limelights .... Ain't They Great???

Doug

Enlightened
limelights .... Ain\'t They Great???

I noticed someone else on here mention these little night lights, and I am curious, who here has theses things? I just *LOVE THEM* myself. Why you ask? Well, they are dim, but bright enough to keep you from bumping into things, and helpfull at hitting a certain target in the bathroom .... nothing worse than hitting the rim, or some other reflective survice, and getting yourself
mad.gif
! Also, I love the fact that they have a lifetime warranty, and you can (sometimes) get them in a 3 pack for $9.99! I have noticed though, that some do not have a lifetime warranty... this is bad becuase they die in 2-3 years (in the bathroom at least, maybe they last longer in the hall way/bedroom applications). The ones that usually do not have the life time warranty, I have noticed, are the fancier ones, with the clocks in them.... but recently, I was in Target, and noticed that they had some that have clocks in them, AND had the life time warranty! Woo! I guess I will have to get one of those for the Bathroom (oh, great, another clock to set
tongue.gif
!).

Doug

Spork

Enlightened
Re: limelights .... Ain\'t They Great???

yeah i bought a pack of them a few months ago and made a post wondering what they were. some people were saying the ones that lasted only a few years came from a bad batch. also if you look on the back of the package some are made in usa and some aren't. i seen some blue ones now that I've been wanting to pick up but im to cheap. you could put these all over your house and just use a flashlight then you wouldnt need regular lights anymore
cool.gif

Brock

Flashaholic

I have a bunch of them and keep the receipt because they do fail in about 2 to 4 years if left on all the time. They get blotchy and dimmer as time goes on. But as you mentioned they don't use much power and work great as marker lights. I bought them in the three packs then send three bad ones back at a time. It is cheaper then buying new ones, but not by much. I have also heard they aren't very efficient, about the same as an incandescent, but since they are so dim it doesn't really matter.

I wish someone made a 2w, 1w and .5w incandescent night-light lamp, in a candelabra base. I would use those a lot, I have looked around a lot for them but never seen them. The closest I have come is a 7w candelabra base 240v lamp, works great on 120, about 1w and should last forever, the problem is they were $8 each.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast

After trying/using almost every type of nightlight, I've found the best to be the micro-fluorescent (w/photocell for auto turnoff during daytime).
They'll cost you about $7. @ K-Mart, but IMO-they're well worth it. (claimed power draw about 3w.)

Doug

Enlightened

"They get blotchy".... you got that right! I had one that was so messed up, that 99% of it was that tan color, and only little cracks of light remained, and it made a lovely crackling sound
smile.gif
... hehe... I thought it was about time to change that one
smile.gif
!

Brock, it sound like you are sending them back to the manufacturer... I just take them back to the store.... they haven't said no, yet.

Doug

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brock:
I have a bunch of them and keep the receipt because they do fail in about 2 to 4 years if left on all the time. They get blotchy and dimmer as time goes on. But as you mentioned they don't use much power and work great as marker lights. I bought them in the three packs then send three bad ones back at a time. It is cheaper then buying new ones, but not by much. I have also heard they aren't very efficient, about the same as an incandescent, but since they are so dim it doesn't really matter.

I wish someone made a 2w, 1w and .5w incandescent night-light lamp, in a candelabra base. I would use those a lot, I have looked around a lot for them but never seen them. The closest I have come is a 7w candelabra base 240v lamp, works great on 120, about 1w and should last forever, the problem is they were $8 each.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brock

Flashaholic

I did try to take them back to the store I bought them from and they said to send them back to the manufacture listed on the lights. So that is what I do. We now have a Home Depot I wonder if they will take them back?

Doug

Enlightened

I believe I got mine from Home Depot (I get home depot, and home base confused... but it was one or the other...)... and I did not bring a reciept.... after all, what is the likely hood I would even be able to find a reciept after 2 or 3 years
smile.gif
???

Doug

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brock:
I did try to take them back to the store I bought them from and they said to send them back to the manufacture listed on the lights. So that is what I do. We now have a Home Depot I wonder if they will take them back?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike

Newly Enlightened

Regarding them getting blotchy...I believe it is from attracting dust inside. I took one of them and sealed it around the edges with glue a couple years ago and it still looks like new. They are getting so cheap I haven't worried about it since then. I've been using them for about 4 years and never had one actually fail.

Doug

Enlightened

You might have something there! Why the heck don't they seal them, then?? Ok, maybe I will try that on the next new one I get
wink.gif
! Thanks for the tip!

Doug

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike:
Regarding them getting blotchy...I believe it is from attracting dust inside. I took one of them and sealed it around the edges with glue a couple years ago and it still looks like new. They are getting so cheap I haven't worried about it since then. I've been using them for about 4 years and never had one actually fail.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've got one in the master bath. Got annoyed with how much light incandescent nightlights spilled into the bedroom. The soft green Lime light is just the right brightness.

