Spring is about to ''spring''

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Spring is about to \'\'spring\'\'

At 10:49pm PST tonight, spring officially starts.
It's good to see temperatures warm up a bit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, but this also means there's less "night time" in which to shoot our flashlights around. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif Less, as compared with Christmas, that is. There's still plenty of dark to go 'round, but not as much as there was. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

A couple of years ago today in downtown Seattle, we had freezing temperatures and snow. This time around, it was partly cloudy and in the mid 50s or thereabouts.

My radiometer (glass bulb with two vanes inside) is spinning for the first time since I think last September.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Re: Spring is about to \'\'spring\'\'

since i dont have heat im very excited about this i love spring

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm ready for spring. For me, that means the drive-in theaters are about to open for the season. YAY!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

[ QUOTE ]
Brock said:
Hey when do we change the clocks again?

[/ QUOTE ]
Sunday, 04-04-04, at 2:00am your time.
I just looked it up less than an hour ago, so I know this to be correct. "Spring ahead" (set clocks ahead) one hour.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
The_LED_Museum said:
My radiometer (glass bulb with two vanes inside) is spinning for the first time since I think last September.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now there's a good sign! I can't wait for spring.
The longer days definitely lift my spirits. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Spring means baseball to me. I love to watch baseball in the background while doing other things at night. Of course I love to see my Red Sox but if they are not on then I'll watch whatever is on ESPN or other channels. Every night of the week there is some baseball games going on. I find it much more comforting then the jarring emotions involved in watching football.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

They moved the Seattle Mariners to a TV channel I don't get, and the radio broadcasts to a station I don't pick up.
But I do have a ticket to the home opener on the afternoon of 04-06, so I guess I won't be completely screwed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I believe opening day is "Magnetic Schedule Day", so I'll know exactly when the Mariners are on KCPQ-13 (the "Fox Saturday Game of the Week") without having to look up the schedule on the web, and watch them on TV during those times.

As of this writing, spring is less than 4 hours away for us west coast residents. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OZ

Newly Enlightened

Why don't you all move to Hawaii and get it over with. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yesterday, the last day of winter it snowed very lightly @ a windy 30 degrees. Today, the first of spring it's 53 degrees with wind advisories for up to 40 mph. Tonight it's supposed to drop into the teens for temps with very high winds. I still love living on the lake in Wisconsin - it blows me away & here I goooooooo! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Ordin_Aryguy

Newly Enlightened

Looking out the window I see white, lots of white. No green, just white. This winter we officially had over 170" of white fall on us.

My winter coat is still in the closet by the front door, the mower won't be fired up for a couple more months, and the Blizzaks are still mounted at all four corners of my car. Call it what you will, but it's still winter in Syracuse.

Ordin

brightnorm

Flashaholic

I live in the North temperate zone and I enjoy winter, but I enjoy Spring even more simply because there was a Winter. I love the four seasons even though they're somehow less distinct from one another than they seemed to be when I was a boy, when every season was clear and unmistakeable.

Brightnorm

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

In southeast Alaska where I grew up, there were also four distinct seasons, but they seem to have coalesced somewhat by the mid-1980s.

There used to be winter, where it snowed often and it stuck; spring, where the snow melted and some of the plants (like ferns, skunk cabbage, and alder) began to regrow; summer, where flowers bloomed, the smells of flowers and alder leaves permeated the air, and dragonflies & cabbage butterflies flew around; and autumn, where the decidious plants died back, the first frosts hit in mid- to late-September, and it rained more.

Nowadays, it just rains year-round, and snows very little.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

Exactly, it's been a major change but I've heard little discussion of it and never seen a clear explanation. Have you?

PS, Nice writing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BN

Ordin_Aryguy

Newly Enlightened

The weather patterns are changing. Thats for sure. The attached link is a compiliation of the official snowfall data for the Syracuse region for quite some number of years. The most interesting part is that 7 of the top 10 snowiest winters for this area have all come since 1990. That's one heck of a trend.

One of the global warming models has predicted snowier, wetter winters and a result of warmer ocean waters, and in our case a warmer Lake Ontario. Warmer water evaporates easier when dry Arctic air blows across it, and falls as snow after it is cooled a bit more. It falls as rain if it doesn't quite get cooled enough (that doesn't seem to be a problem around here!)

http://mep1.phy.syr.edu/~rsholmes/snow.html

Ordin

JOshooter

Enlightened

I wish I could say the same for Anchorage, I like the snow but hate the temperature that comes with it. We still need to go through break up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast

I read 92 degrees on a thermometer at the ballpark today, while collecting a sunburn on my arms, here in sweet home Alabama.
Sunny all day, torrential showers this evening.
We're forecasted to have temps in the low 30's in the next couple of days.
If you don't like the weather, just wait a minute.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Owen said:
...sweet home Alabama...

[/ QUOTE ]

Enjoyed that movie, did you see it?

Brightnorm