leaving leadlight GPL-105 on for hours at a time?

greenlasersrule

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

im new here, but reading some of the threads, it looks like a very useful forum.

i have just ordered a green <5mw green leadlight GPL-105 laser and am going to be using is for my homemade speaker laser show thinggy heh heh, i have used cheap <5mw red lasers which cost $10 or £5.5 each leaving them on for up to 4 hours at a time with no problems what so ever. still as bright as they ever were.

When i get my green one which costs a lot more am i likely to mess it up if i leave it on for 1-4 hours at a time?? i read that <5mw has 3 mins on and 3 mins off, but this would suck at a party if i have to turn it off every 3 mins. im prob going to ignor the advice and leave it on anyway, maybe reducing the lifetime of the product, but would it make a huge difference??

cheers guys, an maybe gals lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

StevieRay

Enlightened
IMHO you will destroy it if you leave it on for that length of time. Leadlight has a new model that has automatic power control and is much more stable. It may be able to run for longer times. Check with Arnold Beland.
web page
He can give you more info

greenlasersrule

Newly Enlightened
i have email him and am just waiting for a reply. i think he will prob be able to help me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

i assume the problem with leaving laser diodes on for long periods is to do with overheating, does anyone think that if i build a heat sink for the laser and use a cooling fan to help remove excess heat this will help solve the problem??