Best Multi-tool ?

DimBeam

Enlightened
I could not find a thread on this subject. I have been a user of Leatherman for years but I realize that there are several quality companies out there who make quality tools. What is your favorite multi-tool which is roughly the same size as the Wave?

Harrkev

Enlightened
The wave....

Seriously, this is likely to turn into a war of the type of: Ford vs. Chevy, Apple vs. Wintel, or Coke vs. Pepsi.

But I carry a wave and like it very much.

matt_j

Enlightened
One company that gives Leatherman run for their money is Swiss Army. I'm a big Wave fan and have it on my belt all the time. But one Xmas my dad gave me the Swiss tool. At first it was car only tool but it became my primary tool when I'm wearing my duty gear on the ambulance. I just got sick and tired of switching things. Different tools have differenet strengths and weaknesses. I love sturdiness of swiss tool and locking mechanism on all the components but I prefer my wave for one hand blade opening. Geeeee I guess it really is a matter of personal preference. I'm just lucky to have two.

Matt

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have had this question in the past as well.

i think you have to decide what your need are:

price, weight, size, tool choices, extras.

i am personally leaning toward the swisstool--but the leathermans are really tempting as well.

they are both very rugged and great performers.

i honestly dont think you will go wrong with either, as long as you clearly define your needs.

Bob

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've owned several sizes and types and once again we have the if you don't carry it, it doesn't do you much good syndrome. I've owned the micras, too small, the full size every brands, too large except to carry in a belt holder.The answer for me was the intermediate size juice models by Leather man. Perfect in between size, I own two models, the KF4 and the S2. They fit my pockets and I always carry one or the other. Most of the tools open from the outside, nice features.

Mark_van_Gorkom

Enlightened
Having owned several (Gerber, several Leathermans, Spyderco, Swisstool) I find the Swisstool to be the most practical and complete, and the strongest of them all. Mine has seen a lot of use but still looks as good as new. The bitset is very usefull too.

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best?? The one you have with you when ya need it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I've been carrying a Leatherman Juice KF4 for a few months now. I have a Berkley Mini-clip on it and it hangs in my left rear pocket, right beside my wallet.
My favorite multi-tool is my SOG Power Power. It out performed a few other tools the last time I was TDY(1996). A few times when another multi-tool fell off because it couldn't grip, my Power Plier grabbed it no problem. I was impressed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Blades

cabletech

Newly Enlightened
You may be interested in knowing that Leatherman is coming out with a new line up for this year. From what I have seen they look pretty nice. There is a link to them under the other guy looking for a multi-tool. Check out his post swiss tool or supertool. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Bill.H

Enlightened
The new Charge from Leatherman looks even nicer than the (new and improved) Wave. It's expected in May/June.
The Swisstool is arguably superior but at the cost of a much larger and heavier tool.
Another option is SOG.

Like buying knives, it's often a personal decision. Go with what feels best in your hand and on your hip (or in your pocket). Of course, make sure it has the tools YOU need most.

lightemup

Flashaholic*
What is your favorite multi-tool which is roughly the same size as the Wave?

Mine is the Wave /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif Seriously though, along with the wave tool kit, my wave gets constantly used. The last time my wave got a real run was when I used the saw to make a bush stretcher (I cut down 3 small trees approximately half a fist thick each). Although I'd obviously had preferred a proper bush saw, the wave did a good job, and I didn't have to lug around a whole saw in the off chance i'd needed it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Also, the 'rounding' of the wave gives it a great feel in my hand compared to other multi-tools. I might have to find a swisstool to look at, they must be very good if they are in the same league as leatherman /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I haven't actually seen one yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ChopperCFI

Newly Enlightened
My personal favorite is a Wave I keep with me every day. However, I like the locking capability of the Supertool a lot more after pinching fingers trying to loosen a tight or stripped screw head. Since there are a lot of newer tools since I bought mine, I would suggest getting one where EVERY blade and tool lock in place.

Here is some older information that is still helpful and some newer information spread throughout this page.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a Gerber Multiplier once. The phillips head twisted while I was trying to remove a screw from an aircraft panel. I got a real screwdriver, and was surprised to find that it wasn't that tight. I took the Gerber back.

Now I have a Leatherman Supertool (the first model), and a SOG PowerPlier. I like both, but if forced to choose, it would be the SOG.

Once, I had to cut a door chain with the wirecutters on the SOG. I was locked out, and only had a key for the door that was chained. I was sure that the tool would break while attempting this, and it did hurt my hands to do it, but the SOG came through.

My experience has been that no tool has all the features/tools that I want, I bet almost everyone here can relate to this. I love the SOG, but the tools don't lock, etc.

Someone should make a custom multitool, where you select the tools/blades, and their arrangement in the multitool. Have you ever seen one and thought "This would be perfect if there were scissors where this saw is.", or something like that?

