Soliciting Opinions on Guide Gear Packs

MichiganMan

Enlightened
Ok, so being a recent and unwilling recruit to the "joint custody" theory of childrearing, I find myself, every other week, with far more freedom and discretion in my activities than I expected to be enjoying at this point in my life .

With that and the upcoming summer in mind, I'm busily thumbing through The Backpackers Handbook. (Good read so far)

Based on my formal learning I was initally planning on making due with a large rucksack, shelter-half, and an LBE for my beloved fanny pack (Gad, what a luxury such a simple thing was...) But as familiar and serviceable as these items are, the civilian products have obviously come a lot farther in the past two decades comfort and usability-wise (ok, I never really considered going back to a shelter-half, Sweet Christmas those things were a pain!)

So with that in mind, any backbackers/hikers have any opinions on Guide Gear Backtrail packs?

Not a bad price for the space and (from my novice's eye) features, but for $99 I kinda wanted to get some experienced backpacker opinions on it before I committed.

Chief_Wiggum

Enlightened
I've done some serious backpacking and a lot of overnight climbing trips. I've also owned a LOT of backpacks. Hands down some of the best are Arc Teryx and Dana Designs.

For $50.00 more that what you're looking at, you can buy a Bora 40, one of THE best backpacks out there. Carry 70 lbs without feeling it. No pinching, poking, squeezing. Just right for overnight and day trips.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=9250074&parent_category_rn=4500574

Never seen it for cheaper than that. Buy the best you can afford the first time. Otherwise you'll end up with 10 so-so packs you never want to wear.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definetly spend the extra money on a quality pack--your back, shoulders and knees will thank you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

-Jason

MichiganMan

Enlightened
Good site! Bookmarked that one. Thank you.

After consideration and further reading I've modified my price range to ~150-200. I'd like to get a pack in the 5000 cubic inches range. I think a trip to Cabelas is in order/ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif