is haier a good brand?got a americana instead

raggie33

*the raggedier*
well changed mind. and got a loan but i needed a fridge got a 14.4 cubic feet americana it is americana brand but most pappers say general electric and homedepot said its a general electric it was only 299 so i think i did ok i never had a new one before imm kinda excited lol yeah i know i need a life lol.i didnt plug it on yet cause i had to put it on the side dureing transport and if i recall the oild will go out of copmreser im waiting to it drains back down

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: is haier a good brand?

raggie

I never owned that brand but in looking at my Consumer Reports, they never tested one.

I've bought a few refrigerators in my life and always had good luck with Kenmore (Sears). They've lasted many, many years.

I don't know if they make one as small as you need but you might check them out.

Marty

raggie33

*the raggedier*

cool ill check em out i do admit i love sears i love there hand tools and the aplicaes are good to ill look at webiste now

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

I've seen that brand in a few different places. I imagine it's made in Korea or China. Probably would be just fine. Have you looked on epinions.com? Good Luck!

Geoff

avusblue

Enlightened

Haier is a Chinese company and now leads the world in Refrigerator market share at 24%. They have historically been a major supplier of refrigeration components, and finished refrigerators sold under the major name brands, and have recently made a big push to develop their own brand name and roll it out worldwide. This is seen as a coming trend from Chinese suppliers, where companies that till now have manufactured products for U.S. brands will be branching out to compete using their own brands. This will be similar to what Japan did 30 to 40 years ago as they established their brands in the U.S.

Source: Deloitte Consulting report on China trends: "China -- The World's Factory" (DC is my employer)

Cheers,

Dave

PS -- I would guess they are decent fridges. I know they are carried at Wal-Mart & Target, and if they weren't any good, those retailers would dump them like a hot potato.

raggie33

*the raggedier*

that looks to be the cheapest on i can find its very small but i hope it has a good design to have more usalble space.i hate going grocery shoping so when i see good deals on food i by a lot i hope there are adds tomorow

Jack_Crow

Enlightened

R,
I worked in an exotic branch of refigeration so take this from where it comes.

On the sales floor all you see is the wonderful side of the product.

In the parts department you will see how it truly works.

I learned this lesson when I was car shoping. There is a Kia dealer in Leesberg Virginia. All kinds of nice looking cars out front. I went around back to the service bay, and parked out back must have been twice as many cars waiting for repairs.

I am real unconfortable with brand new products from overseas vendors.

This fridge may be a fine product. But every product fails sooner or later. If the parts can not be had you are screwed.

Ask people who have Fiat's. Since they are not imported any more they have trouble. Yugo's same deal. They have to go through hoops to get results.

Kia, is an interesting name. In the Army KIA stands for 'killed in action'.

Keep it safe
Jack Crow in Iraq

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast

I assume that China has improved their quality using TQC (Total Quality Control):

Attributed to Wall Street Journal--Around 1989

[ QUOTE ]
Bejing.....Eighteen factory managers were executed for poor product quality at Chien Bien Refrigerator Factory on the outskirts of the Chinese capital. The managers-12 men and 6 women-were taken to a rice paddy outside the factory and were unceremoniously shot to death as 500 plant workers looked on.

Ministry of Economic Reform spokesman, Xi Ten Haun, said the action was required for committing unpardonable crimes against the people of China. He blamed the managers for ignoring quality and forcing shoddy work, saying the factory's output of refrigerators had a reputation for failure. For years factory workers complained that many component parts did not meet specification and the end product did not function as required. Compressors were cracked, leaked freon and the electrical sub-components were sub-standard. Complaining workers quoted the Plant Manager as saying, "Ship it".

Customers, who waited up to five years for their appliances, were outraged, he says. "It is understandable our citizens would express shock and outrage when managers are careless in their attitudes toward the welfare of others". Refrigerators are among the most sought after consumer items in Communist China. "Managers in charge of production and engineering failed to perform any useful corrections to the quality problems for the last 20 years", Haun said. "Our soldiers are justified in wishing to bring proper justice to these errant managers." The executed included the Plant Manager, the Quality Control Manager /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif , the Engineering Managers and their top staff.

[/ QUOTE ]

-Bill

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's a good thing that neither the Pinto or Corvair were ever made in China - there wouldn't be a live automotive engineer in the country /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Marty

StuU

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Marty Weiner said:
It's a good thing that neither the Pinto or Corvair were ever made in China - there wouldn't be a live automotive engineer in the country /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget the Chevy Vega....3 years old and you could put your fist through the rust holes! And that's in a state that doesn't usually salt the roads.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

That Vega had some fine floor mats, though. I'm still using some to protect my carpets from an early 70's Vega that my brother had. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you pay for your own electricity... Make sure you check the energy tag. I have seen small dorm-room sized refrigerators rated to use as much energy as a full size 15+ cu.ft. unit.

An old refer can be responsible for half of your electricity bill.

-Bill

raggie33

*the raggedier*

well the one i have now pulled like 4.5 amps and it ran most the times it didnt hold the cold well so lol anything willbe better looks like i may get a 4.3 cubic feet one way to samll but in my budget at 118 bucks plus it is that energy plus rateing but i may still get a bigger one

Saaby

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
i never had a new one before imm kinda excited lol yeah i know i need a life lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's ok raggie, I'm the same way. New toys are new toys. Period. I'm just glad there are 2 of us out there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

avusblue

Enlightened
Who knows -- it could even be a relabeled Haier. I'm sure you'll enjoy having cooled food again. Good luck with it. If it came from Home Depot they'll stand behind it.

Cheers,

Dave