However, I carry neither anymore. They just sit in a drawer. I can't use personal tools at work, and when I'm out, I frequently carry my Proteus pack, in which I keep a Victorinox Work Champ, and on my keys I have a Leatherman Squirt P4, and Spyderco Jester.

simbad

Enlightened
The Wave is a very versatile tool because of the one -hand operation blades, but when you use the pliers go carefully and don't squeeze your thumb between the handles, it is a natural way-to hold the pliers leaning the thumb onto the handles, and this tool when open, those edges are the top of the knife blade and saw/file, if this happens, well, it is very painfull and makes a big blood blister on your finger, so check the supertool handles/edges and see the difference.Just a tip not noticeable until you use the tool.

Aten_Imago

Banned
I haven't used any of the others but I LOVE my Keshaw MultiTool.
1- Ergonomics - Excellent
2-Features - Excellent for me
3-Design Build Quality 10 of 10. Like a fine Swiss watch
4-Finish, beautiful matte silver plating gives it a classy look
5-Materials - I don't know because I can't seem to scratch or break it
6-Raves - Solid professional form-factor-Locking offset nose pliers and release bar - fabulous kershaw quality knife blade-Fast Durable Sheath
7-Rants - pinkie pinching potential when use in wirecutter mode - Bulky & heavy for most home use

JohnJ80

Enlightened
I have both the Wave and the SwissTool.

If I had to have just one, it would be the swisstool. The reason is that it is far sturdier, tougher and the blade quality is better. The metal is more corrosion resistant, all the blades lock. the blades are easier to deploy (except for knife blades due to one handed opening). It is a great, great tool. The only (emphasis on *only*) deficient in my opinion is the knife blade is not one handed for opening.

The wave is a bit smaller, it has a great system for one handed opening on blades. The only blades that lock are the two knives, the file and the saw. When you select one of the other other blades, you usually get at least one more swinging out so you have put some back. The wave also has a tendency to flex or twist if you really honk on the tool while driving a screw. The Swiss tool does not - it is rock solid. Also, if you really have to press on a screw to drive it, the wave blades will also often fold shut (hurts if your finger gets caught) since they don't lock. This is a big deficit (IMHO) that appears to be corrected in the new version of the wave due out this summer.

If you are around salt water, be careful of your wave. I was recently on a 10 day sailing trip in the caribbean. The wave never got wet but was on my belt in my leather (custom) sheath the whole time. At the end of the 10 days, I had rust fleck in multiple places on the tool and on the blades, even though I had applied WD-40 liberally before I left of the trip.

The Swisstool also has a ruler on the body (9" or so). The wave has none. I don't understand why Leatherman did not do this since you basically can get if for free on the body.

So, I wear my leatherman when I primarily need a knife, and when I will need one with my hands full (like ski patrolling for example). I also like to wear the leatherman when I want something a bit more discrete since the leatherman is a bit smaller (1/4-1/2" in length).

So, if you have to buy just one, go for the SwissTool. If you just gotta have a Leatherman, then wait until this summer when the new and improved version is available with locking blades - or select one of the two additional new models.

J.

Samoan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
JohnJ80 said:
If you are around salt water, be careful of your wave. I was recently on a 10 day sailing trip in the caribbean. The wave never got wet but was on my belt in my leather (custom) sheath the whole time. At the end of the 10 days, I had rust fleck in multiple places on the tool and on the blades, even though I had applied WD-40 liberally before I left of the trip.

[/ QUOTE ]

While a little salt-water shouldn't have this effect on any stainless keep in mind that by using WD-40 you removed any lube thaa the tool had an effectively left it naked to the elements. Although it is commonly used as such, WD-40 is *not* a lubricant or protectant.

-Fernando

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just esterday, I received on of those damn emails of trivia that people send around in the email, in the droves. This one was about the history of WD-40. It said that it was developed as a preservative/protectant for metal rocket parts. The WD supposedly stands for water displacement.
But, I don't have really, any trust in that stuff that circulates in the email.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Swisstool has some really nice advantages: all the tools are externally accessible, when you pull one tool out the others do not clump together and come with it, and all tools lock. The tools never felt as finished as the Leatherman's to me, but the other advantages of the Swisstool are pretty killer. I don't own one, so can't compare the Swisstool on robustness, but I haven't heard any complaints.

The new line of Leathermans could have most of the advantages of the Swisstool, plus others. For a full-size, heavier tool, if the Charge lives up to its promise, I think that will be a winner. It raises the bar in numerous areas.

Meanwhile, I find that for myself, despite the fact that I have several full-size, heavier multitools, it's the Leatherman Pulse that I often carry because it's so lightweight. The Pulse is basically the Leatherman PST but with a locking system. I think tools like the Pulse (or the Juice, which I might have bought instead if it had been out) which are lightweight but medium-duty rugged, are plenty for me. I'll be looking closely at the Charge when it comes out.

Joe

JohnJ80

Enlightened
For my work (office environment), I carry a Leatherman XE6 Juice. Its ok, but its tools don't lock either. This isn't nearly the issue it is for the Wave since it is much lighter duty.

J