weird thingies fell outa my trek 7

D

**DONOTDELETE**

My trek seven started to rattle. This was not the normal rattling of the batteries. I opened it up and this tiny little gray cylinder fell out. I examnined my flashlight and found where it came from. Between the round wafer that holds the LEDs and the clear twisting lens there is a black "depresser" ring that pushes the LED wafer down to make the circuit. protruding towards the center of the light, from the depressor ring, their is a notch that sticks out. This is were the dark grey cylinder came from and there was another inside this notch.

What are these things?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jeebob:
My trek seven started to rattle. This was not the normal rattling of the batteries. I opened it up and this tiny little gray cylinder fell out.

What are these things?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like somebody put too many catalyst pellets in yours. There should be just one, in a small receptacle inside the reflector ring where you found one already. The loose one was probably inside your flashlight all along, possibly lodged under a spring or under the metal strap going up the side of the flashlight.

The pellet is a platinum "foam" if you will, and is there to absorb hydrogen gas from the batteries and stop your flashlight from exploding.

I would put your new-found "spare" in a film canister or other small, watertight container and save it for a rainy day. Should the one inside your Trek (or any other light that uses them) get flooded, you will already have a replacement.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
That`s your Platinum Catalyst. What? Well when in use, some types of batteries give off hydrogen gas. Normally this is of no consequence, it is given off in very small quantities and normally just dissipates into the air. But in sealed lights like the Trek range, this gas has no place to go, so just builds up. Now Hydrogen is extremely explosive (see how powerful a Hydrogen Bomb is?!) so the last thing you want is a load of it under pressure in your flashlight- which could happen if it were a very long time since the last time it was opened for a battery change (hence venting the gas). The spark generated by turning it on or off could in theory, ignite this gas. Probably wouldn`t leave a mile-wide crater in the floor but it could do some mischief none the less
shocked.gif

So the Platinum Catalyst is employed. This essentially absorbs the hydrogen (not sure quite what chemical reactions go on though) and prevents this build up.

So I`d put that grey thingy back where it came from! Seriously, the danger is slight and for such a small light consuming relatively little power, it would almost never have a chance of causing a problem, but the build up of gas of any kind inside a sealed light could cause other problems- damage to the seals, stiffening of the head`s action, possible cracking of the body especially after some external damage. So it is a useful thing to have.

shocked.gif
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

JIMINNY GLICK! I did what Donny Don't does.
blush.gif
I misplaced mine thinking that they weren't important. they're probably somewhere in michigan lost in my families cottage! Do you think C. Crane or Tektite will send me some freebies?

Also, how would either of you suggest I make it stay in the compartment. I think its broke because when I put both of them in (maybe the original piece broke into two?) they just fell out when I put the light together.

Do the batteries leak hydrogen when they are used or even when they just sit on a shelf.

Craig, what did you mean by the pellet getting flooded? Do you mean used up ie flooded with hydrogen or does this happen when they get wet?

Do other waterproof LED flashlights have these?

What about maglights?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jeebob:
JIMINNY GLICK! I did what Donny Don't does.
blush.gif
I misplaced mine thinking that they weren't important. they're probably somewhere in michigan lost in my families cottage! Do you think C. Crane or Tektite will send me some freebies?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You did mention there was still one in the receptacle. That's what makes me think your flashlight got an extra by mistake.
Check that little holder for a pellet. It should occupy the upper half of the receptacle, with a blob of clear silicone or epoxy on the bottom to hold it in place.

I think they're $4 apiece if you need to buy new ones - but since yours FELL OUT without your having abused the flashlight, you shouldn't have to pay a penny for replacement.

Also, how would either of you suggest I make it stay in the compartment<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If it's no longer in the holder, here's how you install a new one:

1: Disassemble light. Assuming you hve an older model Trek, the retaining ring and the LED board will be seperate pieces.

2: Place a new pellet in the holder, and apply a dab of silicone sealant (bathtub caulk, fishtank repair goo, or even rubber cement should do in a pinch) and let it set for an hour or so.

3: Reassemble your flashlight.

Do the batteries leak hydrogen when they are used or even when they just sit on a shelf.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The largest amount of venting occurs under two specific conditions: when the batteries are under a high load for an extend time, and, when the batteries become exhausted and are left inside the flashlight.
They will vent at other times, but these are the two big offenders, and the two reasons why the catalyst is in there.

Craig, what did you mean by the pellet getting flooded? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Flooded... like a toliet... with water.
smile.gif

Such an occurance is not very likely with a Tektite flashlight, but one can never be too sure.

Do other waterproof LED flashlights have these?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Many of the GOOD ones do.
Pelican and UKE come to mind - but I've not had any experience with the others, so I cannot vouch for them.

What about maglights?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not that I've seen.
Perhaps they figure the aluminum body can contain the pressure without exploding until it is high enough to slowly vent around one or more of the O-rings.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

thanks for the reply

both of them are lost. If I don't find them, where might I purchase new ones?

