Dawn of the Dead

SFR

Newly Enlightened
I saw "Dawn of the Dead" last night. It got some inspiration from "28 Days Later" -- the zombies can run with Olympic swiftness rather than dragging themselves around. It also has more gore and humor than "28 Days Later".

I learned that (as usual) you should always carry powerful flashlights when exploring dark parking garages and sewers. And carry guns at all times.

*SPOILERS AHEAD* My favorite scenes:
<font color="white">* The first zombie attack by the little girl
* The second zombie attack by the boyfriend
* The zombie attack by the fat lady
* The birth of the zombie baby</font>

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember watching Night of the living dead when I was about 10 years old. It was great and it scared me to death. I saw it again a few months ago and it just didn't seem to be as scary. I'm look forward to seeing Dawn of the dead. So how good was it?

SFR

Newly Enlightened
It has a few memorable creepy scenes. (Highlight my favorite scenes above) The acting was good. I like it when horror movies have some experienced actors (like Ving Rhames, Mekhi Fifer, and even Matt Frewer of "Max Headroom" fame).

I thought the first half was good at setting up the dreaded feeling of a world overcome with zombies. The second half had a few elements that I thought was too optimistic:

*SPOILERS*
<font color="white">* The humans playing around too much in the mall
* The humans picking off individual zombies with a game of "shoot the zombie celebrity look-a-like"
* The humans outfitting two mall buses "A-Team" style to escape the mall</font>

A few plotholes:
<font color="white">* Why don't the zombies break through the glass doors of the mall?
* How did the little girl get into the house in the beginning?
* How did the humans get into the mall? Where'd that toilet come from?
* How are dead zombies able to move so fast? What about rigormortis? In "28 Days Later", they're alive and only infected with rage.</font>

Be sure to stay through the credits to see what happens to the human survivors.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
lol ya spolers show up to those who dont have defaught colors

Size15's

Flashaholic
raggie33,

People punish those who are different. It's human nature.
I feel your pain. I viewed the spoilers because I have little self control for such things. You've been punished by humans and I've been punished by being human. Life sucks.

Thanks for the headsup guys, I wanted to see this movie and I will now just to make my mates sit through the credits!

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to go see it next week.

For anyone interested, here are a few related downloads. ***Lots of spoilers in these links***

Here are the first 8 minuets of Dawn of the Dead as shown on TV. It's a 9mb wmv movie file. Right click and select "Save as".

Here is a site where you can watch various scenes from Dawn of the Dead.

Here's a site with lots of pics from Dawn of the Dead.

And as a bonus. A site with a legal download of the original Night of the Living Dead. The whole movie! Check out the rest of the site also, lots of free good media to download.

arioch

Enlightened
I saw the 10 minute preview on USA channel when it showed (plan on watching the movie today), and I had one irritating thing on my mind:
Why does the girl open the door to the couple's bedroom, then just stand there waiting for the couple to wake up, and for the guy to walk over to her? The zombies were supposed to have an uncontrollable, insatiable need to eat human flesh, as evidenced by the other zombies outside chasing after victims ... shouldn't she have charged into the room and jumped onto the bed trying to eat the couple?

I think the concept of the running zombie, and the almost immediate reanimation better explains why they overrun the living in the relatively short period of time that they did, as opposed to the earlier slow moving-slow virus spreading version.

That being said, the running zombie kind of bummed me out. My friends and I enjoyed making up scenarios of "what to do in case the zombie plague started here?". One of the cool things about the old zombies was that they were slower than molasses in the winter going uphill. I certainly don't like running/jumping zombies that can run my fat a$$ down.

Oh well, better stock up on ammo ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh, BTW, concerning the mall windows ... I read somewhere that the windows were made of bulletproof glass. But that was on the 'Net, so take it for what it's worth.

Oh, and I dunno how to do those "SPOILER" white outs, so if any moderators want to white out anything, feel free. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif