Ultrasonic cleaner

cryptoguru

Newly Enlightened
I saw a ultrasonic cleaner in the sharper image catalog, anyone know if that stuff really works on cleaning? Any realworld tried experience?

TOB9595

Enlightened
I use an ultrasonic cleaner for Fountain pen nibs, earrings, rings, etc. Works extremely well. I make my own solution.
I'm not familiar with the Sharper image.
Tom

DBrier

Enlightened
I worked in a pawn shop for two years, you can imagine the jewelry we bought. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
We had a professional cleaner and it worked wonders. It got stuff and crud out you could never get with a toothbrush. We also made our own cleaning solution. A little windex, a little degreaser, a lot of water.
I have never tried a cheap plastic consumer model.

cryptoguru

Newly Enlightened
FOLLOWUP: anyone recommend a cheaper or differ brand than sharper image?

ChopperCFI

Newly Enlightened
Here is one I plan on getting for a gift. Seems to be about the same capacity as Sharper Image, but less expensive. I don't have any first hand experience with it yet.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Sharper Image ones I've seen are low-powered, and with small tanks, so you can't fit things in there like eyeglasses and similar sized items. As in everything, you get what you pay for in ultrasonic cleaners, and there's no substitute for a modest sized powerful commercial version that will really blast the crud out of the tiniest of recesses in a surprisingly short amount of time.

cryptoguru

Newly Enlightened
Okay..how about a reference or a link of a company that has the commercial versions:)

cryptoguru

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info..i'll look around ebay. Just looking for something basic to clean keys, watches, hand tools and stuff I carry around.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used Ultrasonic a lot. Yes, it is invaluable for cleaning lots of stuff.

When my good "professional model" burned out early last year, and I couldn't afford to actually replace it, I bought one of these to "see me through" until I could afford a good one:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=3305

I wasn't expecting much out of it, and it was smaller than I wanted, but it ended up working better than I expected.

If you are doing small enough stuff and don't need heavy duty, continuous use, it ought to do. They are regularly on sale for $29.95 each, and I have bought a couple of more since the first (which is still working just fine.)

Here is a little tip: for multi-purpose cleaning solvent you can use "Formula 409" or "Fantastic" or save even more money and buy the 1 gallon generic "cleaner-degreaser" at Costco. It is a LOT cheaper than the special ultrasonic cleaner solutions, and works as well if not better.

ChopperCFI

Newly Enlightened
Silviron,

Thanks for the link. It looks exactly like the one I was about to buy from Hammmacher Schlemmer. You just saved me at least ten bucks.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
OOPS, Chopper- Sorry that you didn't wait a couple of days
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

They are on sale again for $29.99. Use item # 03305-1HDA if anyone else wants to order one.

ChopperCFI

Newly Enlightened
Silviron,
Doing taxes prevented me from ordering yet. I tried the part number you provided in the "find item number" search. It keeps taking me back to the full price page with the different part number. What am I doing wrong?

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beats me- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif I got the number out of the new print catalog that came in today. It used to work that way on the website, but maybe they changed it.

Might be easier to just call the order in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif