New white LED inverter bulb

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

I wish there was a 1-cell CR123A flashlight with a PR base : (

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mad_scientist:
I wish there was a 1-cell CR123A flashlight with a PR base : (<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, this bulb would work in it, or any other 3 volt battery source.
Problem is, as you said, there aren't any PR-based flashlights that use CR123 photo batteries. Maybe somebody will come up with a retrofit for this purpose.
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

How does the step-up behave in terms of regulation?

A rough calculation shows that the efficiency of the bulb is about 65%, lower than the plain resistor setup with 3-cell source.

JollyRoger

Enlightened
Does anyone know of any small 2AAA or 2AA flashlight that use a pr-bulb (where this led would fit)???
That would be cool. A nice, small (2AAA side-by-side configuration) led light....

Gandalf

Enlightened
"Does anyone know of any small 2AAA or 2AA flashlight that use a pr-bulb (where this led would fit)???
That would be cool. A nice, small (2AAA side-by-side configuration) led light.... "

Streamlight made sich a light; it uses a 2AA PR base krypton bulb, with adjustable focus, and a tail (rotary) switch. It also
had a head that would swivel so the light could be rotated to 90 degrees. I can't remember what they were called, but I have 2 of them at home. They are about the size of a mini Maglight. Also, the Princeton Tec 20 uses a halogen PR base bulb, and it's a side by side AA design. No focus, though.

Also: re: the single 123 flashlight that uses a PR base bulb: I think Tekna made one, called the Splashlight. It was one of the first flashlights to use the then new lithium battery. I'm going by memory, since I never owned one, but I believe it used a PR base lamp. Again, I don't know if they are still being made, but some distributor might have some....
wink.gif

Brock

Flashaholic
Craig those are the same ones in the Starlights I sent you. They have one that runs on a single cell also, yes, 1.5v AA cell in a PR base.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by roger:
Does anyone know of any small 2AAA or 2AA flashlight that use a pr-bulb (where this led would fit)???
That would be cool. A nice, small (2AAA side-by-side configuration) led light....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Check out "Lumilite" brand flashlights @ Walmart, and Savon/Osco.-they make 'em.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brock:
Craig those are the same ones in the Starlights I sent you. They have one that runs on a single cell also, yes, 1.5v AA cell in a PR base.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're right - it's exactly like the bulb in the colorless (transluscent) Starlite you sent. The LED is the same shape, the bulb construction is the same, the collet is the same, even the ratings embossing on the side of the lamp base is the same.

My bulb seems to be brighter than yours though.
I'll put the both in identical Starlites and do the bathroom test.
On the other hand, forget it. I didn't need to even get out of this chair to figure out that my bulb is at least 30-50% brighter than yours, and maybe 100% brighter than the bulb the same guy sent the other day.
(A 100% improvement in 3 days... now that's sweet!)
smile.gif

When used in your new generation Starlite with the frosted bit in the lens, the beam is similar to your bulb, perhaps a touch wider, and noticeably brighter and bluer.
It's still no Turtlelite I, but it's coming damn close.

It works remarkably well in your 1-cell Starlite, but projects a wider beam because the bulb sits maybe a mm higher up in the illuminator head than the original 1-cell bulb does.

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stingmon:
Well, this bulb would work in it, or any other 3 volt battery source.
Problem is, as you said, there aren't any PR-based flashlights that use CR123 photo batteries.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A Tekna Splash Lite should be very easy to convert (it uses an E10 bulb). I have several of them around here. Also a MonoLith will do (even better).

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gandalf:
the single 123 flashlight that uses a PR base bulb: I think Tekna made one, called the Splashlight. It was one of the first flashlights to use the then new lithium battery.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, this is not correct: The Tekna MonoLith was earlier. The MonoLith was available in ~1985. The Splash appeared ~1988 (IIRC it was named different at this time).
And, as mentioned above: They use either a e10 base bulb or a custom made one (the later MonoLiths with adjustable focus).

