5") or II (3.5"). I was thinking that since my Swiss Army Knife is already has the 2.5" blade, maybe I should get the larger one. But the cheapest in Canada I can find them have a 25$CAD difference...is it worth is for just an inch?

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a Flash I just a couple of weeks ago and I think it's great. It's much smaller than my Delica or my new Calypso Jr, but that's what I wanted for EDC. Mine seems plenty durable, but in fairness, it really hasn't been used. I got a limited edition rainbow and I think that it's too nice to use for EDC. I need to decide either to use it or sell it and get a plain one. I chose a plain edge because I knew that it would be used alot for opening envelopes and packages.

What I just discovered is that the Flash I blade cutting length is only 1/8 to 1/4 inch shorter than the Delica and Calypso Jr. It looks SO much smaller, but the blade length is nearly the same. The blade height is over a third less and the handle is about 3/4 inch less in length. The profile is so much smaller that it looks dwarfed by the other two, but the cutting edge is nearly the same.

I'm impressed enough with my Flash I that I want a II.

If I were going camping or in an environment where I knew that it was likely that I'd need a knife, I'd probably want something larger, or at least a larger profile than the Flash I.

Another CPFer who is quite knowledgeable about knives and has a large collection, just got a Flash I for EDC after trying one in a passaround. That made me feel pretty good about my choice. I wouldn't worry about the handles. If it breaks, SOG will make it good.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
I've got a Flash I with the graphite anoed AL handle and I love it. Just like kitelights, I'm so happy with it that I wan't a Flash II as well. I can't comment on the Zytel handle but I was thinking on getting the Flash II with the Zytel handle. I hope what you heard is not true. I guarantee you will like the quality of the Flash (aside from the Zytel handle if what you heard is true).

TOB9595

Enlightened
I was mightily impressed with the Flash 1. Tiny little sucker.
BUT with my beefy mitts and the assist opening with just a tiny push on the thumbstud it's a great knife.

I think there's vast differences tween the flash 1 and 2, tho I've never handle a 2. The larger size of the 2 makes it a very effective user for a variety of tough tasks that you wouldn't put the 1.
EDC use, as I see it, is usually for letter opening, string, plastic wrap, cardboard box from the post or man in brown, cheese spreading, sandwich slicing, etc.
The Flash 1 has done all of my edc very well and in style.
The flash 2 is suited for a part serrated edge but I wouldn't want a combo edge on my flash 1 as the blade isn't long enough for ce. Least for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I recently had a Kabar Dozier or a Dozier Kabar in hand and it was a mightily impressive folder. no assist but a nice beefy blade profile and went through my testing as edc and heavy carpet and cardboard cutting with ease. ~$20 bucks also.

I don't recall in the blade, usn, or knife forums chat aboot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif the handle problem. This is a concern cause if it fails during use you can get cut pretty bad.

I'm looking toward seeing the rainbow flash's. Pics look pretty cool.

(did you get the aboot? I'm cracking up on that hahahaha)
Do you guys say about up there or is that Minnesota?
Regards
Tom

dg

Newly Enlightened
I have the Flash I zytel and its great.

The only problem I can see you having is if you have big hands then it may be a bit ackward to hold and activate the assisted opener. In this case a Flash II may be better.

I think my hands are 'normal' and the Flash I is easy to open once you're used to it though

Tony2001

Newly Enlightened
Get the SOG Flash II Camo with blackened blade, I had one it was great, cheap, sharp as all hell, quick to open and takes all the abuse you can give it. Gave it to a friend of mine in law enforcement, he beats the hell out of it, loves it as well.

dw_1984

Newly Enlightened
Well then...from all of your comments, I guess the Zytel handle is alright.
I'll probably end up getting the Flash II w/ the black serrated blade and normal Zytel handle (sorry Tony, I just prefer the clean look of the black handle). Flash I is kinda redundant since the blade on that is the same on the Swiss Army Knife I have.
Now I hafta find a Canadian retailer to get it from...Knifezone.ca is the only one I've found so far...just wanna see if I can get a better deal...here's a long shot but does anyone know a good place for knives up north?

RichardMT

Newly Enlightened
My wife has a Flash II that she uses at work. So far she is very happy with it. We have both used zytel knives (Spyderco, Gerber and Sog) over the years. Zytel aint pretty, thats for sure, but its durability is first rate. Mine have been dropped, smacked on stuff and everything else, zero problems.

Once when I worked in a knife store, our district manager wanted some displays set up differently. We had one day to do it, and no proper tools to do it with. It involved cutting some wood, and the only thing around were in-stock SAKs with saws which the moron (DM) would not let us write one off as a store use tool. Out comes my Endura and using another scrap piece of wood, all I could do was beat the knie through the wood (she was mad that it wasnt perfectly straight, she was the definition of an idiot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ). A few times I missed the spine of the blade and got the back of the handle a few times, and my thumb once. Anyways, the point it that none of this had any ill effects on this zytel handled knife and I used it for years after that.

TOB9595

Enlightened
RichardMT I loved the story of the spydie to the rescue.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Tom

ygbsm

Enlightened
I have a Flash I and Flash II in both Zytel and anod. AL. I've never had any problems with the Zytel and it makes the knives extremely light -- so light that they may feel a bit like "cheap" plastic (when youre showing your friends how "cool" they are). The anod. is very nice, and feels like it opens a bit more positively than the Zytel, but even with the agressive checkering, feels a bit slick in the hand.
With respect to blade size, the Flash I is tiny, while the II is pretty large. With the Zytel handle, the F I is so tiny that it almost feels like a toy. As a sidenote, I have recently heard of someone having a Flash II confiscated by the police in NYC.
If you really want an impressive assisted opener (I've onwed the Kershaw Scallion, Leek, Whirlwind, Avalanche, Ricochet and Random Tasks and the SOGs), the best I've ever had and one of my favorite knives of all is the Camillus Dominator (of recent vintage -- the early ones apparenly had some problems). It is the most positive opener and has the most solid lock with the least "play" of any folder I own (and that includes comparing my Strider AR). The only improvement that I'd like for it -- and I know this is heresey for some) is to have a partially serrated blade.It's a bit pricey, but next month the Camillus Heat is coming out based on the Dominator but with polymer scales (instead of the solid Ti) and a less fancy blade steel (instead of the S30V) but with a significantly lower price (compatible with some of the Flashes) and with the option of a combo edge. I'll be getting one (and not because I'm a bladeaholic, no ....) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif