Amateur Radio (Ham) License Renewal

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
Wow! Ten years as KB0OGW. I just got a notice from Amateur Radio Service wanting to renew my license, for a $6 fee. The letter stated that FCC didn't charge for renewal.
I googled and found FCC's Universal Licensing System but it is down right now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif . It looks like I can renew on line (for free?).
Is there a benefit to using a different method to renew?
TIA

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
W,
Greetings from Iraq.

That system is up and down every so often, don't panic. You get a years grace in renewals anyhow.

With most computer systems the government buys, remember it's made by the lowest bidder.

Check with your local radio club, they usually have the most recent information.

Hope all is well
Jack Crow in Iraq

whiskypapa3

Enlightened
Wait til end of next month. I think you can renew only after ninety days before expiration. It's free if you go to FCC direct, the charge is only if you use one of the examiner's sites (you should start getting spam from them any day now)..

Fifty-four years as W2???, K1HST, W0ZPL(??), W4RUD AND W3HSO (30yrs)...

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
When I renewed mine, the process was not user friendly! Hopefully by now they have made the process easier.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
[ QUOTE ]
Roy said:
When I renewed mine, the process was not user friendly! Hopefully by now they have made the process easier.

[/ QUOTE ]
It is drawn out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif And I've only done the get ready to renew part. But I did look around the FCC site and here is the info----
[ QUOTE ]
You may receive a license expiration notification from an entity, but you are not required to use its services. File for renewal 30-60 days, but no more than 90 days, before your license expiration date. 47 CFR Section 97.21, provides that when your application for renewal has been received by the FCC on or before the license expiration date, your operating authority is continued until the final disposition of your application. If your license expires, you may apply for renewal of the license for another term during a two-year filing grace period.

[/ QUOTE ]
While I was updating my info I did correct my address.
Now I have to go back and do KB0PGP, KB0PTL and 1 other I can't recall. Fun..Fun

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I renewed mine a couple years ago and no it is not user friendly. I wanted to renew as soon as I got the notice and found out as others have that I had to wait to within 90 days of the expiration.

Last year my boss handed me a renewal letter for our companies radio lic (Safety/Security) from one of those "for a fee" companies. I checked into the FCC websit again and told the boss, just pay the $99 they were charging and let them do everything.

GregR
KC6ZWO