Opinions Needed on new(old) truck

rycen

Enlightened
I know Diesel Dave will chime in here eventually but all are welcome to comment.I am considering a new vehicle purchase and would like opinions.The vehicle in question is a 1994 Chevy Blazer 2D Full Size.I think they're based on the same platform as the PU trucks so opinions on those would be welcome as well.Also looking for good places to get accessories for it, cosmetic as well as functional.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Aside from the fact that it is now 10 years old, if it's nice and at a good price, you could do worse.

By the mid 90's, the big three automakers had it pretty much together.

I'm kind of a Ford nut, but the GM 5.7L V-8 is one of the all time engines! If it looks good, runs good, shifts good, goes straight, and brakes good... it should be a winner.

Good luck! And try JC Whitney for some parts.

avusblue

Enlightened
I love the looks of those 2 door full sized Blazers/Tahoes!

92124151990210LRG.jpg

97124151990312LRG.jpg

I have no idea why GM discontinued them, as I know they are still in strong demand. The trucks are generally solid, I know one thing to watch out for is the engines can develop leaky intake manifold gaskets, resulting in coolant getting into the oil and if ignored, damaging the main bearings of the engine. It's expensive (lots of labor) to replace those gaskets. Otherwise, its mainly condition of the truck and assessing whether preventive maintenance was done by the previous owner(s). Tires, brakes, shocks, fluid changes, etc. You may want to consider whether it was ever used for heavy towing -- that is tough on the tranny. One other thing I remember -- check the condition of the rear door gaskets -- they deteriorate and start to leak over time, and the're a hassle to replace. (this from experience with my Dad's Tahoe -- it has the rear "barn doors" but I think most of the 2 door models have the tailgate).

As far as accessories and upgrades, Performance Products is a good place to check -- they mail out a nice catalog.

Good luck and let us know what you do. Post a pic if you can!

Cheers,

Dave

Bill.H

Enlightened
Is that the chassis with the gas tank mounted outside the frame rails, or the later version? Sorry, I don't remember the years they did that, but it's something to look out for.

rycen

Enlightened
I will check out the gas tank.I also prefer the 2D full size as it is big but not so big.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tank outside the rails was only on trucks and was on the 73-87 models. The Blazers of that era it was between the rails where the spare tire is on the trucks (I took my drivers test in a 79). Plus the news team that first aired the story later had to publish a very fine print retraction because they had to use explosives to make the video for the story. The metal in those old trucks was so strong that the tank outside the rails was better protected than the tank in most cars today.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
It gets brought up on one forum or another every so often so either it stays fresh or I'm on too many forums. I still like the 2door blazers, wish I still had the 79. Would probably convert it over to a late model 6.5L Diesel if I did, can get better milage than my s10. Parents never did let me go topless in the 79 thought they were afraid it would leak once we put it back on, it wouldn't mattered anyway as they were too cheap to buy it with carpet and non plastic seats.