Omniglow, glow in the dark Flashlight.

S

SW

About 6 months ago I read an article for a British Torch (aka flashlight) proclaiming it to glow in the dark for 8 hours and was waterproof. As a beginner at caving I thought that it would be great. Contacted the company, but no U.S. outlet yet. They actually sent me one of the things.

Has anyone else here heard of the Omniglow flashlight? If so, what do you think. www.glotorch.com

paulr

Flashaholic
It looks like they're just normal chemical lightsticks. In the US they're sold under the name Cyalume and other brands.

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
looks it's just a plastic flashlight with a layer of glowpaint; if it is, then the glow will last for the advertised 8 hours BUT faints very quickly and is likely to be hard to see after just a couple hours...

S

SW

Nope, it's not a painted on coating. It's a powder mixed into the injection molded plastic. And it does fade out, but I've seen it last the advertised 8 hours.

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
We carry something similar by LitePro called the Teknolite. Instead of the whole body glowing it has GTLS tritium locators around the head, which are guaranteed to glow for 10 years. They don't need an external power source or exposure to light to work. We are waiting for a shipment to come in so let me know if you're interested.

THanks,
Flavio
BugOutGear USA

AlphaTea

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
14C said:
BOG:
I was sure tritium was not legal for US citizens...am I wrong...hopefully?

[/ QUOTE ]
Legality depends on use and quantity...
A lot of watches have H3 (tritium) they are legal
Nightsights on firearms are frequently H3 and they are easier to get than the gun
It is not uncommon for exit signs in stairwells to have H3
Traser Glowrings are not 'legal' because they are concidered a novelty or a toy and could be handled by a child. Im sure if they had been classified as a Security Overide Collection system Nocturnal Location Verification Device (a keyring locator), they would be common place in the USA.

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
These lights utilized the same tritium found in watches, compasses and night sights for firearms. This is a US company selling them in the US so as far as I know, they are completely legal. Let me know if you want one.
THanks,
FLavio
BugOutGear USA