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PeLu:
No, this is not correct: The Tekna MonoLith was earlier. The MonoLith was available in ~1985. The Splash appeared ~1988 (IIRC it was named different at this time).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just came across a couple of rather fuzzy pictures of a "Tekna Splash-Lite", circa 1988.
It is about the size of an E1, and it uses a screw base lamp.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Here is a new 3 volt lamp I just received that uses an LED that wasn't ground out by a third party, but was custom-molded by Nichia Japan specifically for this application.

jordan0.jpg

This is a standard flange-style PR lamp with the inverter tucked inside the lamp base.
Marked "2.85V 0.1A"
The actual current measured for *this* sample was 120.1mA (0.12A) on a pair of nearly-new alkaline "D" cells (less than 5 minutes previous usage).

jordan4.jpg

This is the new bulb installed in a cheap ($2) plastic Eveready D-cell light (the blue flashlight pictured below), compared to LEDCorp's "Our Best Aluminum Flashlight" with its focus just slightly loosened so the beam size is comparable.

ever2d-1.jpg

The new bulb is the spot on the left; the LEDCorp is the one on the right.
The spot quality may improve when used in a light with a quality reflector - like a Mag or other medium to high end light.

Both of the test flashlights were set upright on a table and shone at the ceiling to obtain this photo.

The bulb is available from Abitax for $14.
I have a link to them on my Abitax Tag Light page, which will do until I make a seperate page for this bulb.

Note: The bulb is meant to be used in 2-cell (C or D) Mag Lites. Since I don't have a 2-cell Mag, I cannot test it in one.

A test hookup using the lampholder & reflector from my Turtlelight produced the expected narrow Turtlelite-like beam.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Let me get this straight: is there an actual step-up inside the bulb, or the LED is underdriven?

ADDED: silly me, should have read the original post with my eyes open.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mad_scientist:
Let me get this straight: is there an actual step-up inside the bulb, or the LED is underdriven?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is actually a very tiny DC-DC inverter inside the bulb base, so the LED is driven brightly, possibly to 40-50mA.
It's brighter than a white Nichia driven "to spec" at 20mA on a lab supply.
grin.gif

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stingmon:
I just came across a couple of rather fuzzy pictures of a "Tekna Splash-Lite", circa 1988.
It is about the size of an E1, and it uses a screw base lamp.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is smaller than an E1, the MonoLith is about E1 size. Maybe the Splash-Lite was sold under different names in different countries.
I wanted to convert some of my Splash Lites to 5 leds (actually an electronic engineer owes me the boost regulator .-), but had no time. I wanted to mount it on my hardhat as a secondary light source.
Maybe I have to get one of these bulbs (to stay on topic .-)

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PeLu:
It is smaller than an E1, the MonoLith is about E1 size. Maybe the Splash-Lite was sold under different names in different countries<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This picture shows the Splash-Lite next to an E1 - that's how I arrived at the size comparison.
smile.gif

If I can find the pictures again, they may actually lead me to a less out of focus set (I'm going by date stamp on the files here), which I'll then share with the forum.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Does anyone know of any small 2AAA or 2AA flashlight that use a pr-bulb (where this led would fit)??? That would be cool. A nice, small (2AAA side-by-side configuration) led light....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Another good wrapper for one of these LEDs would be an Energizer Waterproof light.

WP220WB-E.jpg

Not too small but moderately tough and watertight to 30 feet. Available at wallymart. http://www.energizerflashlights.com/

PS found the Tekna light HERE

JollyRoger

Enlightened
Hey, that little tekna splash light seems pretty cool! (I think the E1 is a bit pricey, but nice!)

Has anyone tried putting one of those new inverter (3 led's?) bulbs into the splash light? I'm wondering how bright it is...

It would be cool if someone put a regulator in this light, too...and even better, the ls-led! Is there not enough space? It would be a like a cheaper version of the arc-ls w/ the 1 3V set-up...

I would definitely buy this.

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
This picture shows the Splash-Lite next to an E1 - that's how I arrived at the size comparison.
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Strange. Can you give us the E1's size in numbers (don't have one here)? SureFire does not give that data on their website (or I cannot find it), Toolshop says 80mm long, no diameter.

The SplashLite is 22mm diameter and 70mm long (without the lanyard attachment). And actually the MonoLith is only 2mm longer.