Are the blue ones brighter or dimmer?

Spork

Enlightened

well i just bought the indiglo version and it says the original cool glow. its hard to tell but it looks pretty much the same as the limelites, maybe a little darker color. i was hoping it would really be the indiglo color like it shows on the package but I guess not. I need to check out target this weekend and pickup one with a clock although I don't like clocks to much that run off ac since if the power kicks out you have to reset them all.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I don't like clocks to much that run off ac since if the power kicks out you have to reset them all. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Many clocks have battery backup so you don't need to reset them after a blackout.

Artie Choke

Newly Enlightened

just saw some at walmart - 2 for $3.95! they are a different brand - leviton - but when i checked the back, they're made by the same company the limelights are (auston innovations). i got a 2-pack from target for $7 awhile back, so wallyworld has the best price! i didn't check to see if they had a lifetime warranty.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I think mine was like $7 or $8 at Fred Meyers awhile back... but I haven't used it lately because I replaced it with a Sauce LightOrb.
smile.gif

Much more fun in the bathroom.
blush.gif

See the toliet flush in 65,535 different colors... watch the toothbrush holder mutate into random colors before your eyes, and marvel at the bath towel basking in an eerie magenta glow one minute and a startling orange the next...

Artie Choke

Newly Enlightened

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stingmon:
See the toliet flush in 65,535 different colors... watch the toothbrush holder mutate into random colors before your eyes, and marvel at the bath towel basking in an eerie magenta glow one minute and a startling orange the next...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

well, now i'm gonna hafta try my lightwasher there. i wasn't real impressed with it doing the light wash, since it only goes through the rainbow. maybe it's better in the random mode.

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast

I picked up a cool green one at the dollar
store one day, for $1.00 US.
After one week of constant running, the
little green fluorescent bulb got a little
blotchie looking too, but its inside
the actual bulb, not on the outside of it.
It still lights though, and is very bright.
Because the bulb looks so strange i just
wonder if they are overdriving it.

This one had a translucent picture of some
scenery: a stream and some mountains.
Pretty cool, but i took out the picture
and its much brighter now. Lights up a
whole room and you can definitely see
where you are going without turning on
a normal light.
This one has an on/off switch on it.
Dont know whats with the bulb getting to
look so strange though, but it still works
ok. Its got a real glass cover too.

--Al

WarrenI

Newly Enlightened

Don't let anyone tell you these lights are all the same. I picked up several packs at the Costco here in Honolulu, and they all went bad within less than 6 months. These were the ones marketed by Intermatics. I returned them and requested that they replace them. I mentioned that I was very unhappy with this problem and wanted to know if they redesigned the light. They mentioned that they did not plan on a change and if I wanted to have the lights changed, they can do this under their lifetime warranty for a $4.00 per light handling fee. I just forgot about it as I could get new ones for less.

A little while later, I picked up the Timex ones with the digital clock (marketed by Austin Innovations) and it seem that their light holds up better. My first generation LCD clocks gave trouble and I got them exchanged with redesigned clocks. These new units have a separate bezel around the clock, as it seems to be on a different layer from the light. The old unit pressed the entire LCD of the clock over the entire light. It's been over a year and the new units are working fine. The light is not as bright, but still bright.

It seems that the best results I am having is with the GE line. I have one from Wallyworld with two outlets at the sides, and they are still very bright and clear.

I think the problem with the hazing has to do with moisture. If these light plates are exposed around the edges, moisture will stick to it and cause this problem. The ones near the bathroom, will be affected first. Just stay away from the Intermatics line, as they seem to have a huge problem with leakage and customer relations.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

FYI, these limelites™ draw .01 watts of power. Its stamped right on the back. If anyone tells you that they are less efficient than incandescents, slap them.

AFAIK, you can't beat electroluminescent.

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mine must be a different type.
It draws 1 watt of power.
It has a 3 inch long green fluorescent
bulb in it along with 4 resistors, 2 diodes,
and what appears to be 2 large capacitors or
coils with strange part markings.
Its really bright for a 3 inch long thing.

--Al

Drakonchik

Newly Enlightened

Just want to "put in a plug" for the GE (made by Austin Innovations) Limelight, UPC#0 4318058555 4. I've used a couple of these for several years and neither has burned out or dimmed--whereas a two-pack of another brand that I gave my mom (also rated to last forever--the light that is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) both burned out w/in 1 year. She threw them out before I could even go back and find out what the crap that was.

Anyone else had an Austin go bad?

Any brands to praise or slam?

By the way I also have a couple blueish Indiglos. I think the Austins are a little brighter.