Bought myself a "Little Giant"

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bought myself a \"Little Giant\"

I never realized that I was so taken in by infomercials but I was sitting on my sofa, looking into my patio and the overgrown condition of my hedges when suddenly a very slick commercial for the Little Giant ladder came on.

This sucker converts into 11 (or is 17) different sizes and shapes and..and..I just had to have it.

4 payments of $89 and it was all mine BUT I got free Fedex shipping.

Now I have to wait "4 to 7 weeks" for delivery. Why send it Fedex at all?

It really doesn't matter since it will take that long for the new Black & Decker hedge trimmer to get to me that I ordered off of the internet about 10 minutes after the Little Giant infomercial ended.

If only I could find someone to stand on the Little Giant and wave the hedge trimmer around for me while I do something less exhausting.

Marty

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Bought myself a \"Little Giant\"

You will love it. We carry two(!) on the rig.

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast

I got few pics, if you care...

cy

Flashaholic

I wanted a little giant ladder for years, but choked on the price. Finally found a used M17 1A little giant for $90. Then I found another used M22 little giant for $125. Needless to say I jumped on both of them.

Been very happy with the performance. Those corny infomercials are right on. All my ladders except the little giants goes unused.

Seldom use the platform attachment, don't have the leveler.

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast

cy

I never thought that I'd get excited about a ladder but I'm really looking forward to getting this.

I had to call Customer Service today to tweak my order and they were very efficient as well as opening at 5:30 AM MST.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast

Pretty interesting you posted this now; I was thinking about posting about this very thing to see if it was a bunch of malarkey or not- I actually sat through two episodes of the infomercial just because I was intrigued by the concept. I think they kinda overdid the Jaguar growl sound with the logo blurb though.
Only thing is when the big guy was using the platform; I wonder how he would have gotten around it if he didn't have a handy helper putting it on and taking it off. It did seem impressively stable with him on it-
I didn't know they offer it in all the different lengths and load ratings ; which is the one they sell from the infomercial?
I'd like to see it in action first hand before plunking down the money though-

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast

The 340 pound guy bouncing up and down on the ladder was interesting as well as the "stage crew" of about 8 people suspending themselves on the rungs.

I'm going to use mine for painting my interior, hanging pictures and trimming the hedges. I figure that the learning curve on all of the configurations might be pretty steep.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is this the one you bought?
Model 22 Type 1A "Original" Little Giant Ladder, part number 103
If you have the phone number from the infomercial, I'd like to give them a jingle-

mahoney

Enlightened

I haven't seen the infomercial, but I've used Little Giants for years. They are very sturdy and a bit heavy, at least in the 1A version. Take your time setting it up, you can pinch fingers lots of places if you get careless.
The platform is handy as a tool shelf and if you are going to be up on the ladder for a while, it is nice to have a flat place to stand. But I found climbing over the platform and kicking it out and then reversing the process to go down a bit tricky the first few times so it's worth practicing at a low level first. We have the leg levelers too but haven't needed to use them all that often. They work OK and are more sturdy than I thought they would be.

Enjoy your new ladder.

cy

Flashaholic

I have found the load ratings of little giant ladders to be very_conservative. If you don't need the extra height, don't get the 22ft version. The most usable size seems to be 17ft in 1A rating. My 22ft little giant is type 1, but is heavier than most 1A rated ladders I've seen.

Edit: I use the 17ft 95% of the time including tall outside work. The 22ft only comes out as needed.

The only negative about little giants are the weight. All that strength don't come without a penalty. My 17ft 1A weights about the same as 22ft type 1 rating. I don't think I would want a 22ft 1A version due to weight.

I had a little giant 17ft type II that I briefly had and sold. I kinda miss that ladder, it was way easier to lug around, not as stable as 1A version.

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wingerr

The one that's in the infomercial is the Model 17 (model 10102). The phone number is 800-548-8208. Make sure that they give you a free platform and free shipping.

Here's the manufacturer's site.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks, I'll check into them- I may want the 22 footer, so I'll see if they have those as well.
edit: $396 for the 22 footer

Funny that they've been around so long and it took an infomercial for me to hear about them.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast

I never heard of them before the infomercial but they've been in business for 30 years. From the looks of all of their products, it is a very big business.

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast

Winger

I have used the Little Giant ladders since 1988. Back then, I purchase a window covering franchise (now I do all kinds of interior design).

The little giant 17 is good for 95% of all interior windows; on occassion I drag out the 22 footer.

The quality is second to none, kinda of like the SureFire of ladders. If you use ladders on a regular basis, you will be more than satisfied. Over the years, I can attest to at least 50 referrals to my fellow tradesman; carpenters, framers, painters, you name it. Most people that own a wing ladder, will "swear" by them. BTW, I was introduced to Wing ladders at the World of Window Coverings trade show.

Last, I own 6 of their ladders, and use them ALL on a regular basis (except the 22)

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, I decided on the 22 foot one just for those rare occasions I need to get up to the second story outside; I'm only going to have one, so I have to go with the larger one at the expense of luggability and extra cost-
By the way, Marty, after you called them back, did they say it was still going to take that long (4 to 7 weeks) before they shipped? Were they currently out of stock?
Really does seem like it's universally lauded, that's for sure- I just may perch myself on top of it just for the hellavit! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic

I always wondered about these ladders. Thanks for the info guys! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

A ladder I got about 12 years ago when I was working around boat yards is a telesteps . This ladder is small enough to keep in a trunk or pick-up bed and it sure came in handy! I use it around the house and having the adjustable length allows it to serve in place of a few fixed length ladders.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sounds good- With all the glowing reports, it's _got_ to be good (much like Smuckers-) ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast

Received mine today! I went out for a while and FedEx dropped off this large, heavy box at my door.

I had to chop the ladder out of the box since I certainly couldn't lift it out. I figure that it weighs about 60 pounds.

Now I have to watch the instructional video to figure it out. All-in-all, a well made product that should last for years.

Marty