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris M.:
Now Hydrogen is extremely explosive (see how powerful a Hydrogen Bomb is?!)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, come on Chris, these two things have nothing to do with each other! YOu owe us one smiley!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>

The spark generated by turning it on or off could in theory, ignite this gas.
Seriously, the danger is slight and for such a small light
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We had two underwater flashes explode, back some 15-20 years. One of them was actually designed and made by me and it was partly my fault. Both produced nice sharp pieces of plastic flying around, fortunately only hitting dead materia. It would have been enough to loose an eye.
My flash contained 4 SubC NiCd cells with 1.2Ah (best cells 20 years ago).

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
You owe us one smiley!

Sorry, I`ve recently got a new mouse and it needs prodding harder than my old one- there should`ve been a
shocked.gif
in there!

I`m not actually having the best of luck with my technomological equipment tonight, I already messed up an important and irreplaceable minidisc
frown.gif

But here, have a few more for good luck......

rolleyes.gif
shocked.gif
tongue.gif
wink.gif
grin.gif
smile.gif

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Originally posted by jeebob:
Do the batteries leak hydrogen when they are used or even when they just sit on a shelf.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Stingmon's reply]
The largest amount of venting occurs under two specific conditions: when the batteries are under a high load for an extend time, and, when the batteries become exhausted and are left inside the flashlight.
They will vent at other times, but these are the two big offenders, and the two reasons why the catalyst is in there.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I actually saw this happen -

The Exploding 2AA Mag-Lite:
I gave a new 2AA Mag-Lite to a girlfriend. Much later, she had it in the pocket of a light silk jacket, and it exploded, with a sound like a gunshot. The pocket seam was actually torn through.
The Lexan lens had blasted out from the securely tightened face cap, and was later found 25 feet away, totally unmarked, still in one piece. I hate to imagine what it must have looked like just before it blew out, probably an extremely convex shape due to all the pressure built up behind it.
It was a destructive major workshop procedure to unscrew the tailcap, I almost ended up tearing the aluminium to pieces. Too long ago to remember what the batteries were, and they sure were unremoveable. They had been in the light for some long time, but not used much.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stingmon:
....... Perhaps they [Mag-lite] figure the aluminum body can contain the pressure without exploding until it is high enough to slowly vent around one or more of the O-rings.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stingmon, I have read references to the D-series Mag's being designed with the tailcap O-ring used as a gas vent.
I guess that means that anyone replacing the manufacturers tailcap O-ring with another that "just fits" is taking an explosive risk.

If this vent notion applies to the Mini-Mag, then it certainly didn't work in the 2AA as above.

lightlover
frown.gif
wink.gif
grin.gif
rolleyes.gif

BTW, what causes stored Lithium batteries to give off a scent like cough sweets ?

Do they give off some substance too ?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
thanks for the reply

both of them are lost. If I don't find them, where might I purchase new ones?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh oh... I'd go to Tek-tite for replacements.
Since it (they) fell out without your having abused or flooded the flashlight, it should be a warranty item that costs you nothing.

Try mailto:[email protected] or go to http://www.tek-tite.com and look up information regarding the warranty, and information (if available) about the pellets themselves.

If you're out of warranty, I believe I read somewhere (either C.Crane or Tek-tite) that replacement pellets were $4 and I think you get more than one with the order.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ted the Led:
Originally posted by *something ridiculous:
[qb]
BTW, what causes stored Lithium batteries to give off a scent like cough sweets ?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Reminds me of that Star Trek episode where Kirk confronts that energy 'blob' on Omicron Theta or some other bullsh*t planet... the thing gives off this "sickly sweet odor", like rotten honey or some such thing.

The new warning on lithium battery flashlights:

"WARNING! Sniffing flashlights might give you the urge to put some antimatter in a cheap plastic box and beam down to some hostile planet with it and hang out there until you smell rotten honey."
wink.gif

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ted the Led:
Originally posted by *something ridiculous:
[qb]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>[qb]....... lithium hexa-flouro-ethane-nitrate. ............ [QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ted TL, at the risk of my being shown as an idiot,
blush.gif
the nature of the scent is exactly described by "lithium hexa-flouro-ethane-nitrate".

So, is this actually true ?
Or what is it ?

And Stingmon,
you of all people should know that the research spin-offs from *Star Trek* led directly to the space-age phenomenon'ry of LED's ......
rolleyes.gif

lightlover
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by *something ridiculous:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I am reminded of a past post by our friend; hmmwv, in reply to my guess that perhaps this was the odor of cyanide:
"...Flashaholic
Member # 67
posted 01-21-2001 03:38 AM                    
Nope - not cyanide - lithium hexa-flouro-ethane-nitrate. Death occurs within 2-4 years - but the first symptoms are an incredible urge to buy more flashlights.
I'm sorry. Couldn't resist ..."

:>) thanks hmmwv.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by *something ridiculous:
Ted TL, at the risk of my being shown as an idiot,
blush.gif
the nature of the scent is exactly described by "lithium hexa-flouro-ethane-nitrate".

So, is this actually true ?
Or what is it
lightlover
smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
...no, not idiocy, it does smell like hexa-flouro-ethane-nitrate, with perhaps a touch of retsyn
grin.gif
(just kidding about the retsyn) -- but, yes, I trust hmmwv's analysis, he's a pro...
cool.gif